Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new helmet. I wear eye glasses. Does anyone know if a perticular helmet will work better with glasses? I always end up bending my glasses putting on and taking off my helmet. Is it any easier with a modular? Is there a perticular brand that works any better? I am just hoping some one may be able to shed some light on this.

Ride Safe
Mcneuby

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I'm looking for a new helmet. I wear eye glasses. Does anyone know if a perticular helmet will work better with glasses? I always end up bending my glasses putting on and taking off my helmet. Is it any easier with a modular? Is there a perticular brand that works any better? I am just hoping some one may be able to shed some light on this.

Ride Safe
Mcneuby
I too wear glass's, I've torn up frame-less a few times, I presently (again) have (and get by with) wire-rim type, which are still in style. I wear a Full Face Helmet, put Helmet on, flip up the Visor to put glass's on / I remove glass's prior to Helmet removal.

I will be purshasing a New Helmet soon, so am interested in what your thread turns up.
tia

WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Any full face helmet that fits properly is going to get in the way of glasses. I ended up getting the "Flexon" type wire rim glasses. They bend to fit and don't stay "bent" when outside the helmet.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
Many makers have relief cuts in the interior padding to make putting glasses on/off easier and to avoid them from wobbling around as you ride.

My Shoei RF does this, and from what I was told all of Shoei's helmets do.

I have never heard or seen a full face helmet that you can take on or off with your glasses on...You have to follow Willians proceedure there.

"Some" flip type helmets can however do it, but seems it does matter on the glasses themselves.

My suggestion of course is to try on a few different helmets and see which works for you....as you should be doing this anyway glasses or not to make sure the helmet fits your head properly...;)

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I too wear glass's, I've torn up frame-less a few times, I presently (again) have (and get by with) wire-rim type, which are still in style. I wear a Full Face Helmet, put Helmet on, flip up the Visor to put glass's on / I remove glass's prior to Helmet removal.

I will be purshasing a New Helmet soon, so am interested in what your thread turns up.
tia

I wear glasses and use a full face and follow the same procedure as you described here. I have recently switched to the "Flexon" half wire frames and haven't had any of the previous bending of the frames so far.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
When i first got my bike i still wore my glasses. I started out with a modular helmet and had no problem putting on and taking off my helmet with my glasses on. Since i have started wearing contacts and pretty much wear any helmet i can get on my head.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Cycle Gear has the new Shoei Neotec Modular in metallic finishes for just $596.69. How's that compare to the Bell?
Even though cant speak from experience, Shoei has always had a good rep, and has all approvals...I just always liked the Bells because you can always send em back to the factory to be refurbished (I got mine in 75, and I can send it back to get like new)...I kinda doubt ANY company besides them does that....most brain buckets are considered "disposable" after "x" amount of years...
Matter of fact, used Bells are in big demand, and can command a big buck just for that reason.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Hey McNeuby:
I wear glasses and have used the HJC modular helmets for years. Just flip up the chin guard and spread the ears a little and it will set right down over your glasses without moving them. I use the Symax and the Symax II. It fits the shape of my head well. The older sy max tends to fog less in the cold , but the Symax II has an integral sun visor built in that is nice in bright sun.
I have wrecked with one of those helmets on, so I know they are good protection from impact and abrasion.
That's my 2 cents.
Bronson

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
I use a Fulmer modular and have no problem with my glasses. I love it!

·
4,508 Posts
I use a Fulmer modular and have no problem with my glasses. I love it!
bstew...
I am in the market for a new FF helmet,
these are looking nice !

The modular chin section latch, how secure is that latch ? As in if I was sliding down the asphalt, grinding my facial/nose area across the nation, how well would that latch hold up (in your opinion) ?

tia

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
bstew...
I am in the market for a new FF helmet, these are looking nice !

The modular chin section latch, how secure is that latch ? As in if I was sliding down the asphalt, grinding my facial/nose area across the nation, how well would that latch hold up (in your opinion) ?

tia
i bought an IV2 modular helmet that had plastic hooks to secure the chin but i didnt trust it so i sent it back and got a newer model with metal hooks it seems really secure

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
bstew...
I am in the market for a new FF helmet, these are looking nice !

tia

Well....there's the issue with modular helmets. Only a few have passed SNELL testing. The reason there is they test for multiple impacts. Many of the modular helmets initially tested "popped open" on impact ....making them fail.

I think it's more of the fact now makers don't want to submit their flip helmets to SNELL as they fear it may fail, and they don't want the negative review.

I have always looked at it as a flip style helmet is not as good as a full face.... But is better than a 3/4 helmet. Riders should then factor in the handyness of the feature to what they feel they want protection wise.

To me, it's not that big of a pain to do Williams process with a full face helmet compared to wearing a flip helmet that may make it easier, but might not be safe under all conditions as a FF helmet is. It's just something each rider has to pick which he feels comfortable with.

Modular helmets are very popular in Europe....where riders find it handy when crossing borders of different countries and presenting their photo ID's to be able to show their face without taking their helmet off.

Here in the US the only plus I see is for those that wear glasses.....so again it's up to the rider if they feel making a possible change in protection is worth the convenience.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Now see, if ya wear a 1/2 shell, there aint no problems....lol...ya, I know....but dont even bother....but Im right. As usual. :D

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I Know for myself and another friend who have "slid down the pavement", in the HJC modular helmets, the latch did not fail, and head and face stayed protected in actual accidents. Just as a side note, the armored leather jackets and gloves and boots also performedtheir functions beyond my expectations.
Bronson

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
And yes please note that there are countless cases were modular helmets did NOT pop open in a crash....but as with anything, there's always the chance they could. I would guess most of the newer ones have been designed to make that chance even smaller. And I did read somewhere that there are a few that passed SNELL testing.

·
4,508 Posts
And yes please note that there are countless cases were modular helmets did NOT pop open in a crash....but as with anything, there's always the chance they could. I would guess most of the newer ones have been designed to make that chance even smaller. And I did read somewhere that there are a few that passed SNELL testing.
interesting.... I am considering Modular for sure.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Any full face helmet that fits properly is going to get in the way of glasses. I ended up getting the "Flexon" type wire rim glasses. They bend to fit and don't stay "bent" when outside the helmet.
I had those with my reading glasses for many years, then lost glasses case and all...
I only use the cheap china-mart reading glasses now, but if I do have to go to perscription glasses again, I will for sure get the "Flexon" type frames, those things were great, a bit pricy but well worth it IMO...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts