Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to replace the interior liner and ear pads on my helmet and was told that if the helmet was older than five years I need to replace the helmet. I can get all the pads for $40.00, a comparable helmet is $200.00. I have been riding for over 40 years and have never heard this before. Is it the manufacture trying to sucker me into a new helmet? By the way my helmet is only six years old and I really like it. Just curious what other peoples opinions are.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,753 Posts
here's what I found....

Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

this info is off of Snell foundation web site. so what it's worth, there you have it.

myself, I can not afford to go out every 5 years and throw down $300 on a new helmet. so my "old", 5 year + old helmet is just going to have to do. the way I see it is, even an "old" helmet is better than no helmet.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
I got **** from a friend for buying a $20 dot beanie at a yard sale.he asked me if I had a $20 head

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
The rule of thumb is anywhere between 5 and 7 years.

Now, if anyone here says they cannot afford a new helmet every 5 years then they simply cannot afford to ride. That simple; they're not that expensive. You can get SNELL rated helmets for under $150. Why people care so little about their noggin is beyond me. It's only your brain case, what's $150-200 every 5 years?

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,753 Posts
The rule of thumb is anywhere between 5 and 7 years.

Now, if anyone here says they cannot afford a new helmet every 5 years then they simply cannot afford to ride. That simple; they're not that expensive. You can get SNELL rated helmets for under $150. Why people care so little about their noggin is beyond me. It's only your brain case, what's $150-200 every 5 years?
well, some people can afford to buy new HD's every few years and choose to not wear helmets. I am not one of those people. yes, some helmets are not that expensive. but the ones that I like to WEAR (which is the whole point of having a helmet. :doh:) cost a lot more than $150. so, my $300+ helmet is just going to have to last me a few more years than 5-7 years. yeah, maybe I "simply cannot afford to ride", but I still do ride! and let me tell you this, there were plenty of times that I could barely come up with with enough money to buy a tank of gas for my bike (3 gallons) just so my happy a$$ could ride to work and back home for the week. so, buying a fricking $150 helmet was in no way in hell going to happen. therefore it was either make do with my 5-7 year old helmet or ride without a helmet. I choose the lesser of two evils. sometimes a $150-$200 helmet every 5-7 years is just not an option.

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
Most of the recommendations are talking about the liner and padding, not the shell of the helmet....so I'd say replacing those but not the shell amounts to the same thing.

Fiberglass shells, carbon fiber or other composites do not deteriorate over time like the foam used in the liner. (You don't get a new hull for your boat every 7 years do you?) If your helmet is a polycarbonate shell, and not been painted...I'd replace it in a few years as this plastic does "age" over time...

What helmet do you have?

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,753 Posts
Most of the recommendations are talking about the liner and padding, not the shell of the helmet....so I'd say replacing those but not the shell amounts to the same thing.

Fiberglass shells, carbon fiber or other composites do not deteriorate over time like the foam used in the liner. (You don't get a new hull for your boat every 7 years do you?) If your helmet is a polycarbonate shell, and not been painted...I'd replace it in a few years as this plastic does "age" over time...
true and all good points. hmm, something to think about.......thinking, now that's something I CAN afford. lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, some people can afford to buy new HD's every few years and choose to not wear helmets. I am not one of those people. yes, some helmets are not that expensive. but the ones that I like to WEAR (which is the whole point of having a helmet. :doh:) cost a lot more than $150. so, my $300+ helmet is just going to have to last me a few more years than 5-7 years. yeah, maybe I "simply cannot afford to ride", but I still do ride! and let me tell you this, there were plenty of times that I could barely come up with with enough money to buy a tank of gas for my bike (3 gallons) just so my happy a$$ could ride to work and back home for the week. so, buying a fricking $150 helmet was in no way in hell going to happen. therefore it was either make do with my 5-7 year old helmet or ride without a helmet. I choose the lesser of two evils. sometimes a $150-$200 helmet every 5-7 years is just not an option.
I totally agree! Besides I think it is just a way for the helmet manufacture to make more money!

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
It's much like the binding for downhill skis. They won't adjust them after 10 years. Come on! Give me a brake...

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
there is a huge business right now restoring vintage MC Helmets by replacing the pads and liners. I just redid a couple of mid 70's Bell helmets for my brother and my dad bought for us in the early 80's. My sister was going to junk them when she was cleaning out the attic.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,753 Posts
Told by who? The shop selling the helmets? ;)
right on!

I believe if one wants to replace their helmet after 5 years, good for them. but if they don't, I think their helmet would still get them ample protection also. so, really, it's up to the rider to decide when the right time is to get a new helmet. I also think that if said person was to only replace the innards/padding of the helmet, that should be sufficient.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Yea the scientists that formulate the foam in the helmets have no idea what they're talking about when they specify shelf life.

It's one thing to ignore safety, but it's entirely another to encourage others to ignore it as well.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,753 Posts
Yea the scientists that formulate the foam in the helmets have no idea what they're talking about when they specify shelf life.

It's one thing to ignore safety, but it's entirely another to encourage others to ignore it as well.
to each their own. I'm not encouraging anyone. just voicing my opinion. take it for what it's worth.........nothing. doh!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts

Yeah I'd ignore the years of schooling and experience scientists have too.tomorrow I am building a rocket so I can start designing the new space station.I just need to cruise around up there to find a spot with a good view of the dark side of my ass.(when we gettin that sarcasm smiley? )

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
Yeah I'd ignore the years of schooling and experience scientists have too.tomorrow I am building a rocket so I can start designing the new space station.I just need to cruise around up there to find a spot with a good view of the dark side of my ass.(when we gettin that sarcasm smiley? )
but then again my helmet is six years old and left outside all winter.I got my spare at a yard sale.the dude I was with asked me if I had a $20 head

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Only power rangers spend 300 plus bucks on a helmet. One bump and technically its junk. I don't have those worries in pa

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
The pink power ranger was hot

1 - 20 of 45 Posts