Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So until today my bike was pretty solid. It started up fine this morning. I drove myself and my girlfriend to brunch at a restaurant. Then it started up again just fine after we were done eating. Dropped GF off at our apt, then got back on the road for a 3-hour ride.

After riding for an hour, I stopped on the side of the road to take a scenic picture. I started the bike, put it in 1st and eased on the throttle while easing out the clutch. As soon as I let out a bit of clutch, it STALLED. It didn't lurch; it just died. I started it up again, making sure the kickstand was up after opening the gas cap to clear any vacuum. Started fine, revved fine. Eased out the clutch - STALL. Again. Eff me.

I happened to be on a hill at the time, so I figured I would try rolling it into 2nd. I start it up, get it rolling down the hill in neutral, shift up to 2nd, then let out the clutch:

Well it stayed running, but any throttle input just made a "whooooom" sound. No power, no rpm change. Eventually I got to the bottom of the hill and the engine slowly braked itself to a stop.

My first guess is a clogged float valve, but that would only affect one of the cylinders. And why all-of-a-sudden after behaving just fine all day? And while I was passing through a state park that was closing in an hour? And in an area with no cell reception? :confused:

Any suggestions before I tow the bike back to the garage?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
It is the safety switch at the side stand. Spray WD or the like and work the switch. This should take care of the problem. You can by pass it, but fix it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just lubed the side stand a couple months ago. It has plenty of grease on it and swings out with ease.

How can I bypass it?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I do believe he is talking about the electrical switch itself - not the stand. sometimes the switch (which will kill the bike when the clutch is let out but the stand is still down) sticks or gets corroded on the inside and the thing will stick in the down posistion. Try unpluging it and shorting together the wires and see if you can get it to take off.:motorcycl If this is the case, you will most likely have to replace it. :wow:
Hope this helps.:beerchug:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hm, that sounds very plausible. Fits all the symptoms. I'll check it today, thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Try squirting some WD-40 inside the rubber boot over the safetey switch plunger. Helps mine when it goes to doing that. When I'm on the road and it acks up, I just lean over and pull the plunger out by hand. Be careful you don't tip the bike over though! Probably be safer to put it on the centerstand and pull it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before I drive an hour to the no-cell-reception region where my bike is sitting, can anyone describe where this plunger is? I can't find it anywhere in the manual, and I'd hate to get all the way out there and not be able to find it.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The switch is close to the top, front of the sidestand, where it pivots. The sidestand leg itself pushes the plunger in when it is in the down position.

Do you have access to a pick-up truck and ramp, when you drive out to get the bike? It would be nice to have a plan *B* for getting the bike home, just in case you still can`t get it started.

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts

This is a photo of the simple bypass. This will bypass all of your swtiches. BUT PLEASE BE CAREFULL!!!!! This is the best back-up, if it is a safety swtich.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Before I drive an hour to the no-cell-reception region where my bike is sitting, can anyone describe where this plunger is? I can't find it anywhere in the manual, and I'd hate to get all the way out there and not be able to find it.
I'm not sure if it is in the manual. All the suggestions are fine if in fact you do have the switch.....but the previous owner may have removed it. If you look where the side stand pivots it pretty hard to miss....if it is there.

Just so you know, there is also a switch in the clutch lever mount... I
forget what the hell the reason is. lol...but if you ever need to take the clutch lever off, you must be carefull not to break it.

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Just so you know, there is also a switch in the clutch lever mount... I
forget what the hell the reason is. lol...but if you ever need to take the clutch lever off, you must be carefull not to break it. KM
Yep, something flew off a truck and hit the bars in the clutch area and broke mine, it ran till I stopped and then the starter would not work, a push would start it though...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was the starter switch. You guys hit it on the nail. All I had to do was give the plunger a sharp tug.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts