Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
100% possible. I too had one boot shimmy loose while riding, the tach started going nuts.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Yes it could cause a vacuum leak, there's alignment marks on the engine boots.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I got my new intake boots today and i see the marks ill make sure they are lined up properly. One more thing if anyone could help. I removed the thermostat housing today in preperarion to remove the carbs. While i was draining the coolant none came out of the bottom plug or the right hand rear cylinder plug i only got a small amount of coolant out of the left hand front cylinder plug and avout a third of a gallon or maybe a little more out of the radiator. I noticed a lot of rust. Should i be concerned about their only being coolant out of one of the engine plugs? I think i will gravity flush the engine with water that way i dont break anything by using a hose to flush it. Bike seemed last time i rode it to be cooling fine. Any help here would be appreciated. Also thanks to everyone for your advice i am new to bikes and learning a lit form you all

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
I got my new intake boots today and i see the marks ill make sure they are lined up properly. One more thing if anyone could help. I removed the thermostat housing today in preperarion to remove the carbs. While i was draining the coolant none came out of the bottom plug or the right hand rear cylinder plug i only got a small amount of coolant out of the left hand front cylinder plug and avout a third of a gallon or maybe a little more out of the radiator. I noticed a lot of rust. Should i be concerned about their only being coolant out of one of the engine plugs? I think i will gravity flush the engine with water that way i dont break anything by using a hose to flush it. Bike seemed last time i rode it to be cooling fine. Any help here would be appreciated. Also thanks to everyone for your advice i am new to bikes and learning a lit form you all
Maybe the system wasn't full?

Flushing with a garden hose won't hurt it. I like to flush and back flush, flushing the water in all directions, like backwards from normal flow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Maybe the system wasn't full?

Flushing with a garden hose won't hurt it. I like to flush and back flush, flushing the water in all directions, like backwards from normal flow.
How would i do it backwards? I would like to try

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
How would i do it backwards? I would like to try
Just run the garden hose into every available hose fitting or pipe until the water comes out clear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok thank you ill do that. I got the carbs off today and noticed an issue right away the front carb slide doesnt do the "woosh" like it should just falls down with no resistance or indication of vacuum, the rear does have the "woosh". Also the front leaked gas out of every hose including the hose that t's and runs to the right "ear" air filter housing. I will get them apart tomorrow but is their anything specific i should look for that could cause the excessive leaking? And im assuming the "woosh" problem is probably the diaphragm either ripped or not installed correct.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Ok thank you ill do that. I got the carbs off today and noticed an issue right away the front carb slide doesnt do the "woosh" like it should just falls down with no resistance or indication of vacuum, the rear does have the "woosh". Also the front leaked gas out of every hose including the hose that t's and runs to the right "ear" air filter housing. I will get them apart tomorrow but is their anything specific i should look for that could cause the excessive leaking? And im assuming the "woosh" problem is probably the diaphragm either ripped or not installed correct.

Look for chunks of debris that can block the float needle open. Make sure the jets are open and clean.

Yes, check the diaphragms closely.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I posted this last week or so, real thorough view of what you should be checking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So I tore into my carbs today I found the front carb diaphragm has a huge tear and is not repairable also the enrichment valve or air cutoff valve diaphragm was disintegrating and pieces of rubber were all over inside the carb. Also I found gas that had turned to like plastic 😅 I have everything to repair these except a new slide diaphragm any advice on where to get one? Also the float bowls are seized together probably the plastic lookin gas deposits gluing them in (my guess) any advice on how to get these screws out?

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
Diaphragm parts maybe eBay or partzilla, as for the bowl screws definitely get yourself a JIS screwdriver. Great tool for working on Japanese vehicles. I have a vessel screwdriver that has a built in impact. Pretty nifty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Diaphragm parts maybe eBay or partzilla, as for the bowl screws definitely get yourself a JIS screwdriver. Great tool for working on Japanese vehicles. I have a vessel screwdriver that has a built in impact. Pretty nifty.
I am using a jis screw driver their just so stuck on they womt budge and its starting to strip. I have new hardware came in my all balls carb kits was just looking for a trick if anyone knew a way to free up the gasy glue thats holding them in. Guess its time for the dremil and a flat head since i dont have to reuse them

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
A good soak in Seafoam should break down the varnish if it’s an exposed area. I don’t know if it will penetrate the screws though. Not sure how quickly it would work either. The carb bodies are expensive so may be worth taking the slow approach.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you can get a pair of vice grips on the screw head that can sometimes give good leverage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Update got all tge screws out one with vice grips and the others using a dremil to make a slot then my impact. These carbs have little peices of the enrichment diaphram all over in here. Should i worry that chunls of rubber have gotten into the engine?

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Update got all tge screws out one with vice grips and the others using a dremil to make a slot then my impact. These carbs have little peices of the enrichment diaphram all over in here. Should i worry that chunls of rubber have gotten into the engine?
No, just make sure all the chunks are picked out of the carbs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok i have the torn diaphram on the front carb its a big tear so i dunno if it is fixable. I was thinking maybe using a light tape and some spray rubber over it maybe that will work? I ordered new rubber diaphragms just in case i cant fix it anyone know of a link on how to switch out just the rubber?

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Ok i have the torn diaphram on the front carb its a big tear so i dunno if it is fixable. I was thinking maybe using a light tape and some spray rubber over it maybe that will work? I ordered new rubber diaphragms just in case i cant fix it anyone know of a link on how to switch out just the rubber?

There's a web page and a video in that thread.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
What carbs do our bike have it looks nothing like the cvk34 i see on google? The clymer doesnt specify? I just wanna know for my own notes.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts