Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to pick up my restored bike from Lance next week. We are going to ride to Helen Ga. and around to set the rings etc. I can't wait. Only 1 problem-My pickup truck is down for repairs and may not be ready-this means I will have to ride the bike 450 miles to Florida. Any suggestions on how to avoid monkey butt, cramping etc. Any advice would be much appreciated :motorcycl

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Going to pick up my restored bike from Lance next week. We are going to ride to Helen Ga. and around to set the rings etc. I can't wait. Only 1 problem-My pickup truck is down for repairs and may not be ready-this means I will have to ride the bike 450 miles to Florida. Any suggestions on how to avoid monkey butt, cramping etc. Any advice would be much appreciated :motorcycl
Underarmor brand polypropylene underwear is a good start,I think wally world sells a cheaper brand although I haven't tried those personally.It wicks moisture away from your body doing away with one of the causes,plain old Talcum powder helps too.

Also stopping for gas will give you time to stretch and let things cool off .Also cover your seat with something light colored when you park if it is in direct sunlight,so it doesn't scald you as soon as you climb back on board.

When you start home take it easy and stop often as you need for breaks and enjoy the trip,after all that's what it is all about ,having fun,anyway.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Sounds like your about to do some serious riding. Congrats!!!....:pepper:

The advice Denny offers is pretty much spot on. Take breaks every hour or so, and use talc powder to minimize the butt problem.

If you love great bbq, you will pass right by some of the best I have found in the South.

While passing Columbus, GA--be sure to eat at:

a) 13th Street BBQ, and also

b) Country's BBQ. There are 3 locations in Columbus, which is where the restaurant started--the downtown location is in a really cool renovated bus depot. Retro, Dude!

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts

If you don't get the wicking underwear, at least wear something like boxers, so you won't have seams digging into your butt all the way. Or go commando.
Take a canteen of water, not soft drinks, and it never hurts to have a campers thermos of gasoline...the specially-made-for-gas one. It will get you ten or so miles down the road. Riding at night is easier on you, if you like that sort of thing.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Bicycle shorts or Under Armour or LD Comfort products. I'm using LD Comfort shorts now and while good, I'm not sure they are any better than Under Armour products which are half the price.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Oh and we want lots of pictures!!!! That means you have to stop frequently, which will help with cramping and fatigue.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Mustang seat.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Sounds like your about to do some serious riding. Congrats!!!....:pepper:

The advice Denny offers is pretty much spot on. Take breaks every hour or so, and use talc powder to minimize the butt problem.

If you love great bbq, you will pass right by some of the best I have found in the South.

While passing Columbus, GA--be sure to eat at:

a) 13th Street BBQ, and also

b) Country's BBQ. There are 3 locations in Columbus, which is where the restaurant started--the downtown location is in a really cool renovated bus depot. Retro, Dude!
You know a Fat boy Knows how to deal with this situation ....Now more on the BBQ JOINT,I didn't get fat being a vegetarian you know!!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Gold Bond, underamour ..the almost knee length kind. High quality H2O and stretch and talk with somebody at each gas up.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I wrote a reply last night, but left in a hurry and must not have hit the post button...lol...
I used a product from china-mart in a yellow plastic bottle with the name of anti-monkey butt...
It seemed to do ok, but with the seat on my Sportster I don't need it hardly as much, I still think about a Mustang seat, but seem to like my $380 more...lol...
I did about 400 mi last Sunday thru the old Hwys. (no interstate) and about 150 of it was serious twisties and was so tired the monkey butt was not a factor...lol...
I know 400 mi in a day on the older curvey roads ain't much for you younger folks, but it hits this 73 yr. old pretty good, but I'm ready and would love to do it again, and again, and again, and...lol...
BTW-Denny--Check my reply on the post "How good was the riding weather today" CRS got the best of me again...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Stay hydrated (water and/or fluids to replace electrolytes) and stop frequently to stretch out. Plan on at least one meal break. If you feel like stopping overnight, do so.
Ride safe.

·
Bat
161 Posts
My 3 lady friends use the wooden bead seatcovers...some are hefty ladies, others aren't , but they all swear by the beads that let the air circulate under their seats...none of them complain about monkey butt, and they ride miles at a time.
All the other hints above are good too...underwear, talc, lots of water...all good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the input guys--for this trip I'm going to go anti monkey butt and bike shorts or commando. Seems the most important thing is ventilation and keeping things dry. will post on how things go:motorcycl

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Well I broke down and ordered one today, a Mustang seat that is, so I am a bit lighter, $ 380 to be exact...lol...
I got the studded one for the 4.5 gal. tank... Mustang # 76142...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Well I got the studded Mustang seat today, and I reckon I understood wrong, it sets me forward about 1-1/2" which is the oposite of the way I needed to go... Very beautiful, and probably very comfortable seat, but I just won't be able to use it......
And guess what, Brown must have removed the packing slip, the plastic sleeve had been cut at the top and it was gone, and they were the only ones that had it... So if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all...:doh:...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts