Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finished painting my bike and got it all back together and the gasket on the petcock lost its gaskety abilities and it leaked gas all over. Fortunately no fire again. And hopefully my paint isn't ruined and have to repaint the tank again. Should I get a new gasket (obviously) or can I use some of that make a gasket stuff and put it over the gasket?
Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Is it easy to get gaskets?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Yup! Get a new one, It's actually an o-ring and I dont think you can make one.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah but I wanna ride today.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Yeah but I wanna ride today.
do u have a bike shop near you or a salvage yard? or know of somone with a kawasaki thats not running? if u pull it out and take it to a hardware store that sells orings you may be able to find one that works
lance and slim are correct either way you should get a new one,
maybe try one min gasket but this is a recomendation i wouldnt even attempt unless i was out in the middle of nowere and no other options, good luck in your endevers and if its any help i wanna ride too but its gonna have to wait till my bike is ready... good luck

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a funky oval shaped o-ring or oval-ring. its too late on a sunday to get anything. I wouldn't want a used one anyhow. I have a used one and it don't seal. i'll just have to wait. I have a new part for the petcock. the gasket with all the holes in it. figured I get that replace now too. anyother gaskets I should change while i'm at it? I was looking at a diagram on ron ayers and there a few gaskets in there. (I'd show it but I'm on my PALM) the one I need for sure is the one that seals the whole petcock to the tank.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
oh and seebeeare you gonna keep trying to get sympathy bout your bike ;)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Here's the diagram. I need pn 51309 and I have 11009
http://tinyurl.com/crfauc
anyother parts I should do?
The full part # is 51039-003. You can soak the old o-ring in Laquer Thinner, it will expand the rubber. Do it for one minute at a time or it will expand too much.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so none of the local dealers have the part. they would all have to order it. freakin blows

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
so none of the local dealers have the part. they would all have to order it. freakin blows
Call them and see if the have Three Bond 1194 Liquid Gasket, it is chemical and fuel resistant. Put some under the o-ring and on top of the o-ring and install, it will never leak again. Most Harley dealers also carry it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it woulda been fine if I hadn't removed the petcock (is it petcock?) If I get a new one on there it'll be okay. I like the laquer thinner idea. I just don't want to have to deal with getting the gas out of the tank again, if it don't hold. I want to do this once and be done with it. I'm gonna get all the seals that make up the thing too. The weather here is gonna be ****ty for the next week any how. And now with the gas that did leak out I have to touch up the paint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts