Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1986 Model - Bike will crank and idle for indefinite period. As soon as you put the bike in gear and roll about 30 or 40 feet, it blows the main 30 amp fuse. We can bounce the bike, rev the engine, fan can run, lights and blinkers are fine, horn and flashers are no problem as long as it is still. Only when the bike moves does it blow the fuse.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you turn the handlebars from side to side without blowing the fuse?
Yes, I've turned the handlebars all the way in both directions many times.
I had already been searching this site and found that possibility. I've taken the right side plastic cover off and all wiring looks new....I moved the wires around and I don't think that's the problem.
Today, I'm gonna leave the seat off, put it in gear and walk beside it as I work the clutch.....
Any more ideas?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
does this year have that auto cancelling blinkers? could it be something in the tach?

go after anything that is motion related first by unplugging them and see if it cures the blowing fuse issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks....We're trying everything we can think of.......
I just bought two thousand 30A fuses!!

I need any ideas you may have.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would check the accessory leads in the headlight bucket and behind the right side cover... They might be vibrating while you move

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks...
We just blew another 30A fuse.....
...Cranked it up with the seat off and tried to walk beside it using the clutch.
Made it about 20 feet...we can hear the fuse pop even with the engine running.
It will run all day if if it's not rolling.....next is to push (roll) it without putting it in gear or needing the clutch....but raining now.....

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
It might be easier to check the cable first. Check the end that enters the speedometer.
This one is odd.
Any loose wires under the rear fender?
The license plate lights route under there.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
It might be easier to check the cable first. Check the end that enters the speedometer.
This one is odd.
Any loose wires under the rear fender?
The license plate lights route under there.
If it were in the wheel side, how would that make a direct short to ground? I said gauge side because if the cable is shorting out in there, when the cable spins it could make contact with a bare wire Anne three Speedo housing causing it to short out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
That's why I suggested the speedo housing....just unplug the whole assembly and see if it keeps happening.
It is odd that it only happens when the bike is moving. The speedo could be driving electronics in the cluster or the auto cancelling blinker control that shorts out when it sees a signal.

You have 3 other fuses that you could pull in the Junction Box and the bike should still run. Pull the them 10A fuses out and see what happens...it could help narrow it down if it is a lighting issue. Head, Tail, Accessory fuses....yank em!

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
A bare positive lead being flung around by the tire could easily hit the frame.
But now thinking about it, I don't suppose that would pop the main fuse anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts