Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the second/fourth owner of my 750. Pulled the carbs since it was parked in a garage for over 2 years. Cleaned reinstalled, wouldn't idol then realized I didn't check/ clean the jets. Done, reinstalled carbs, now idols around 3500 and burned thru a tank of gas in 30 miles. Also when I lean the bike to the left, the idol increases, spits sputters and runs like crap at highway speeds. No mods yet got to make SHMBO happy before I start dumping money into the ear shave, etc. Possible stuck float? Any help will be great.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
First, welcome to the forum.

The idle should only be around 1100 to 1200 RPMs. There is an idle adjust knob on the left side of the carbs. Big plastic knob, should be easy to spot. Even then, if you are burning through fuel that fast I would suspect a stuck float or something along those lines.

The good news is that it sounds like you have had the carbs out a couple of times now so you should be a pro at getting them in and out, right? :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Also make sure the carb vent line runs into the hole in the right ear box, cut at a 45 degree angle so it doesn't bottom out (get blocked).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly yes, I've pulled them more than I care to admit. The hose going to the right side of the air box, would it be the line that goes in on the right side of the surge tank? I'm glad to have her back, but wasn't expecting to have the issues I am.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
no its the carb vent tube the one that comes off of the black plastic nips on the carbs and t's together into one line

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No ear shave yet. I've got pulling the carbs down pretty good so I don't complain about it much. The first time I had the bike, bought it from a shop who didn't have time to rebuild the carbs, so I got a crash course. Ran great after that, then had to sell it and all it did was take up space in the guys garage. The idol adjust would be great, but there is not one there anymore. the shaft broke off sometime ago. Knew where it was idoling prior which was too low so turned it half a turn when the carbs were out. Looking for a fix for that as well without breaking the bank as my wife would put it.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
half a turn is too much

i turn mine just a hair and the idle moves conciderably

try taking a quarter turn out of the thing

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully I'll have time to pull it all apart again tonight and triple check everything and figure out a way to engineer a knob for the adjustment. It has been a frustrating venture. Was running near perfection before it sat for so long.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Here's a photo of what the idle screw linkage should look like... it's the black plastic knob on the left, and the bit of cable attached to it that rotates.

Hope this helps with your fabrication!

:beerchug:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got her running and did fine on the 35 miles to work! I still need to adjust the idol, but thanks to some southern engineering I can do it with a bent phillips screw driver. Once I get ready for some mods, I'll bite the bullet and get the correct part so I can adjust while sitting on the bike. Sticky float was the issue. I have a missing vacuum hose somewhere. I have one that goes under the tank by the fuel gauge sending unit, but no spot on the right ear for one. Looked at the service manual, and said nothing about the one going under the tank, so I took it and mounted it behind the air filter. Traced all the hoses back to the canister and couldn't find a blank spot. Now to start saving for the ear shave,new paint etc!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts