Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on abandoning the work life this year. Want to take a road trip at end of June/early July to get away. The idea is to disappear for a while then come back to work and close out any items that they forgot to pick my brain about before leaving for good. Figure I can take off for 2 weeks, maybe 3 tops. Don't want to rush. Want to take back roads. Camping for the most part.

Things of interest:

Old motorcycles/cars.
Local food joints and breweries.
Small local band venues--folk, country.
Backwoods used tool places (I think there is a cool place in Maine? I've read about.)

Possible events I'd like to hit:

PorcFest in NH (June 21-28)
StrangeDays (?)
Was there a VN750 group planning a get together in TN in this timeframe?

I'm thinking a round trip to New England and back.

I can't do it all. Wouldn't want to stay at any one event that long anyway. Any suggestions for events and must sees?

ArkTinkerer

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
where are you starting from?

what states do you want to go through/see?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting in central Arkansas.

Nothing I really HAVE to do or see. That is part of the appeal!

Running up the west side of AR would get me in the mountains fast. Then I could go east up in MO.

Could go down to Memphis and then thru TN. The run to Memphis is flat and boring though. Maybe go slightly north and then swing south to Memphis? Or run straight for the north east corner of the state?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
You may want to plan on swinging through the eastern half of KY and then south to TN and NC or North through OH it's all good riding and plenty of camping opportunities.

I am interested to see where this thread goes. I am trying to plan a couple of weeks on the road camping solo this year as well. I am also going to try to make a few stops along the way and ride with some of these guys a day or 4 in that time frame.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
You may want to plan on swinging through the eastern half of KY and then south to TN and NC or North through OH it's all good riding and plenty of camping opportunities.

I am interested to see where this thread goes. I am trying to plan a couple of weeks on the road camping solo this year as well. I am also going to try to make a few stops along the way and ride with some of these guys a day or 4 in that time frame.
Denny, if you're travels take you anywhere near Cleveland, Ohio, let me know and I'll reserve a camping spot out in that back yard for ya! :rockon::beerchug::pepper:

hell, I'll even set up camp for ya. tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, fire ring (with smores) and everything!:pepper:

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
I always figured if i was gonna roam for a few weeks I'd head west. Pikes peak has always been on my bucket list. then head up to the tetons and jackson hole WY beautiful place. . .

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
Starting in central Arkansas and ending up somewhere in Maine, is one hell of a ride! :rockon:

you could really hit some nice roads and see some really beautiful country.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I'd love to join up with folks at any point along the way! Any timeframe for your trip?
I'll probably need about 15 minutes notice:) but I can adjust ,I hadn't really set one. I plan on being even more disorganized this year than last.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Denny, if you're travels take you anywhere near Cleveland, Ohio, let me know and I'll reserve a camping spot out in that back yard for ya! :rockon::beerchug::pepper:

hell, I'll even set up camp for ya. tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, fire ring (with smores) and everything!:pepper:
Sounds good !! I guess I can plan on bringing my own Monster energy drinks since you are one of those Rockstar people . I have thought about 93 from one end to the other in OH, how near is the north end to you?

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
Sounds good !! I guess I can plan on bringing my own Monster energy drinks since you are one of those Rockstar people . I have thought about 93 from one end to the other in OH, how near is the north end to you?
come on now, I said "and everything", that includes Monster energy drinks too! lol

ah, the good old "Route 93".......well, RT93 starts/ends in Ironton, Ohio on the southern Ohio border/river and ends in Akron, Ohio, which it about an hour south of me via super-slab. but I can tell you some really nice back roads to take to get here from Akron. just don't be in a hurry to take them, they may add a few hrs on to your ride. but they will be worth the time.

come to think of it Denny, if you were to ride up here from Ironton, Ohio, you'd be riding literally across the whole state of Ohio! from the great Ohio River to the Great Lake Erie! from one coast/border to the other! woo hoo! :pepper::rockon::pepper:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
I'll be glad to see ya at strange days

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
come on now, I said "and everything", that includes Monster energy drinks too! lol

ah, the good old "Route 93".......well, RT93 starts/ends in Ironton, Ohio on the southern Ohio border/river and ends in Akron, Ohio, which it about an hour south of me via super-slab. but I can tell you some really nice back roads to take to get here from Akron. just don't be in a hurry to take them, they may add a few hrs on to your ride. but they will be worth the time.

come to think of it Denny, if you were to ride up here from Ironton, Ohio, you'd be riding literally across the whole state of Ohio! from the great Ohio River to the Great Lake Erie! from one coast/border to the other! woo hoo! :pepper::rockon::pepper:
Yeah, that is kind of a plan for me,but that's only a three or four day trip just messing around. When I come up to the Hill's I ride 93 from Ironton all the way to Logan or wherever we are meeting up. Which is usually at Michelle's at Rockbridge. Is Zanesville in the path of 93? This could be a week long excursion and I could get to see Kanuck and Chelle and you all and the Mock Clan and ease over to check on Nick Fury while up that way. Who knows might even venture over to see Mike and Kelly and Birdhunter over in that other state. It just pains me too venture that far north and try to make waitresses understand what am ordering.:BLAM:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hey man,

I'm planning on checking out the Wheels Through Time on my way down the blue ridge parkway late June.
http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/

Supposed to be pretty cool they've got a lot of old classic bikes and some cars as well.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Also, If you do make it all the way up towards Maine, might you might want to make a stop at Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. It's the highest point on the East coast and has a spectacular view. You can ride the bike up the mountain, or they have a Cog Railway with an old steam engine that will take you up.

They do yearly hill climb / rally racing up the mountain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZh-7hkNe4

Normal ride up the mountain on a bike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8mpDRnVzns

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Hey man,

I'm planning on checking out the Wheels Through Time on my way down the blue ridge parkway late June.
http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/

Supposed to be pretty cool they've got a lot of old classic bikes and some cars as well.
I have wanted to go there for a while, it's in or near Maggie Valley ,Correct? I am tying to get down there in May for the Annual SEVROC Rally. Want to try to meet up ? There will be several VROC members there which if you haven't joined , you need to there are quite a few members near you. I'll try to post the dates for you, if you are interested.

I just re read your post and see you are going down in June, I might meet up with you and ride down the BRP if you want some company.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Who knows might even venture over to see Mike and Kelly and Birdhunter over in that other state.
We'd be happy to show you around our great state. Maybe teach you how to speak right...:)

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
Yeah, that is kind of a plan for me,but that's only a three or four day trip just messing around. When I come up to the Hill's I ride 93 from Ironton all the way to Logan or wherever we are meeting up. Which is usually at Michelle's at Rockbridge. Is Zanesville in the path of 93? This could be a week long excursion and I could get to see Kanuck and Chelle and you all and the Mock Clan and ease over to check on Nick Fury while up that way. Who knows might even venture over to see Mike and Kelly and Birdhunter over in that other state. It just pains me too venture that far north and try to make waitresses understand what am ordering.:BLAM:
RT93 runs right through Zanesville, Ohio. Kanuck69 and 6of9, live right close to RT93. lol yeah, if you were to travel up RT93 through Zanesville and not stop and with them......there is no way you would live that down! let Kanuck69 know ahead of time and you just might be able to see Firetire2, also! :pepper:

I mapquested from Ironton to Akron, it said 235mi, 5 1/2 hrs. I'll tell you this.....it will take you longer that 5 1/2hrs! lol
sheet! if you take the back roads I tell you to take from Akron to here, it will take you at least 2 1/2 hrs.
if you do decide to come up this way and then head over to Toledo to visit Nick Fury, then head North up into MI., to visit Birddog and others, just make sure you pack you fishing rod and get in some fishing on all the great Lakes up here and there.
also, a warning, that the more North you ride the less fun the roads become. but I do know of a nice route to Toledo! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts