Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and new to motorcycling. I have owned my 2001 vulcan 750 for about a month now. I've put close to 500 miles on her, changed her oil, washed and waxed her, made room in the garage, tried to do everything right.

Then, last night I was going to go on my first ride in the dark to my buddy's house. Started off fine, but, heading up a hill in 4th gear I noticed that the engine seemed to stop responding to any throttle that I was giving. I slowed down and stalled out.

After that, I could not get her started again. At first I thought that it might be something as stupid as having the petcock off, but no, that wasn't it. I had to push about a mile home (thank god for the 4-ways and not being too far when the problem arose). I let it sit overnight and the engine still won't turn over.

I am looking for any suggestions from you guys for a possible cause.

Thank you guys in advance, I've seen you help others in the past and hope that I can benefit from the community as well.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
By turning over I presume that you mean that it will not start. How old is the battery and is it a AGM maintenance free battery? Have you checked the fluid level if it is a lead acid battery? You need to get your battery load checked, and also check out the charging system on the bike with a volt meter. Check all your connections,especially the battery connections they come loose a lot of times, or you may need to clean them up so they make a good connection. This is only a few things you need to check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that, I should have been more clear. By turn over I mean that there seems to be no combustion occuring. The starter sounds like it always has. The lights are bright on both high and low beam, the instrumentation still lights up bright. The previous owner said that they changed the battery this year, and I have the reciept from them. So I'm guessing, (but aren't sure) that the battery is charged. I won't be able to be certain till I can actually work on the bike next week (busy), but any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Here`s a link to a pretty comprehensive guide for working on a bike. Check sections 12, 14 and 66.
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

In your case the first thing I would do is check battery voltage and charge it if it is low.

Got good charge,-pull all 4 plugs, and check for gas on plug or in cylinder. Reinstall in caps, ground electrodes against engine case and crank engine over.
Watch for nice fat blue spark at each plug.

No spark or weak spark- check connections.
Got good spark,- time to check for fuel flow. Poor flow could be blocked screen/filter around run and reserve pick-up tubes in tank.

Petcock is vacuum operated by middle nipple. Check vacuum and fuel hoses for cracks and tight connections.

Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Sounds like it may be starved for fuel. Is the petcock lever at the 6 o'clock position? Is the red kill switch in the RUN position? Have you tried using the choke (fuel enrichner) when starting? Try to start it, and check a plug on each cylinder to see if it's wet. Iridium plugs help many, but will not solve all, starting issues. Ditto the extra cranking amps of a MF/AGM battery.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I was sure that I posted here!! Some one ate my post. I can't find anywhere else.
All I had said was to make sure you have fuel.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I was sure that I posted here!! Some one ate my post. I can't find anywhere else.
All I had said was to make sure you have fuel.
I didn't steal your post, but I was thinking the same thing. Any chance you just bottomed out the fuel and/or reserve?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't steal your post, but I was thinking the same thing. Any chance you just bottomed out the fuel and/or reserve?
Still have fuel, close to a full tank.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll let you know when I've tried it all. Further suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
900 Posts
if you dont have a charger yet.. get one...get an AGM battery...but in the meantime...pull the battery out of your car...use jumper cables (car not running ofcourse) and try and start your bike.. if it starts.. its your battery.. if it still dosnt.. well then you have a fule issue or some other elcetrical issue and we can go from there...eleminate the easy stuff first.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Don't have to pull the car battery, just dont have the car running when you hook it up.

·
carbon unit
369 Posts
One thing about ourr bikes that's different from others is that there is a vacuum hose from the left carb that goes to the petcock. All my other bikes just used gravity feed. with no extra hose going to the tank. If that hose is disconnected, kinked or cut you're not getting fuel. It's like a failsafe I suppose...if those pistons aren't pushing /pulling air...then you don't need any fuel. So there's like an extra fuel valve that's automatic and it needs the vacuum to open.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's an update: My bike is running! .... funny thing is that I did not do anything to make it run. I got some more info on a possible reason why it died (but very improbable). My brother took a cruise and filled the bike with high test a couple days before it died on me.

Throughout last week I let my bike sit and tried to start it once to no avail. I finally had time to work on it this weekend and before doing any troubleshooting whatsoever I decided to try starting it one last time. Started hard, backfired, and then ran perfectly. I ran around town on some errands fine today.

It bothers me that I did not find any problem, so anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check that you fuel is on. As mentioned earlier handle points down to ground (6 0'clock). When my bike was new to me I accidentally turned fuel off while thinking I had turned it on. Was different from the Honda petcock I was familiar with

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
poogs maybe? check the vent on your gas cap and also no need for high octane on our bike, just use good ol 87. (phantom out of gas syndrome)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
High octane fuel is formulated to resist preignition.
It is harder to ignite than regular gas and that may explain the hard starting you experienced.
87 octane is the fuel recommended for the vn750.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts