Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help identifying the air/fuel screw. Pics Included.

I took a few pics, I believe the air-fuel screws are the ones above the hose with a cap that has a greenish tinge, but can never be too sure so I'm posting pics for verification. Thanks!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
i think so mine was lead i think

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couldn't get the plugs to pop off, I drove a screwdriver in and went to pry and bent the screwdriver but no luck with the plugs... Any advice?

·
Banned
448 Posts
The caps are aluminum, and they are the ones under the hose in the picture. I tried to drill mine, but couldn't get the right angle to do it, so I took a flat bladed screwdriver and small hammer, and broke the flange around the bottom of the plug, and pried the cap out. Took a little time, but I was able to remove them w/o hurting the carbs any.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dont drill above the vacuum hose!!!!! That greenish looking thing is the end of the rod that your butterfly valve sits on.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I took a few pics, I believe the air-fuel screws are the ones above the hose with a cap that has a greenish tinge, but can never be too sure so I'm posting pics for verification. Thanks!

NO No That is not the air/fuel screw. The screw is just below the vacuum hose. In the picture of the left side the hose clamp is covering it. It faces downward.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I just took a blade screwdriver that was smaller than the actual cap and I hammered on it. The cap isn't very hard, so I drove the screwdriver right through the middle and just pulled it out. No damage to the carb at all, didn't even touch it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I see, I had the wrong cap there, good thing the screwdriver bent and the cap stayed on then!!!!

Thanks for pointing out the right one!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, do you think that I wouldn't have to adjust the screws out as far to compensate for elevation???

Canon is over 5,000ft and the Springs is over 6,000, can go up quite a bit higher than that (like 8,000 all the way up to 11,000ft) but not too often

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Can't help you with this one. All I know is that I would get a nose bleed at that height LOL
Jim

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I just went out and tried to pop off the correct caps this time. No luck... The small round silverish (I'm guessing they're aluminum?) caps sit back in the opening so that you can get nothing underneath it. I tried working on one side of it by hammering a small flathead screwdriver hoping it would pop the opposite side out but no luck, instead it just scored the cap which I was able to get a bite to pry but no luck either!

How thick are these caps?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Well I just went out and tried to pop off the correct caps this time. No luck... The small round silverish (I'm guessing they're aluminum?) caps sit back in the opening so that you can get nothing underneath it. I tried working on one side of it by hammering a small flathead screwdriver hoping it would pop the opposite side out but no luck, instead it just scored the cap which I was able to get a bite to pry but no luck either!

How thick are these caps?
Very Thin. There is about a 1/8 inch gap ( maybe a little more ) under the cap between the screw. I used a very fine drill bit ( taped to only allow 1/8 inch depth hole and drilled a small hole in it. I then plucked it out with a sharp awl . Some have said they have screwed in a small sheet metal screw and just pulled it out. Just don't go too deep.
Jim

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
any idea where you can get replacement adjustment screws for our carbs, in case you strip the threads? Why didn't they just make these hex bolts... Well, I guess because they don't want you screwing with the adjustment of the carbs. Hence, the lead filled cover... Am I arguing with myself again? I hate when I do that. Never can decide which side to take...

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
any idea where you can get replacement adjustment screws for our carbs, in case you strip the threads? Why didn't they just make these hex bolts... Well, I guess because they don't want you screwing with the adjustment of the carbs. Hence, the lead filled cover... Am I arguing with myself again? I hate when I do that. Never can decide which side to take...
Here is one suggestion
http://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/pages/oemparts?aribrand=KUS&gclid=CO-93d3KgagCFcm8Kgodgnyztg#/Kawasaki/VN750-A17_Vulcan_750_(2001)/CARBURETOR_PARTS

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I really don't understand how you can't just drive a screwdriver through it. It was incredibly simple to do when I did it. I just whacked it real good with a hammer and the screwdriver went into the cap and made it bend and twist and I just pulled it out. Just make sure the screwdriver isn't contacting the carb itself, only the cap.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
I think I ended up using the tape on the drill bit, then used a smaller bit to pry it out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts