Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an idea that I got from a guy selling his Vulcan on ebay. He said that he'd relocated the helmet locks, but I couldn't see them in the pictures so I sent him an email and he was nice enough to answer even though I wasn't bidding on his bike. Here's what it looks like.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Good Idea,I like it!!!!Hey how did you make out with the seat modification???

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't attempted the seat mod yet, I'm thinking of picking up a used stock seat to "play" with in case I mess it up.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I haven't attempted the seat mod yet, I'm thinking of picking up a used stock seat to "play" with in case I mess it up.
Tony

I've still got my OEM seat if you're interested.

Joe

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem I see is that the helmet and lock can be taken with just a philips screwdriver.
If they're going to that much trouble to get my helmet then they need it more than me anyway. Before I relocated them, I just put my helmet on the sissy bar. If I'm at home, it's in the garage and if I'm out and about the fact that it's locked makes me feel better about it.

It's not perfect, but it's better than being hidden behind my saddle bags where I couldn't use them at all.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tony

I've still got my OEM seat if you're interested.

Joe
Thanks Joe,

The finance manager has stopped all cash flow to the bike right now, other than gas and oil, and maybe a front tire in a couple of months. I think she's got some ideas for Christmas and doesn't want me messing with it until then.

I may see if it's still available if I don't have a Mustang under the tree come late December.

·
239 Posts
Make sure you put a big washer on the back side of the helmet locks.
Its only plastic your mounting it to there, enough movment from the helmet
while locked on there could work that screw through the plastic in time.
It is a good looking location.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hmm, nice!! Someone posted pics awhile ago that had their locks mounted on the toolbox. I removed the toolbox, so that wasn't an option. This very well could be though !!
Thanks for sharin' this :smiley_th

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I have one of my locks "inside" the toolbox. The lid fell off a while back and I haven't gotten around to putting it back on - so I used the screw that's supposed to hold the toolbox in to secure the helmet lock. That way it's attatched to metal and that's my favourite place to put my helmet anyways.

When I finally get around to building an extended backrest (some ideas stolen from KM) I'll have both helmet locks secured to the sissy bar. I plan on having an aluminum backplate on the backrest and the locks will be secured to it (it'll be held on with multiple hex head screws screwed into 3/4 plywood. As I look at it the point of any locks - especially helmet locks - is to slow down would be theives. Most aren't going to take even 2 minutes to take a helmet - where they may just walk past the bike and grab it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you lock the helmet on the right side is it far enough away from the pipe?

I kind of like the "toolbox" location. I wonder if it could be on the chrome side of the sissybar?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy that was selling his Vulcan on ebay only had one lock installed and it was on the right side. I thought it'd be better if I mounted both to keep things symmetrical and all.

To answer your question Joe, my full face helmet when mounted on the right side doesn't hit the head pipe. I don't know how different kinds of helmets would do, but I would check it out before drilling any holes.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
OK Now I'm really sounding stupid but I've never used helmet locks before. I'm only 1200miles & 3 weeks into motorcycles. What on you helmet do you put through the lock? The chin strap?:doh:

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Use the "D" ring

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think that a better location for the locks is on the TOP of the small stock sissy bar, near the sides. You can drill and tap the metal there where it is good and thick. This way, with the helmet locked in, it is partially resting on your saddle bags rather than flopping against something -and- it's safe to carry there while riding (or for carrying a spare).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Tony

1200 mi/3 weeks

He passed ya...better get on the horse!! :D
I guess I'm gonna have to move further from work. I thought 1000 miles in 2 months wasn't bad considering my commute is only ~8 miles each way (if I take the direct route). Maybe some rain gear so I don't waste any opportunities because of inclimate weather...???

I'll have to see what I can do.:doh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts