Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Xerik
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL, sorry title was spur of the moment.

Any one else have this problem with full face helmets? Where at higher speeds say 70+ the helmet feels as if its trying to lift your head off the body?
Is there anyway to help stop it?

Maybe a chin wind gaurd at the bottom?

Also bought me a new helmet!!!
A Bell Arrow Strafer helmet... Might need to get bike repainted to match helmet :p

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If you experience helmet lift at speeds that low you need a different helmet.I have Vega Altura which I really don't like that well but it doesn't act squirrelly untill around 125 to 130 MPH ,Yours is doing it at normal highway speeds ,thats a distraction you don't need and is actually dangerous.

Is it the Bell that's doing this? Does it fit you well?y It is very important that it does,Try an Icon ,or one of the better brand Helmets out there ,if money is an issue buy the best you can afford.ZR1 makes some very affordable helmets that I have heard good things about.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I think you need a properly sized helmet. Yours must be too big.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I think you need a properly sized helmet. Yours must be too big.
X2^ and I have found some are just poorly designed ,also any different windscreens affect helmet performance differently.If you have no windscreen ,it is definitely a helmet issue.

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I take helmets seriously. Either your helmet is too big or not fastened properly, or, like I once did, you have a windshield from hell. My helmet fit perfectly, but above 70 mph the wind would cause it to lift up and choke me. Finally it open the shield, and blew it right off. Near new $40 shield. Went straight home, ripped that windshield off, put on my other FF helmet, and went back to riding. What a difference. And what a shame. $300+ windshield, and it looked great. But I take exception to motorcycle accessories trying to kill me. Sold the shield for $50. Still have the bike specific mounting hardware, maybe I'll make some highway pegs or something out of it some day.

·
Xerik
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually it's the right size as far as fitting goes I can shake my head and the helmet moves with my head and when I stop the helmet stops. There is no slipping slopping or slapping on my head on any part. I've done the front roll test and the helmet stays on my head.

*Grab back of helmet with strap on securely and roll it forward.*

Actually this is a Icon helmet a Alliance SS type 1. I have had the helmet for 4 years now. I had a ninja 250 before this bike and it was fine then. Even when I ride my fathers KLR 650 i don't have the problem with the helmet just on my Vulcan 750.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Actually it's the right size as far as fitting goes I can shake my head and the helmet moves with my head and when I stop the helmet stops. There is no slipping slopping or slapping on my head on any part. I've done the front roll test and the helmet stays on my head.

*Grab back of helmet with strap on securely and roll it forward.*

Actually this is a Icon helmet a Alliance SS type 1. I have had the helmet for 4 years now. I had a ninja 250 before this bike and it was fine then. Even when I ride my fathers KLR 650 i don't have the problem with the helmet just on my Vulcan 750.
You have a good helmet and sounds like it fits you ,do you have a windscreen on your bike?If so then it needs some adjusting,if not you may need one.

I actually had to cut about 2' off my windshield on my 1500,it was terrible when it was taller also,you are also riding in a completely different posture than you were on the Ninja and that may affect the way it feels too.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
You shouldn't be having a problem with a properly fitting helmet and no windshield. If you are, something is wrong somewhere. The other bikes you mentioned have lower bars, causing you to lean forward more. Might be the upright riding position of the Vulcan. But I still have had no problems like that with about 6 helmets I have used over the years while riding the Vulcan. I have owned a Vulcan 750 since 1993.

Be very careful with getting a windshield. About half the time a windshield can actually make things worse, by concentrating and directing air directly at your head, like mine did. I now have a much lower windshield (Memphis Shades Shooter) which looks good, but doesn't really do much of anything except give me a place to put my stickers. To really be effective, a windshield would have to be higher than you can see over, and the way mine collects bugs, I wouldn't want one of those. And they are definitely not safe in the rain

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
You shouldn't be having a problem with a properly fitting helmet and no windshield. If you are, something is wrong somewhere. The other bikes you mentioned have lower bars, causing you to lean forward more. Might be the upright riding position of the Vulcan. But I still have had no problems like that with about 6 helmets I have used over the years while riding the Vulcan. I have owned a Vulcan 750 since 1993.

Be very careful with getting a windshield. About half the time a windshield can actually make things worse, by concentrating and directing air directly at your head, like mine did. I now have a much lower windshield (Memphis Shades Shooter) which looks good, but doesn't really do much of anything except give me a place to put my stickers. To really be effective, a windshield would have to be higher than you can see over, and the way mine collects bugs, I wouldn't want one of those. And they are definitely not safe in the rain
I totally disagree with your assessment of proper windshield height,to the op ,do some research on proper windshield height and you will find most people find that the top of the windshield needs to be midway of between the tip of your nose and your eyes . Your line of sight should be just over top of the top edge . You may need to adjust the angle of the windshield film you find the sweet spot with minimal buffeting,it is not rocket science or a lost black art . It takes a little trial and error ,but it is easy to do.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Angle is VERY important. And it was most likely the problem with my expensive Memphis Shades Slims windshield. The shield was a universal Harley tombstone style, and could be fitted to many different bikes with the bike specific mounting kit. It bolted right up just fine, and the height was right where denny6006 said, but it had virtually no angle at all to it, and was not designed to be adjusted. It was just a few degrees from vertical. Most windshields of this type have pretty much the same rake as the front forks, which seems to work best, along with being the right height.

Over the past few decades, I have not had much luck with windshields. I mainly use them for looks on cruisers, because I always have saddlebags on a cruiser, and the windshield adds something up front. Gives it that "touring cruiser" look. The only windshields I have ever had that I was happy with was the stock windshields on my 1980 and 1985 Goldwings (those work GREAT), a National Cycle Flyscreen (on a Vulcan 750) , and now the Memphis Shades Shooter on my Vulcan 750. I've had maybe 5-6 other windshields, and was not happy with any of them. Oh, I do have a Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield on my Honda Rebel 250, just to give it that dressed look to go with the saddlebags. It's ok, doesn't really do much of anything, but it does give me a place to put my Pashnit, ADV, and PGR stickers.

And I also had a Kawasaki V-Force windshield on my first Vulcan 750. Couldn't really tell any difference between riding with it or without it. Again, it was for looks.

The problem with buying a windshield is that you can't try it before you buy it. What works for one person may not work at all for someone else, even on the same bike. Just because it will bolt onto the bike does not mean it will work, or even make things worse.

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
As the OP here said he doesnt have a windshield, thank you both for going way off topic....lol

That said, I'll just say windscreen height is a preference, but any shield should be not so high the rider can't look over it....if needed. I Always looked through my Vulcans PS2, but if I sat up real straight I could see over it.

Now I know that some helmets work better with diffrent bikes. My Fulmer full face was a perfect silent shell on the Vulcan, but a bouncy and noisy helmet on my FJR.

Many full face helmets are aerodynamicly designed to be worn on sport bikes. Many so much so that they need to be slightly tipped forward, like one is on a low bar lean forward bike.

So rider position, rider size, and what bike they are on can all make a big difference on how a helmet performs. Tall long armed riders tend to lean back more on the Vulcan compared to small/short riders.

With NO windscreen you get ALOT of air on your chest. Leaning back would make all this air run up your chest and into the bottom of your helmet.

I would ask the OP to tell me if the helmet lift stops if he leans forward and tips the top of his helmet forward too. If so, another helmet might be better, or adding at least a short windscreen could help alot.

Aerodynamics is and can be a strange thing to deal with. I noticed an improvement in reducing helmet buffeting ( where your head seems to be shaken side to side ) just by moving my windscreen DOWN 1 inch. It was even better when I tilted to screen forward less than one inch....both the opposite of what one would think. (damn, now I'm talking about windscreens too...:doh:)

The shape of your helmet can matter alot. Luckily some dealers will let you test ride a helmet before you buy it. If not, its really just a trial method until you find one that works....for you...as one specific model might work better for one rider but not another.....(the same goes for windshields ;) )

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
(damn, now I'm talking about windscreens too...)
well .if it is any consolation he said that would probably be a purchase in the near future ,windscreen that is.I already told him about the different riding positions,being a factor there are many variables to consider and whether or not he had a windscreen is one and is why I asked about it,since you weren't paying attention.I was waiting for you to join the fray. ;)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I rode for years without a windshield and EVERY helmet I used had some sort of issue with wind....if it didn't move on my head, then my head was wobbling around fighting the wind.

The issue is this...if your helmet moves around on you, then it is too loose. If you are distracted or annoyed with having the wind mess with your helmet or your head....then get a windshield.

I resisted a windshield because I thought it was for old farts...but now I guess I am one because I will never go back to not having one.
I enjoy my open face helmets and shades on the interstate without getting pelted and my eyes tearing from the wind. Less of a distraction for me especially on those crisp mornings when I couldn't hear a thing through my full face helmet.

just my 2 cents.....:blah:

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
I would guess I'm a committed Old Fart also, because I don't think I'll ever own a bike that didn't have a windshield too. Having a bit of lower fairing ain't bad either....

I can take riding a "naked" bike around town, but putting in a 200-300 mile day nothing beats having that extra protection. You just get there less physically drained.

My Shoei RF 1000 has a little "spoiler" on the back of the helmet that is supposed to prevent "lift". Guessing it works. The FJR has a windscreen that you can raise an lower while riding, so on hot days I can put it down some and let the on rush of air hit the vents... Which does help keep your head cool wearing a full face.

But I do love all bikes, naked or not. But there's no reason to be uncomfortable while riding.........

KM

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I am also "one of those" but I have spent the vast majority of my riding life without a windshield. I never had any problems. I actually enjoyed the wind, it was and is part of what makes riding a bike fun. The whole point of a bike to me is to not be insulated from things, but to be a part of them. Even a convertible cannot give you that.

My Vulcan has a windshield, but it is so low that it does not prevent wind from hitting you in the face. But there is no buffeting either. I wear a full face helmet for protection from the wind, and whatever might be in it.

The Goldwing is far too smooth for me, but it was free, well, at least to start with, and my daughter likes to ride on it. Many cars get better mileage. I would like to have the windshield on that cut down to about 6" high, Harley style. But I would have to find someone to do it. I'm not going to try cutting on my brand new windshield. (the original one had turned to dust from the AZ sun, and was slowly disintegrating)

But anyway, I have ridden all over the U.S. and parts of Mexico with no windshield, and never even thought about getting one. Recently I've gotten into the "windshield and saddlebags" look.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts