Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help needed can you identify this diode??? now with photo

HI my igniter wasn't working well so I pulled it apart and found some corrosion along the edge this part was damaged and fell apart as soon as I touched it. I'm not sure how to identify it. It has a black band and a silver band but that's all I can see. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry posted without pics not sure how to do it. I will post them when I work it out. The wire coming out of the other end is missing.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
HI my igniter wasn't working well so I pulled it apart and found some corrosion along the edge this part was damaged and fell apart as soon as I touched it. I'm not sure how to identify it. It has a black band and a silver band but that's all I can see. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry posted without pics not sure how to do it. I will post them when I work it out

You have to complete 5 or 6 posts or something like that before you can post pics. Have to make sure your not a spambot, lol.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Kind of hard to identify that diode from just a photo. Did u try to google diode identification? As far as the black band almost all diodes have that. It identifies the polarity.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
judging from the picture, it does appear to be a glass encased diode (as opposed to a plastic cased, which are more common these days).

as for the type, I cant help ya there. if you had another ignitor you may be able to get more info. but in many cases, these diodes are unmarked. Especially true of the older glass diodes.

A resistor will have at minimum 3 bands of color, if its following the standard color coding. it may have more, but the standards allow for that.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i have a spare igniter for cheap dont know how much the shipping is gonna run from texas to you but let me know if you want it

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
As a diode in an ignitor application, I would say it is likely a zener diode. Can't say what the specs would be for breakdown voltage, but the silver band may indicate a 5% tolerance. If it is a zener, the breakdown voltage will need to be known before a suitable replacement can be made.
If I was a betting man, I would say that it is a trigger at low current, and used in the 12vdc or less operating range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info. After looking at this through a magnifying glass the band in the middle appears to be clear glass. I thought it would be a zener diode but without the diagram for the board I guess it is kind of hard to know what the voltages are. I guess I will just have to get another igniter and throw this one out.
:hitanykey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts