Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again!

I made it back from my Kentucky journey and am back home safe & sound. However, I was rather disappointed as I realized after rejetting and the ear shave that I have lost a significant amount of gas mileage. I used to be able to put about 120 miles on a tank before needing the reserve, but on this journey, I was consistently flipping to the reserve tank at 85 miles.. This was extremely disappointing!

In closer observation, I would get roughly 66 miles (average) on the first half tank of gas. Then the second half was drained in roughly 20 miles! I was riding on my own so didn't chance it after I hit the reserve tank, I just made a B-line for the nearest gas station! I am about to be going on a long journey with mostly Harleys who run 150+ miles on a tank. I have been given the pleasure of planning the ride, so I spaced the stops out to about 100 miles each but that may not be acceptable in this state! Not to mention the complaints of the HD riders who will undoubtedly get tired of stopping when they're only half empty.

Any input on how to regain the mileage?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Undo what you did. I am back to the ears and the factory goat. I am still coastered. The mileage is better, the noise level is down.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I'll be doing that. Not only did I destroy the airbox to get it out ( I hated that thing at that moment), I think it's much easier to work on the carb with it removed. Also, I prefer the look of the bike without ears. It definitely looks sleeker IMO. I guess if there are no other options I'll deal with it, but that is extremely displeasing. I'm not looking for stellar mileage, but I should at least be able to meet the 100 miles/tank that my friend gets on his 1500 arlen ness custom.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I managed to get an air box back in without removing the engine. It was a challenge.
The only thing to do is figure out how to carry more fuel.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone ever hear of mounting a bigger tank on these bikes?

·
Bandito
160 Posts
What did you rejet to? I am getting about 110-115 out of mine. Running 140/40 jets shaved and coastered with cobra pipes. And that is running 75 on the highway, probably could do better going slower.

·
Registered
76 Posts
im runnign 142.5/40 and after the earshave(k and n pods) coster and rejet mine sucks some gas down

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I think you have other issues besides the earshave .I don't know what others on here are getting mileage wise, but I am getting 120 miles before I switch to reserve and taking 2.4 to 2.6 gallons to fill back up with 150 in the rear and 148 on the front jet sizes.I don't have a fuel gauge (sending unit is screwy) so I reset the tripmeter on every fill up,and around 120 miles it is time to go on reserve and I fill back up.I have an earshave and Jardine pipes and have reset the gap on the ignitors to .018. I do have the 170 rear tire and the 110 on the front,I also have the iridium plugs and my mileage goes down to around 35 mpg if I run it 75 to 80 on the four lanes,but other than that it is easy to live with.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
What speed were you travelling? I get around 48 mpg at speeds below 55 mph, and as low as 35 if I get close to 80 mph. I have the 110 tire in front, and the odometer slightly underindicates actual mileage.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was on the highway most of the way. In Ohio, I was between 70-75 and in Kentucky between 75-80. I haven't done many long runs on this bike, but that's quite disappointing IMO.

I'm shopping for a new tank and a bigger bike :D

·
new owner
79 Posts
I havent got a chance to do 75 much but lots of 55MPh stuff and I get about 120-140 miles out of a tank, and thats not the end, im sure i can get a bit more(not switching to reserve) my "fill to the top" drive and then fill again estimates put me at about 55-60Mpg.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I was on the highway most of the way. In Ohio, I was between 70-75 and in Kentucky between 75-80. I haven't done many long runs on this bike, but that's quite disappointing IMO.

I'm shopping for a new tank and a bigger bike :D
It is what it is. :doh: You can always opt to travel below 55 mph!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is the earshave strictly for looks or does it have a benefit? I'm assuming its the air filters on the side?

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Is the earshave strictly for looks or does it have a benefit? I'm assuming its the air filters on the side?
The earshave adds some horse power, but yes is also for customizing the look.

I generally ride at 55-65 mph(posted speed limit being 45-55) to and from work with some stop and go traffic in the morning and a good bit of stop and go in the afternoon on a side road(not highway), getting around 85-100 miles before filling up at around 1/4 to red line. Of course I also try not to let the tank get below 1/4 tank. I have noticed though that I do get pretty good gas mileage at 65-75 mph.

Maintaining a hwy speed of 75 mph I reach anywhere between 75-90 miles at half a tank. The other half does drain rather quickly Though, being at around 100-120 by the time I have filled up at 1/4 to red.

I would guess I get 45-50mpg below 55mph and 35-45mpg at around 55+mph

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
One other thing, of little importance...you were riding in the rain much of that time, weren't you? Water vapor displaces oxygen, so you may have been running a little rich.
And then there were the hills. But really, if you got more hp from the ear shave, you had to lose range from the tank. Anything else would be magic.
The Vulcan 800 tank almost doubles your capacity. I don't think it looks good, but hey.
The VN750 now has two strikes against it, for you. It is too small for your 6'4" size and too short legged for your normal trip. Check out the Vulcan 800. It is beautiful.

·
Vulcan Traitor ;)
80 Posts
I would guess I get 45-50mpg below 55mph and 35-45mpg at around 55+mph
That's a pretty wide range. 45 is nearly 29% more than 35. That's an awful big gap from one speed range to the next. My experience has been that when I ride primarily on 55mph roads (running indicated 63-64), I got a high of 48mpg (I think). On 65mph roads (running indicated 73-74-75-76) it dips down as low as 38 or 39. But, that's haulin around a pretty hefty feller (270ish?). I'm a little disappointed that this motorbike doesn't do a little better at high speeds, considering fairly small displacement. How come the behemoth monster (865 lbs) of a hulk BMW K1200LT can get 43-44mpg at those same highway speeds? Grr... ;)

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
That's a pretty wide range. 45 is nearly 29% more than 35. That's an awful big gap from one speed range to the next. My experience has been that when I ride primarily on 55mph roads (running indicated 63-64), I got a high of 48mpg (I think). On 65mph roads (running indicated 73-74-75-76) it dips down as low as 38 or 39. But, that's haulin around a pretty hefty feller (270ish?). I'm a little disappointed that this motorbike doesn't do a little better at high speeds, considering fairly small displacement. How come the behemoth monster (865 lbs) of a hulk BMW K1200LT can get 43-44mpg at those same highway speeds? Grr... ;)
two words gear ratio. Before i sold my 06 vn1500 classic fi it would cruise all day at 90 to 95 mph with me my wife and a full set of luggage. we were getting 150-175 on a 5.3 gallon tank. the more power you have the higher top gear ratio you can have and still pull.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did hit spots of rain but not even enough to get wet, just enough to know it was raining.

As for the VN800, that was my second bike (This is my 4th) and I DID love it! This 750 isn't my dream bike but it keeps me on 2 wheels until I can afford something more my size.

To be honest, the 750 is a little small, but with the addition of the engine guard and some highway pegs, it's much more bearable. As for the short legs, this is something I may not be able to bear. I ride in packs quite often. If I am always stopping the pack at each gas station we see, there is that much less riding we get in. Not to mention on this DC Trip coming up that I'll end up adding at least one if not 2 or 3 additional gas stops on the way. At an average of 30 minutes per gas stop (remember I'll be travelling with 20+ bikes), that will make our arrival time that much later and we're liable to miss the run to the Viet Nam Wall- something I don't want to miss and don't want to be responsible for making others miss!

The bottom line is that I think it's time to start shopping for another bike... I certainly want to keep my 750, but I think it's time for something at least twice the size.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts