Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Young Rider
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im on my motor holiday in germany.
Twice now during driving my bike goes haywire.
The rpm tacmeter goes balistic.
Engine backfires and all electric conk out.
Sometimes it comes back start motor and conks out again.
Open fuse box check fuses and nothing wrong bought new ones just in case.
And after taking fuses out it seemed stable but 50miles out it happened again.
Had difficulty starting any way.
Its stable for now again.
But before i go again tomorrow maybe you guys have ideas.
Im in kind of a pickle.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
yes but after the bike cools down you may be able to restart and it will run until it heats up again

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
ALSO check your ground connection, ground strap to frame and engine ground.

If you are on the road, you most likely won't be able to take apart the ignition switch. I suggest rotating the key several times back and forth past the start position and hopefully it will scrape the contacts clean enough to get you through your holiday.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
The ignition switch does several things. I recommend putting WD-40 in it to try and clean it out. Spray some in, then stick the key in and turn it off and on several times. It could be just worn out. But then there is the fuse box thing, which would be unrelated to the ignition switch. Do you mean the junction box.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The fuse box...also know as the Junction Box is a sealed unit... other than the fuses, there is not much you could check.
Possibly a loose connection to the Junction box....try unplugging and re-inserting the plugs going to it. maybe just a dirty contact.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Loose Spade Connections?

julias, Remember me telling you about having to pinch the female side of the spades in the connector to make them fit tight enough to make good contact? It was when my fan had quit working.

I could tap on the wire bundle in the plug where it plugs into the box and the fan would start/stop. Your tapping on the fuse box sounds very similar.

The hardest part is finding something to release the lock on each spade to slide it out of the plug. I used a piece of solid copper bell wire to push in on the locks, a paper clip may work. Then I gave each edge of the spade a squeeze with pliers to make them a tight fit. Next I gave them all a shot of 5-56, similar to WD-40.

The spades will lock back in when slid into the plug. Have to be careful since the plastic in the plug can get brittle on older bikes.

Do them one at a time so they don't get mixed up and note which way the spade is turned, they'll only lock one way.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
suggest checking battery connections, ground straps like KC said, and all JB / fuse box plugs, remove them, install some dielectric grease and re-insert.

good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts