Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:Originally Posted by centurynick
guess i shouldnt be hard on the 404's.................naaaaaaaaaa if i wanted to ride easy i would have bought a harley
centurynick, my 401 did much better than the 404...
Sorry but I did post in 2 different places... But...
HELP ME PLEASE!!! Well I hate to say this, but don't put that 404 on a Harley, at least not mine...
Seriously, I do need some help on a rear tire & pronto... I thought pretty good about the Dunlops after getting +/- 8k on my OEM 401 rear, but went to a Metzler ME880 on the 2nd rear and only got +/-6k out of it, so on my 3rd rear tire I went back to the Dunlop, but a 404, This piece of crap is gone, I mean slick as a babies rear in the center, not slight tread, but slick in 2,150 mi., yes I said just slightly over 2k...
And no nothing is rubbing or out of line...
I love ridin the twisties but need to go to a harder compound, folks that is about $0.10 per mile for rear tires when you count mounting and balancing...
I am considering these tires right now, and need to get one on order pronto, mostly its #1 wear then #2 stick and then #3 the dollar...
Tire size is 150/80/16

Avon AM42 Venom
Michelin Commander II
Dunlop 401 H D Series
Dunlop K591 HD Series
Maybe even try another Metzler

Which of these (or other) would give the best milage, I don't know how to tell which is softer and which is the harder compound...??? Are the speed rated tires softer or harder...???
I really need some help with picking a tire that will get me some milage...
Thanks, and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
The 404 is a fairly cheap tire, the main good thing about it is that it is available in a lot of sizes to fit older bikes. If a better tire will fit properly, use it. I get about 18K out of ME880s on the Vulcan 750.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
I'm not sure there is a harder tire than the ME-880, I get up towards 20K out of them. I'm guessing you're a big guy, you like to take of fast and use a lot of engine braking. There's not a lot you can do, except learn to change and balance tires yourself, otherwise life would be no fun at all! Try the Shinkos, but in your situation, you'll probably only get 5-7K out of them.

The speed rating comes from the ply construction, not the compound.

Good Luck!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you want mileage.....go to the Dark Side. :)

Personally, I'd pick the Venom. Or just buy a stack of Shinko's....
Ha, ha, I think I'm already on the dark side here ridin a Sportster...lol...
I am kinda leaning toward the Venom, or maybe the Michelin Commander II, they are claiming some good milage with it... I know for sure I won't go with the 404 Dunlop...

Kelly2001, you are about right, but I am too old to change, you know the sayin, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"...lol... You are also about right on the Metzler ME-880, I got around +/-6K out of it...

I can't find any personal reviews on the Michelin but here is the company biased review...lol...

"Commissioned third-party tests* show that the MICHELIN Commander II rear tire lasts almost twice as long as its main competitors*

*Tests conducted by Texas Test Fleet in 2011 on public roads comparing MICHELIN Commander II, Metzeler ME880 and Dunlop D407/408 in sizes 130/80 B 17 (front) and 180/65 B 16 (rear). Individual results may vary depending on motorcycle type and operating conditions."

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Ha, ha, I think I'm already on the dark side here ridin a Sportster...lol...
I am kinda leaning toward the Venom, or maybe the Michelin Commander II, they are claiming some good milage with it... I know for sure I won't go with the 404 Dunlop...

Kelly2001, you are about right, but I am too old to change, you know the sayin, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"...lol... You are also about right on the Metzler ME-880, I got around +/-6K out of it...

I can't find any personal reviews on the Michelin but here is the company biased review...lol...

"Commissioned third-party tests* show that the MICHELIN Commander II rear tire lasts almost twice as long as its main competitors*

*Tests conducted by Texas Test Fleet in 2011 on public roads comparing MICHELIN Commander II, Metzeler ME880 and Dunlop D407/408 in sizes 130/80 B 17 (front) and 180/65 B 16 (rear). Individual results may vary depending on motorcycle type and operating conditions."

I had wear problems out of the 404,about the same kind of mileage you got,It took a lot of talking but some other riders convinced me to buy an Elite 3 by Dunlop,actually a set of them.After abut the same mileage the 404 was like yours ,you can't tell these are even starting to wear! and they handle pretty good too,even on wet pavement.

I have heard good things about the Commanders too,It seems with Dunlop that you do get what you pay for.So far,So good,I would recommend the Elite 3 and it comes either bias ply or radial.

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Got 14,000 miles on my rear Pirelli MT 66 tire. Front one is still on.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Denny, I called and talked to the people at Motorcycle Super store and they seemed to think that the Michelin Commander would do good by me, and it was reasonable at $130... I know Dunlop has better tires than the 404 because the 401 OEM was good... I had just took the cheap route when I bought the 404, it looks just like the 401 and I thought it was just a rip, not so, the 401 is well worth the difference in price over the 404, at least in my opinion...

flitecontrol, I would be jumping with joy at that 14k milage from a rear, I might get that out of a front, but not a rear...

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
OD, I've been using D404 front and rear for many years. I have always gotten more than 8000 miles out of them and I run them hard. A very high percentage of bikes around here run on 404s. I would have Dunlop check out your tires. Something is not right.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Denny, I called and talked to the people at Motorcycle Super store and they seemed to think that the Michelin Commander would do good by me, and it was reasonable at $130... I know Dunlop has better tires than the 404 because the 401 OEM was good... I had just took the cheap route when I bought the 404, it looks just like the 401 and I thought it was just a rip, not so, the 401 is well worth the difference in price over the 404, at least in my opinion...

flitecontrol, I would be jumping with joy at that 14k milage from a rear, I might get that out of a front, but not a rear...
I think you will like the Commanders. I read over on the VROC board one guy only got about 2000 more miles out of a car tire than he did the Commander and he stated emphatically he was going back to the Commanders.

I believe you on the HD branded Dunlop,My buddy put one on the back of his Electra Glide when I put a set of 404's on my 1500,similar bikes weight wise and he is still running his with very little wear.I wore out a set of 404's in two mos. and went with the elite 3.As for the Metzelers most are Brazilian made now and aren't near the tire they used to be.

The Michelin,Avon and E3 Dunlop were the top three recommended tires when I posted over there about tire wear,so I think any of the three will save you money in the long run.Mine were in stock at the local Honda dealer and they mounted and balanced them for 10 bucks each since I bought them there.If I had ordered tires I may have went a different rte. but have been satisfied so far.Good luck on whatever you use.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JM2001, I would run them also if I got as much 8k out of the 404, but like the Metzlers, I have read that they have changed in the last 3 yrs., and are not the tire they used to be... I did e-mail Dunlop about the bad wear on the tire but did or have not so far get a response... I think Dunlop is about the only motorcycle tire that is still made in the US, but the 404 is not one of them... It seems like everything is changing these days, cheaper made, smaller amounts, and higher priced...

Denny, I believe you are about right on, I have never had such a sorry tire as that 404, it was hardly worth putting on, actually if I had went by the recommended indicators I would have changed it out well below 2k, but I ran it till it was absolutely slick in the middle...
As for the Metzlers now being made in Brazil, that could explain the change in them...
I had nothing at all against the OEM 401 Dunlops that came on the bike, best tires so far, including the Metzler ME-880...
I found this site yesterday after I ordered the Michelins or I might have ordered the Dunlop 401, K591 or Elete 3, I do buy USA if most things are near equal... http://www.usstuff.com/mototire.htm
I'll get in touch when the plans to go to Harlan are sorta firmed up...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
#12 Today, 07:14 AM
Old Dog
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

JM2001, I would run them also if I got as much 8k out of the 404, but like the Metzlers, I have read that they have changed in the last 3 yrs., and are not the tire they used to be... I did e-mail Dunlop about the bad wear on the tire but did or have not so far get a response... I think Dunlop is about the only motorcycle tire that is still made in the US, but the 404 is not one of them... It seems like everything is changing these days, cheaper made, smaller amounts, and higher priced...

OD, Thanks for the info. I was going to order D404s this week. I think I will look into other tires. I hate to do it because I know and like the performance of the D404 but I need at least a 8000 mile tire.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't believe it, the tire I ordered yesterday from the motorcycle superstore w/free ground shipping tracked to arrive today and is now at the local UPS delivery point...??? WOW, I didn't expect it till at least 5 days...lol...

PS-JM2001, my choices had come down to these... But your tire is a little different size and may not be available in these...

Avon AM42 Venom VB @ $156
Michelin Commander II ?? @ $130
Dunlop 401 H D Series HB @ $139
Dunlop K591 HD Series VB @ $153

Again I went with the cheaper but seemingly equal tire...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I'll not knock UPS anymore, this is almost unbelieveable for simple free ground shipping on my tire from Motorcycle Superstore...lol...
Order processed yesterday @ 9:32 PM and today is out for delivery @ 7:28 AM...
If I'm not mistaken that is less than 10 hrs. from processing to out for delivery...wow...
Of course I don't have it in hand yet, but if something don't rip, run, or ravel, things are looking amazing...

This mornings tracking info---
Location Date Local Time Activity
Tullahoma, TN, United States 02/08/2012 7:28 A.M. Out For Delivery
02/08/2012 6:15 A.M. Arrival Scan
Nashville, TN, United States 02/08/2012 4:38 A.M. Departure Scan
02/08/2012 12:07 A.M. Arrival Scan
Louisville, KY, United States 02/07/2012 10:10 P.M. Departure Scan
02/07/2012 9:00 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 02/07/2012 9:32 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Motorcycle Superstore & UPS...:smiley_th...lol...

LOL...Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JM2001, today I did get an e-mail response from Dunlop, are they reading this thread...???...lol...
BTW-The date code reads 0511 which is the 5th week of last year, so it was really toast before it was a year old and with less than 2k mi. ...

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding Dunlop replacement tires for your HARLEY DAVIDSON SPORTSTER 1200.

While the physical dimensions of a D404 are very similar to D401 , they have very real differences in construction, performance and grip,
We strongly recommend the use of the D401 in order to achieve the proper performance and grip required for this vehicle.
The Dunlop D404 will NOT handle properly if/when used on this vehicle.

Recommend D401 for your Sportster.

Should you need further information or assistance, please contact Dunlop Consumer Affairs @ 800-845-8378
or e-mail us."

I think someone there has been following this thread...lol...
To me & my experience, that says there is a big difference in the 404 & 401, (more than the money difference IMHO) I can vouch for the poor wear and handling of the 404, and also vouch that the OEM 401s did just fine for me...

Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
OD, Thanks for sharing Dunlop's response. They really didn't address the abnormal wear issue lol. After years of using D404s I'm moving to another manufacture. Good luck with your new tire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts