Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were these a bitch for any of you to remove? I just absolutely stripped both of them and now have to figure out how to get them out.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
You are right, they were a killer!

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Yep. My bike was less than 2 years old from the factory and I still had to drill them out. Guess they use an air wrench to put them in....on top of the thread lock they coat them with. The screws are real soft metal too....which just makes it all worse.

I got one screw out with an impact driver...the rest got buggered up and I turned to the twist drill........

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should I just drill right through them? I'm trying to install a set of luggage support bars and I've never used the helmet locks anyway.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I got one screw out with an impact driver...the rest got buggered up and I turned to the twist drill........
I am surprised the impact driver failed to be successful for all the screws. I had been under the impression that impact drivers were magical in those situations. I bought one about a year ago just for my bike when I could not remove a screw and it worked wonders on all four I had to remove. I had lots of confidence in that tool ever since but haven't had a need to use it yet again. Now I am wondering what I will do if the situation pops up and the driver fails me. I really hate the idea of the old twist drill method.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I guess I should have reported the order much better. On the one screw that I had not totally dished out the head on....the impact driver worked wonders. I simply destroyed the heads on the other screws so badly the impact driver would have been useless. I just reached for it too late..... :(

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
They have the blue locktite on the threads...and they were a PITA.

I soaked them, heated them and used an impact tool to break them loose....but they fought me the whole way out.

I think having the locks in the back of the relocation bracket make them much more accessible, so IMO I would try to utilize them. Even if you destroy the screws and have to replace them.

good luck!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Should I just drill right through them? I'm trying to install a set of luggage support bars and I've never used the helmet locks anyway.
Mine stripped as well. And it didn't take much to do it.

I actually bought one of those sets with the back-out bits (three different sizes). I got them out fairly easily using that.

Good luck

Edit: This is the set I purchased (can't remember where)

http://www.aldn.com/Pages/grabitPro.php

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Someone really uses em ?...I sent the key for mine away whith my toolbox to Iowa, so now i just got a nice spot to anchor a bungee on to, lol...pretty easy to cut the whole thing off too with a 4" grinder....

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I guess I should have reported the order much better. On the one screw that I had not totally dished out the head on....the impact driver worked wonders. I simply destroyed the heads on the other screws so badly the impact driver would have been useless. I just reached for it too late..... :(
OK. You restored some of my faith in the impact tool but it is only at the "I think this should work" point on my confidence list for now. Originally I had a problem getting four screws out and someone mentioned that I should get the tool. I did and they came out with no problem. I had tried the soaking and screw drivers with monkey wrenches on the shafts to get some more torque but to no avail. I guess I stopped before I destroyed too much of the heads luckily. I will keep the set in my tool box for now rather then under the cabinet in the back. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Never used a helmet lock in my life. I always just took my helmet with me.

(Now, yes I can put my helmet in one of the hardcases if one is empty.)

They always seemed like a last minute design, stuck in odd places on your bike....your helmet upside down or rubbing against something hard. Works great if you have D rings.... Useless with Ez clips or other buckle systems.

And depressing when you return to your bike to find the helmet gone anyway.......

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Always just left mine on my sissy, unlocked, forks unlocked...never an issue...then again, I dont go near cities much...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have lately taken to just putting mine on the backrest. The other thing I never liked about the helmet locks is the helmet hanging upside down outside...what if it rains? Nothing like dumping water out of your helmet.

As for the screws, I guess I got lucky. Mine came out much easier than the screws for the rear turn signals. Those are the ones I stripped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts