Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you wear a helmet most of the time?

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to all the time. I've got a lot of reflective stuff on the bike, used to wear a 3/4 (couldn't stand the visibility loss of a full face), and a leather jacket. Preached to others that they should wear a helmet.

BUT NOW,
no helmet, no jacket, and shorts. Seeing how no one will hire me (age? black-listed? who knows...), and I only make 8 bucks an hour, medical expenses would wipe my family out, so I sure better die!

·
Registered
46 Posts
yup

I guess I'm just way too good lookin' to mess up this head!

Absolutely, not one of my friends wears one, and we've all lost friends or relatives on bikes. It may, or may not save my life, but it can't hurt. I don't believe in the "visibility loss" that some people quote, 1/2 or 3/4 helmets pretty much negate that arguement.

Just my two cents.
bk

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts

To wear

:motorcycl
Or not to wear

That is the question.​

Most of the time, yes.
All of the time, no.

Just within the last few years, PA dropped the helmet law.
Before then, no choice:( , always wore it.
But now there are times I would rather not, so I choose not to.

Sure, some people will say I'm stupid for that choice, but the way I see it, there are just as many things in a cage that can be the cause of serious head injuries, i.e. Lots of glass, steel posts/pilliars, steeringwheel, anything not securely fastened down (kids, dogs, that huge box of laundry detergent....) Would they (cagers) like to have to wear a helmet all the time ? Probably not. They'd say it limits visibility, hearing, range of movement. But on a bike that seems to matter little to those who don't ride.

I do not feel as though I am superman. Sure, something could happen, I could go down, I could get hurt, or worse, killed. But I live in PA, they finally give me the choice not to wear one.

On the otherhand, with my hemet on, I could go down, get hurt, and some moron comes over, pulls the helmet from my head, only to make a possible injury worse.

One thing they don't teach at streetbike riding schools, which I've learned (extensively) on dirtbike, is HOW/WHEN to go down. There are ways to avoid more serious injuries when you (as weird as it sounds) wreck properly.

It's kinda funny how when there's mention of a fatal MC accident on the news, they are sure to mention when someone wasn't wearing a helmet, but rarely will they say that someone was wearing one and it ended just as tragically.

Like the Isley Brothers song says (for some of us atleast)
"It's your thing, do what ya wanna do."

·
Registered
553 Posts
I wear one 90% of the time as I have about a 5 mile run out where I work that is farmland and woods(loaded with deer) sometimes for short errends I don't wear one. Luckily Ia does not have a helmet law, Usualy wear a full face for hwy trips and a 3/4 for intown riding.To each his own, we are all grown ups and should be able to make our own choices. Just my .02 worth.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I wear a helmet 100% of the time. I have my half helmet for most days and my full-face Nolan for road trips and bad or cold weather.

I'm one of those guys who honestly belive that a helmet will save your life but don't want a helmet law because I don't want some nameless faceless politician who looks down on motorcyclists making my decisions. The only person who I believe has the right to tell me to wear a helmet is my wife. She says wear it and i do...

I believe in this so strongly that I am the Legislative Director for my ABATE Chapter http://www.abate-il-nws.com. I have been down to the State capitol in many occasions and have helped beat two different attempts to bring a helmet law to Illinois. In addition to helping keep Illinois as a helmet optional state, we are also fighting to protect our motorcycle education funding, awareness on the roads and we teach motorcycle awareness classes to the local high schools.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Almost always, can't afford the ticket.

·
Geek
872 Posts
I had an accident back in 1978. Big chunks came out of my helmet when my head was bouncing down the road. I'll never ride without one.

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
Always. Saved my brother years ago, and 1 of my closest friends just a few weeks ago. I was riding right behind him when he went down. I carried him the rest of the way on my bike, instead of to the morgue. Either way, it's like seat belts. Seat belt laws in states without helmet laws. Our tax dollars at work. I still believe it should be your choice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I do not start the engine with the intention to move the bike without a helemt.

I used to wear a bicycle helmet though when going off campus only, then I started wearing it 100% of the time. Then I built a 5 foot tall bike, later increasting the hight to 7.5 feet which put my head around 10 feet off the ground and rode that for about 6 months. Since then, I don't wear my bicycle helment any more when on a regular bicycle. I guess its just a matter of how my risk acceptance has been altered. So I don't really care if people wear a motorcycle helmet, as we all have our acceptable risk levels, though I wonder if insurance prices would go down if it was mandatory in all states.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
99.9% of the time. I may go lidless if I am just going around the block in my neighborhood. Outside of that it's full face w/jacket.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Gone through 3 helmets in bicycle racing, I know for a fact I would be here if I wasn't wearing them... so I ride 100% of the time with a helmet even if here in Mexico is not mandatory to wear it

Mushu

·
Registered
14 Posts
Manditory in Oregon, so yes even if just running up and down the block to check something out. I'd be wearing one anyway...I was a nurse in my army days, and I've seen the nasty results of not wearing a helmet too many times.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Texas heat=sweat buckets. Yes, I wear full face 100% of the time.
Saturday, riding with my two best riding buddies, I bringing up the rear when our girl rider and leader at the time, came to a fork in the road, got confused for just a second, nearly went right, slowed way down and decided at the last second that she needed to go left. There was gravel piled up right in the intersection and she lost it and went down. I was slowing down as I saw the hesitation and brake lights ahead of me, and got to see her go down and then slide face first for about 10 feet. My buddy and I got parked off the road and hurried to help her but she was already up and dusting herself off. Bike was scraped up on the left side, blinker broken off but not bad considering. Ruthie was ok, a little banged up and shaken mostly, but get this. We had run through a heavy shower about 20 minutes earlier and pulled off at a park for her to change into her leathers as she was cold. She also wears a full face helmet. Her leathers were scarred up from her knees to her chest, her leather gloves scraped up good, and her helmet was all scratched up on the chin. I talked to her earlier and today her left knee is pretty sore and swollen, and her hands are bruised up and the tops of her feet, but she's all in one piece and not even a cut or scrape.

She was previously wearing jeans and a mesh jacket with armor, but no chest protector. The leather saved her skin for sure. I'm thankful she got cold a few miles back!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.