Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see your helmets- I'd start but mines not here at school.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Love my Shoei.

Jon

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I don't have a pic however I use a HJC Symax and a HJC half face. As a note my helmets have my name and blood type on both the front and rear. My reasoning is that if it was needed it on my dogtags it wouldn't hurt to have it on my helmets. I put both my name and blood type on so that the EMTs could verify who I was with my ID and know the b-type instantly. Maybe a waste of space on the helmet but it is like insurance to me--something you hope to never need but in place if necessary.

·
Registered
707 Posts
scorpian exo 700

·
Registered
411 Posts
No pic, but it's a titanium-colored (matches the teardrop color on my '03) Shoei RF-1000.

--FA

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
Well, don't have photos of all of them, but here are the top 4:

(left to right, Ghost Blue and Black Dragon AF S-2's, Shoei RF100 and a KBC Tek 7 )

I currently wear the Silver Shoei RF1000 the most, as you can see the silver matches the silver on the bike, and the Blue Spectra visor matches the blue on the bike:

Helmets are getting more user freindly now, and many have some cool electronics such as lights, and Bluetooth com systems built in. My next helmet will likely be one of those.

KM

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow
I was just looking at Shoei's website- cheapest full face is over 300 dollars. My CKX basic black full face was less than $50. Is this unsafe? When i took the PA motorcycle course, they said to get a new helmet every 3 to 5 years because plastic degrades. Is this true? If this is the case, what would you'll recommend?

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
Wow
I was just looking at Shoei's website- cheapest full face is over 300 dollars. My CKX basic black full face was less than $50. Is this unsafe? When i took the PA motorcycle course, they said to get a new helmet every 3 to 5 years because plastic degrades. Is this true? If this is the case, what would you'll recommend?
I think most makers reccomend a new helmet every 5-8 years, depending on use and location. (yes those in CA or other high smog citys need to replace helmets more often due to the nasty air) It is the lining not the shell than seems to "degrade" over time. (due to polution, body oils, sweat and heat)

The price you pay more or less is not a guarenty on how safe a helmet is, but on the overall quality.There are exceptions however.
Any helmet that passes SNELL approval does meet a somewhat higher critieria but almost any DOT approved helmet will do it's intended job. Many riders like the European system over DOT or Snell, but it does need to have a DOT sticker to be "legal" on american roads.

My head is worth the 300 bucks I spent on the Shoei, but the two Arthur Fulmer S2's did have SNELL approval and only cost around $120.00 The KBC was right at 100 bucks. There are helmets that do cost ALOT more also, like
Simpsons and Arai.

I would be a bit leary of a 50 dollar helmet, but there are some good value helmets on the market...I of course would stick to name brand helmets, or ones that got decent reviews in the press (as new makers keep showing up eveyday it is hard to adhere to the "name brand" concept)

The most important thing it to make sure your helmet fits properly. Do not go by what you think ......but by what someone who knows how it should fit. (There is a brief vidieo on this in the equipment section here)

KM

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
...My head is worth the 300 bucks I spent on the Shoei, but the two Arthur Fulmer S2's did have SNELL approval and only cost around $120.00 The KBC was right at 100 bucks. There are helmets that do cost ALOT more also, like
Simpsons and Arai.
Same is true for my HJC. I got my Snell approved CL15 for about just over $100.

R

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have a solid black KBC. Which I think stands for Korean Built Crap

·
Registered
707 Posts
the scorpian that i have cost about 200... you can get the exo 400 which is basicly the same just a little bit heaver because of different materials for just over 100.... mainly what you pay will give you a better quality or better gadgets.... different air vents and stuff like that.... if its either dot or snell approved it should keep your head in one piece.... it also does wonders for comfort... ive tried some of the arai helmets and theyh are awesome... i just cant pay 5-600 for a helmet right now..

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I`m glad everyone started telling the make, model and price paid. It`s also helpful to disclose any pro`s and con`s that you feel about it. It has started out as quite an interesting thread.

I don`t have a picture, but have a HJC, model CS-2M. It is a half (or 5/8?) shell, flat black in color with 2 front vents and zip out ear flaps which have pouches for speakers. It comes with a dark green beak which snaps on to use as a sun shade. I paid ~$60 Canadian for it in April of `08. I also bought a face shield for it also for ~$13 Can. When I bought it at the Honda dealership, the salesman and I both agreed that the size Large was too small, and it sort of perched on top of my head. The XL fit much better in the store, and was more comfortable. However on the first ride, the air coming up felt like it was trying to lift the helmet right off my head. I now wear a leather skull cap under it and it feels just right.

I miss the beak/sunshade when using the faceshield, even when wearing polarized sunglasses. I get a headache very quickly with the sun glaring in my eyes. Does anyone know of a shield with a sunshade beak incorporated, or with a second set of snaps to attach one?

I`ve only had one ride in the rain and would have preferred a full face helmet for those 60 or so miles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Canada- you bring up a good point- I am always getting a headache with the sun. What can one do about this. My sunglasses are always bending and breaking as I try to get them on with my helmet on.
Also i was reading about the Bell Star helmet- thanks skalding- and they bring up a good point too. I am always getting my head whipped around when doing head checks. Their helmet claims to reduce this effect. If these helmets had some sort of visor, it may be a good investment.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Pass checks in the Star are pretty easy - little or no buffetting.

Dark smoke shields should be enough to stop sunlight. I have one on the Gmax, and I will wear it on the brightest days.

I didn't get a dark shield for the Star though. I did this Mod on a lark, because I was just curious to see if it worked. http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/shade/

It turned out to work very well for me, even in the Miami glare on the cement highways. So much so that I didn't really see the need to get a tinted visor for the Star.

I just went to Autozone, dropped 10 bucks on some static tint, then cut various patterns until I got one that fit well on my helmet. I ended up with a kind of downward curving visor strip that blocks out more of the sky the closer it gets to the corner of my eyes. But you can experiment on your own. The amount of static-cling tint you get could produce strips for 20 helmets.

Note - this mod just creates a sun visor/strip. You *cannot* put this on your entire visor since the optical quality is poor. However, the tint-strip in combination with sunglasses will make even a ride into the setting sun relatively comfortable. Once the sun is off the horizon, I just go with the strip - no sunglasses.

As far as your glasses go, get some with straight ear-pieces or just cut off your existing ear pieces. You only really need two nubs for the arms of the glasses, since they're going to be held on your head by the helmet liner. I just use a cheap old pair. I also took off the nose rest. They just kind of hang there inside my visor. Bit odd, but it works and there's no chaffing.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
My HJC shield came with double snaps and the visor went on over it. I bought the HJC shield off of the factory web site

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I walked into local Cycle Gear store on labor day, and they were running a 20% off sale on all items, including close outs. The Shoei RF-1000 I got retailed for $ 475, was on clearance for $ 250, and I got 20% off that, so paid $ 200 for a $ 475 helmet.

Can't say enough good about this helmet.

I was shocked how much more protected I feel when I went from my open face to the RF-1000.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Got my red M2R full face MR600 helmet on ebay for $48 + shipping. DOT and Snell M2000 approved. No windshield on Vulcan yet, so get considerable wind buffeting on lane checks at speed.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts