Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after hearing how anybody could do this, i think we finally found somebody that was able to mess it up. I got the rear tire out of there and then undid the four bolts to (what I think anyway) the final drive. So then I went to pull it off and it slides down about 2 inches and doesn't release and wont got back in at all. I'm going to go and try and take some pictures so you can see what i am talking about.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
So you pulled the rear wheel, got the tire and its associated parts off, were looking at the part of the final drive that meshes with the rear wheel. THen you pulled the four bolts and the drive unit just dropped without releasing? It may have come undone up at the u-joint - not a big deal. Also, see if the spring is where it's getting hung up coming off the shaft drive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yeah, after looking ahead in the direction i think it came undone at the u joint. Where is that spring located at? I'm not seeing one at all.

OK, after many, many attempts I can't figure out how to get the u-joint back together and i can't figure out how to get the final drive to release

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
The spring should be on your final drive at the drive shaft - see pic. Don't get too stressed about getting the u-bolt back together - the more you stress, the harder it is. You can get to the bolt by going in behind the front bevel gear case (where you'd be putting lithium grease) and can get a better look at where you're off from there. But, really, it happens all the time; just don't try to force it.

One question: Did you final drive actually release from the shaft at all??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
After I took off those four bolts I then went to pull off the final drive. And instead of it coming apart like its suppose to the shaft just moved down a few inches. (pulled u-joint off) And now I can't get it to release or go back in. So to answer your question directly the final did NOT release from the shaft at all.

Any ideas on how to get it to release? Should it require a bunch of force to remove it?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
That's weird, 'cause the u-bolt theoretically is a stronger point than that spring. Have you found the spring yet? Sounds like something's jammed up at that point - hit it with pb blaster, maybe, and see if that dissolves something.

You can also just give me a shout: 301.834.6555 - I'm heading downstairs to watch poker (woohoo! Big Saturday night!!), but I can try to talk you through it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope, definately haven't found the spring yet. The final drive hasn't moved from the shaft at all.

Its too dark here now and I don't have a garage so I'm going to have to just try it again tomorrow. But it looks like I'm going to need some coaching then...

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Give a call tomorrow when you can see again - and if you can take a few pics, that'd be awesome. I'm guessing the spring is jammed in there between the sections. No worries - folks here won't let you down!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
That is strange, I looked at the Picts and you can see the drive shaft, the spring is in the coupler that is why you don't see it.
Try a rubber hammer or a 2X4 and a hammer lightley.
Might need a little persuasion, The O ring may have gotten jammed or something.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright...I looked like that guy in your avatar while I was hitting it with the rubber mallet. But after a bunch of hits it did release from the shaft and my splines are in good shape! Now I just cannot get the u-joint to go back together at all. Is there any trick to doing this?
Here are a few pictures to make sure it was the u-joint that came off:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
The u-joint itself has a female end up by the front bevel gear case - let me take a couple of pics (I just yanked the whole drive shaft out of Orleans) and see if we're looking at the same area. What I'm seeing is the male end, but I can't tell if that's the male end on the gear case or not.

Back in a flash (or two).

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Here's three pics - labels are self-explanatory. If what you snapped was up by your front bevel gear case, I'm thinking the shaft pulled off the gear case splines and you should be able to pull the entire drive shaft out of the back end of your bike (ha ha - that could've gone a number of directions there). If you can pull the whole thing out, it'll look like my first pic. That's not a big deal, you'll just want to line the drive shaft female end with the male end coming off the gear case (you might as well put some moly 60 on those splines since they're out); the go back to the final drive end, lube the splines, find your spring and install it, then put your final drive onto the shaft.

Clear as mud?? :smiley_th

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, well that was the male end of the gear case and the u-joint was in there also you just can't see it very well in the pictures. And right after I posted that I went back out to try again and it finally went back on. I really don't know what I did different this time though. But its together now, and I put some moly on the male end and then sprayed the u-joint with some lithium grease. Lubed up the splines on the final drive also and got it all put back together. THANK YOU SO MUCH for you help Cindy. I really thought screwed up there when the final drive wouldn't release. This website it very, very helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
:pepper: Woohoo! Well done! I know the feeling - seems like, "Uh, oh...I just broke my bike," but fortunately the bikes aren't as fragile as our courage (which, trust me, grows over time, too - a few successes and you start pulling all kinds of things apart -- just because you can!).

:beerchug:

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Good to hear that you got it back together.
Were the splines dry or could you tell what caused them to stick?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I think we need to add a "SC" on your devil Cindy, for Super Cindy !!!
Great job explaining, Cindy. And great job getting it all back together, Doug. :beerchug:
Oh, and the 'Persuasion' advice was right on, Chad :smiley_th

And that adds a new saying to the site...

"You're in good hands, with VN750.com!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the splines had some grease on them (although they have a bunch more on them now) so not really sure what cause it to stick like that. My guess would be the o-ring or like Cindy had mentioned the spring in there was jammed. Thank you all for the help, i took it for a test run yesterday and it ran great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts