Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have bled brakes many times (this bike twice, the last time being in May) and haven't had any issues. Yesterday I walked out to my bike to push it on the other side of the street to avoid street cleaning. My front brakes weren't there. It took 4 pulls before the pressure came back.

My first thought was that someone knocked it over and air got into the lines, but there was no dings on the bike. No brake fluid leaked anywhere either. So, what the heck? I am supposed to take it out tonight. Should I bleed them again for peace of mind or is all honky dory now? The level in the MC looks to be at the same place as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that would be annoying. I think there are some ebay kits I can look at. How hard would you place this on the list of maintenance items?

I forgot to add one thing in my description- since I rode it last the temp has dropped unseasonably. It is usually 80 here and last night when I moved it it was 47. Maybe the rubber shrank with the temp.

I'll probably bicycle to softball tonight, but just to get a full grasp of the situation- is this something I can check for at the beginning of a ride and feel ok or should I simply not drive until it is rebuilt?

·
Member? ... check.
536 Posts
Hi Papa,
This is one of those personal decisions only you can make. I think I would still ride my bike without front brakes for a short time if I had to. You have geardowns to get you slower and a back brake to add to your awareness. I would still put the master cylinder rebuild high on my list (as in asap).

btw - my riding style has me normally relying heavily on the front brake for stopping. I just feel as though awareness of the condition of the bike balances safety with risk. Ride slower, more cautious, and ready for it. Again, it's one of those personal judgements. My answer may not be the politically correct safety poindexter approach, but I'm giving my honest answer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do enjoy being able to stop. Even if it is city driving. I think I will order an MC kit tonight. Saw one on ebay for $30. Looks straightforward enough *famous last words*

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well that would be annoying. I think there are some ebay kits I can look at. How hard would you place this on the list of maintenance items?
It ain't rocket science; in fact, it's relatively easy. Not any harder than rebuilding an older automotive MC, or a wheel cylinder.

I do enjoy being able to stop. Even if it is city driving. I think I will order an MC kit tonight. Saw one on ebay for $30. Looks straightforward enough *famous last words*
Thanks for the input!
Most of the rebuild kits I've seen are right around 27-30 bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Glad you discovered the problem just pushing the scoot around the parking lot. I'd wait for the rebuild kit as well. Bummer, since we finally have some rain-free weather, but I like stopping, too. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts