Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this sucks! I have a 2004 750 bought new last year. with 3,000 miles on it. I got the sealed bat after reading this site.
I just rode upstate NY about 120 miles. everything great. Stoped for gas and rest and the bike started fine. Always has...

But I got to my house and let it cool down some then I hosed is down to clean it off. Now I can't get it to start. I get the power on lights but I only get one click when I push start.

Is my BAT dead? I have not car and it's 7pm so everything is closed. Im hoping that something got wet and when it dries...

My knowlege of this stuff is NOT good. Any thoughts?

-Evan
917-414-5735

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
after you try starting it....does your headlight come on. The headlight only comes on after hitting the starter button to reduce the load on the battery. If the voltage isnt high enough, then the relay wont energize, and no headlight. if it does, then it may be something else with the system.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Pull the left side cover and pull the plugs out of the junction box and the regulator (under the battery). Make sure they don't have any water in them. Then plug them back in and try again.

Thanks Hizzo, didn't think about the headlight.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Oops, I checked your previous posts and see that you have an ignition disabling alarm. You might check the connections on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I never installed that part of the alarm. I think the bat is not getting charged. I borrowed a car and went to Wal-Mart and got a changer. It's charging now. Since it dark I'm not going to try the juction box. I'll charge the BAT and in the AM see what happens. I just need to get back to NYC (125miles) and then I can take it to my dealer and have them check it out.

Thanks for your help.. :))

-Evan

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Sure. If the headlight doesn't come on when you are trying to start it, it could be three things. Cheapest - the relay in the junction box is going out. Not as cheap, but not too bad - the regulator is shorted. Finally, the worst of 'em all, a dead stator.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also bought a new BAT. Not sealed because that's all they had. I filled it and tried it and the bike started. But since the new BAT is not fully charged I took it out and now I'm going to charge it overnight. And make the trip back in the AM.
I wonder why my sealed BAT lost it' charge?

-E

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I've driven on a battery that wasn't charged just to get home. But my charging system was working. After you get it started, check the headlight.

If the headlight is still off, then you'll need to get on your way quick. Try not to use anything electrical, like avoid using the brake - use the engine's compression, and don't use the turn signals. Keep the speed up so the fan doesn't come on. Keep your speed up, but your rpms low, so the coils won't draw as much. Oh, I would maybe recommend pulling the plug to the regulator. If the regulator is shorted, then it WILL kill your stator. And from the dealer, that's about an $800 charge.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
The headlight only will turn on if it sees AC power from the Stator. If it is not uotputting and ac, no headlight. Correct me if I'm wrong but thats what I beleive to be. So if the motor wont turn over there will be no AC to activate the relay.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Ooh. That's a good point. It doesn't turn the light on until AFTER the engine starts. The stator will put out voltage while cranking, but it must not be enough to trip the relay.

So, Evan, if the headlight is NOT LIT with the bike RUNNING, then those three items apply - junction box, regulator, stator.

Thanks Chad for the correction.

Reactions: evan2000

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a similer problem try taking your ground wire off and
clean it the one that goes from eng. to frame.
Take right side or passanger side cover off and you can
see it there it's like rear of eng. in the center.
Clean wire & where it bolt's on eng. and frame see if
that help's.............it fixed mine............

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here a little updadte & question. So like I said I put the BAT i just bought in to see what happens. They say it comes with about a 75% charge. It's not sealed. the bike started and yes head lights on!. So I took it off now the charger I bought today has the yellow light for charging & green for done. When I put the new BAT on it says charging but when I put my older BAT on (WestCo Sealed) it keeps flipping between charging and done. I did try putting it back in and no start like it's almost dead. Could the charging system be OK? But the BAT went bad?

Anyway The new BAT is charging and when I get back it off to the dealer to check the bike out.

Thanks to everyone!!!

Evan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cegodsey said:
I've driven on a battery that wasn't charged just to get home. But my charging system was working. After you get it started, check the headlight.

If the headlight is still off, then you'll need to get on your way quick.
So if the head light goes on does that mean the charging system is working?

:confused:

-E

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Possibly. It means that the stator is putting out voltage, and the regulator isn't shorted out. But the regulator could be opened (as opposed to shorted), and no voltage is reaching the battery. Another possibility is that the regulator is overcharging the battery with 15+ volts, and that could be the cause of the dead battery. It would really help if you had a voltmeter to see what the battery voltage is when the bike is running. When you get a chance, you should get some form of voltage gauge to go up front by your dash. I'd recommend getting something that lights up. Here's one that I plan to get because it is not as obnoxious as the Kuryakin:
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BOVOLT

The reason I'm not for gauges is that you tend to get used to seeing it there. I completely lost all my oil in my car once although I had an oil pressure gauge, 'cause I was used to it being there. If it had been a light on my dash, it would have been an obvious problem. I've always seen a new light come on, or a change in color.

·
Now what
400 Posts
evan2000 said:
Here a little updadte & question. So like I said I put the BAT i just bought in to see what happens. They say it comes with about a 75% charge. It's not sealed. the bike started and yes head lights on!. So I took it off now the charger I bought today has the yellow light for charging & green for done. When I put the new BAT on it says charging but when I put my older BAT on (WestCo Sealed) it keeps flipping between charging and done. I did try putting it back in and no start like it's almost dead. Could the charging system be OK? But the BAT went bad?

Anyway The new BAT is charging and when I get back it off to the dealer to check the bike out.

Thanks to everyone!!!

Evan
Take the old battery to a battery shop and ask them to load test it for you. That will tell if the old battery is good or not. Don't bother having the dealer do it. Most dealers think anything you didn't buy there is defective and the cause of every known bad thing that ever happened to mankind. A dealer's mechnic told me a brand new Diehard battery was defective. Battery shop guy told me it could start his pickup. (A year later I actually used it to jump start my van!) Hopefully they'll be able to properly test the electrical system. You'd be a lot better off buying a digital volt ohm meter and measuring the voltage across the battery, while it's in the bike yourself. You start the bike and measure the voltage at 2500 rpm. It helps to have someone else work the throttle or hold the leads on the battery. Voltage should be about 13.5 volts. At least it has to be more than 12.6 which is plain old battery voltage. If that checks out you speed the bike up to 5000 and check the voltage again. Should be less than 15.something. If it's really high, the regulator isn't regulating and bulbs should start blowing out real soon, battery frying, that kind of thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the update...

I made it back on and went to my dealer. It looks like my sealed WestCo has a bad cell. I could not get it to charge. The new BAT works great and the bike is charging the BAT.

Now the WestCo is a little over a year old. Is this normal? Is there another sealed BAT I should look into?

Thanks for everyone's help. :beerchug:

-Evan

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
That's not normal. What's the warranty on those? Seems like you should be able to get some money back. As to the new battery - is it a Yuasa? I'm curious because I haven't heard anybody having trouble with a Yuasa wet cell. You should be able to drive on it for a while before it gives you any trouble - if at all. But if it does, you know how to fix it.

In any case, I'm glad it was something simple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi just a note to fill you in on my new to me vn750 well th voltage rgulator was dead and the battery woudn,t take a full charge so ipt in a sealed batt and i,ve bean on the road ever since thanks or all the inormation on the web site leo

1 - 20 of 28 Posts