Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of helmet do you guys recommend? i have a half helmet and its all fun and games until a bug smacks you in the face at 70 mph...

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Helmets are like shoes, buy what fits and has the features you want. Every rider has their own preference; so, asking for an opinion is kind of pointless. Just look around local shops and online. I am certain you will find one you like. OR, get a windshield for you bike. I ride with a half-helmet and a shield and hardly have bug problems.

Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a few full face helmets and one 1/2 (skull cap) I use the 1/2 helmet most of the time but I also use a bandanna around my face when it gets dark.. The bandanna helps with the bugs

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I always ride with a full face helmet and my wife rides on the back with a 3/4 helmet with a full visor. I'm sure someone will be along after a bit to post the picture that shows the stats on where impact most often occurs when a rider falls. :)

Some people will argue the merits of no helmet and how they'd rather be dead than crippled, some people will argue that it's full face all the way (ATGATT). Everyone has their opinions and the "facts" that convince them they are right. If you are going to wear a helmet, get one that is comfortable and fits good, DOT approved (Snell too if you think additional certs make it better), and that YOU enjoy wearing and riding in. Getting out there and riding is the important part. ;)

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I was actually looking to get a white helmet with storm trooper helmet details air brushed on it. But I do like that first one you posted with the diamond plate. :smiley_th

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
This is my summer daytime helmet. Have another (same) helmet with a clear sheild for night time. My small Vulcan wind deflecter pretty much keepes the bugs from the lower face.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
what kind of helmet do you guys recommend? i have a half helmet and its all fun and games until a bug smacks you in the face at 70 mph...
I always wear a full face helmet. After seeing a guy in an ER that was missing his face... No way I'd wear anything less.

But thats me.

A windscreen will help with bugs, but not 100%. Those dirt bike goggle and face protectors work well too... Don't buy anything that touches your chest if you tilt your head down BTW.

There's alot of helmets on the market, rather than suggest one I'll just say make sure you buy it from a place where there's someone that can actually help fit it to you. The average rider tends to pick helmets that don't fit properly. Having a salesperson that knows what they are doing is a big plus.

I'd never buy a helmet online....unless I tried the exact model and size on in a store first.

Theres several threads on helmets here, not talking about the political ones, that have might help. Am sure a search will find some of them.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
.....buy it from a place where there's someone that can actually help fit it to you. The average rider tends to pick helmets that don't fit properly. Having a salesperson that knows what they are doing is a big plus.

I'd never buy a helmet online....unless I tried the exact model and size on in a store first.
AGREED! What fits perfect now will be loose after break-in period and x2 is not the same size in all brands and styles of helmets. I have an x2 in one helmet and an x5 in a flip face helmet. YES I HAVE A BIG HEAD. Matches the body though!:rockon:

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I always wear a full face helmet. After seeing a guy in an ER that was missing his face... No way I'd wear anything less.

But thats me.
Ever wonder why older guys wear FF helmets...??? Ha, ha, just kidding...
I also always wear a FF helmet, but always thought that they were extremely hot and uncomfortable till I started wearing them, not really the case...
I don't like or have a windshield, and most 1/2 & 3/4 helmets always had bad wind buffeting or whatever you call it (wind beatin & twistin your head up & down/back & forth), well my FF seems to cut that way back, and is not near as hot in the summer as I had thought one would be, it also cuts back on the sound a bit to just the point I like...
I really like wearing the FF helmet over the others, and Like KM, "no way I'd wear anything less", and as he said "But that's me"...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...my beard catches most of my bugs, since it blows up to my nose and bottom of goggles, lol...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I see a guy riding around here and I think of you every time, Wolfie. He has a nice long beard and it parts down the middle and flies out to each side when he rides. :smiley_th

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
...my beard catches most of my bugs, since it blows up to my nose and bottom of goggles, lol...
A bug hit my helmet today Wolfie and I instantly thought of you! Two bugs now!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I use the HJC Sy max 2. It fits my head shape well and I have pavement tested one and came away unscathed, so my confidence level is high. Also easier to put on with glasses because you can raise the face shield with the modular design.
Fit is probably the most important factor. If the helmet comes off in a crash, well...not much use.
Bronson

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Ever wonder why older guys wear FF helmets...??? Ha, ha, just kidding.....
I dont think it's really a joke, I just think as you get older you get wiser...

When I got my Vulcan, I picked up two Shoei Ram Air "open face" helmets. I then bought two pair of Scott goggles.(the kind meant to fit over glasses)
(which are still for sale if anyone intrested)

I had been a FF rider for years before, as WERRA rules for roadracers only allowed FF helmets, and being young and poor I could just afford one helmet anyway.
I liked this open face set up, but did miss the extra protection and noise reduction of the FF helmet. I realized I did not have to bow to fashion, and although most cruiser riders here don't wear FF helmets I thought it stupid to compromise my feelings and bought a nice FF KBC.

Doing better financially I later picked up an A.Fulmer with a cool dragon
Graphic, and then a hit later got a Shoei R1100, and a matchng one for the wife.

I know many would not spend 300 bucks for a helmet, but I've been so impressed with the Shoei FF I can't see ever wearing anything less...ER room impressions behind, it's just a matter of comfort.

Rain at 70+ mph hurts, and as I ride year round, it's a no brainer to me. The Pinlock visor gives me fog free vision, and keeps me pain free and comfortable no matter the weather.

Any helmet is better than none..and I just think a FF helmet makes the most sence.... For me.;)

I see folks riding with those tiny 1/2 helmets and wearing shorts and no shirt and cringe a bit. But as I said, it'd your choice.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
He has a nice long beard and it parts down the middle and flies out to each side when he rides.
Thats my "good" twin...he doesnt give cops the finger, lol....

A bug hit my helmet today Wolfie and I instantly thought of you! Two bugs now!
Well thats just too cool...see, grow a beard, and ya can even have a lil snack then whilst riding, lol...(that and ya remember the girl from the nite before !)...

I just think as you get older you get wiser...
Thats why I realize that I dont need to follow the masses and can make my own choice...

But as I said, it's your choice.
EXACTLY the point.... :smiley_th:smiley_th:smiley_th (I corrected yer spelling in the quote...hope you dont mind)....

I love the song in the beginning..."I Do as I Please"...starts at about 4:30...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSA93bjtoSE&feature=relmfu

1 - 20 of 26 Posts