Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone, I've read ALOT of helmet reviews... but take them with a grain of salt.

For the last 3 years I've ridden with an HJC-Symax Helmet (Flip-Up Full Face/Modular). It's been a good Helmet.. and with a new liner and cheek pads I dropped into it about a year ago it may last me another riding season but I think after that it's gonna be time for a replacement.

While I like the Symax alot, I was curious if anyone else wore a modular or full face of a different brand, and what their experiences were?

My requirements are good venting, removable/replaceable liner and it's gotta come in White or Silver (the Symax is decent on venting, and a $300.00 lid if you don't shop where I did (got it for $187), but I expect the price is gonna be higher if I go with the same helmet.

Mine's Pearl White so I look like a spaceman when I put the reflective shield on (still can't find a NASA worm logo sticker to go on it)

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts

·
Geek
872 Posts
Search Goddess to the rescue !

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've only had the HJC CL12 Full Face. Two of them. Only got the second one 'cause a buddy got the wrong size and offered it to me for a good price ($125 w/ white & black graphics).
If I was to spend over $200 on a new helmet I don't know what kind I'd get, but not another CL12. They're not too bad, but like ya said Mr. Bun, a removable liner would be nice. It just has removable cheek pads.
What I do like about the HJC, I'm pretty sure they all have built in pockets for ear speakers, seeing as they (HJC) are the maker of Chatterbox Communicators, which I have.

·
Registered
699 Posts
hmmmm I'm wondering if Dianna can find me about a 1/2 a mil on line somewhere lol....

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I have the HJC CL-15. I like it but it is a bit on the noisy side. Wind noise is enhanced as it flows between the helmet and my shoulders. If I hunch them up, the noise goes away. I wear earplugs because of that but the helmet is comfortable and is Snell 2005 rated and the price was right, $145 new.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I have 3 helmets-1 HJC open face (in town only), HJC modular, and a Bell full face. Of the 3 the modular is my helmet of choice. I always had bell for years and find the modular much nicer. Quick stops means just flippin it up when I pay. As I wear two hearing aids the noise doesn't bother me. I have to set them for half volume when I ride.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I have the HJC CL-15. I like it but it is a bit on the noisy side. Wind noise is enhanced as it flows between the helmet and my shoulders. If I hunch them up, the noise goes away. I wear earplugs because of that but the helmet is comfortable and is Snell 2005 rated and the price was right, $145 new.
ditto for all the same reasons.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
If you're interested in doing quite a bit of reading HERE is a long article from 'Motorcyclist Magazine' which is quite indepth at explaining helmet safety standards and what they describe as "Searching for the truth behind motorcycle helmet design, helmet standards and actual head protection"
Like I said, it is a long article, but very informative.

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
I have been very happy with my Shoei RF-1000.
pic here:
http://tinyurl.com/y7ctjw

This is not a modular helmet, as nice and handy these might me, I do no think they approach the level of safety a full face helmet does.
I liked this helmet so much I bought one for my wife, (so yeah..oooooo..we have matching helmets...)

Anyway, helmets are sized so diffrently from one maker to another, I would have to say that you should try on various models until you find one that fits YOU perfectly and not pay attention to what others here have for themselves. Most of the "Big Names" make good helmets, (Shoei , AGV, Fulmer, KBC, HJC, Nolan,Arai, etc..) And with appologies to one of the above, Bell helmets are not as great as they used to be. A good fit is the most important aspect, so I would start there then research the ones you picked out.

KM

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
IMO any FF will do as long as it fits your head and wallet. sertainly beats wearing nothing (i own HJC cl-15 and find it ok)

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
I agree with Knifemaker on the previous page--I ride with a Shoei RF-1000 and like it very much.

I'll also agree with Knifemaker's advice--visit some helmet shops and try on different brands and find what really fits you and feels good. I would encourage you to leave each helmet on long enough to find where it's liner will be too tight, creating pressure points (I worked with 30-45 minutes for each helmet I tried). Of course, get a snug fit, too...as the helmet's liner will compress with time.

I'd stay away from the modular helmets for now--if you find a modular that's Snell-rated, let us know!!!

With that said, check out HJC's CL-SP helmet (a lot of bang for the buck, but nice!), at: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/cl-sp/

One more thing: get a helmet with a solid, loud color (e.g., bright yellow, bright orange, or white). A loud lid is an excellent passive safety strategy and will keep you noticed in traffic--a real butt saver!!!....:)

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
So everyone's aware of what the 'Snell' test involves, here's a quick run-down on part of it....

the hardest Snell test for a motorcycle helmet to meet—is a two-strike test onto a hemispherical chunk of stainless steel about the size of an orange. The first hit is at an energy of 150 joules, which translates to dropping a 5-kilo (11lbs.) weight about 10 feet—an extremely high-energy impact. The next hit, on the same spot, is set at 110 joules, or about an 8-foot drop. To pass, the helmet is not allowed to transmit more than 300 Gs to the headform in either hit.

Tough tests such as this have driven helmet development over the years. But do they have any practical application on the street, where a hit as hard as the hardest single Snell impact may only happen in 1 percent of actual accidents? And where an impact as severe as the two-drop hemi test happens just short of never?
And then this, from Dr. Jim Newman, an actual rocket scientist and highly respected head-impact expert—he was once a Snell Foundation director—puts it this way:

"If you want to create a realistic helmet standard, you don't go bashing helmets onto hemispherical steel balls. And you certainly don't do it twice.

"The Snell sticker," continued Newman, "has become a marketing gimmick. By spending 60 cents [paid to the Snell foundation], a manufacturer puts that sticker in his helmet and he can increase the price by $30 or $40. Or even $60 or $100.

"Because there's this allure, this charisma, this image associated with a Snell sticker that says, 'Hey, this is a better helmet, and therefore must be worth a whole lot more money.' And in spite of the very best intentions of everybody at Snell, they did not have the field data [on actual accidents] that we have now [when they devised the standard]. And although that data has been around a long time, they have chosen, at this point, not to take it into consideration."
I'm not trying to cause a debate here, just don't want everyone to think a 'Snell' sticker means all around better protection.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
hyper, this is all true but the thing is that there are no DOT approved "non snell" helmets out there (i'm not talking about flipups, solid FF only). or am i missing some models?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hmm, I pretty sure the HJC 'CS' series & the CL12 aren't, but I'm not positive.
Atleast from what I've read (not to say that means it's true) the CS's (except for the CS-5, which is open faced) and the CL12 didn't pass Snell standards. I've only owned CL12's (2 of them), so I haven't really done much research on others.
For a list of current (M2005) Snell approved motorcycle helmet's, click HERE.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
hyper, this is all true but the thing is that there are no DOT approved "non snell" helmets out there (i'm not talking about flipups, solid FF only). or am i missing some models?
My vega is DOT non snell.... There is also debate that trying to pass the snell test causes helmets to become to hard and pass the engery to the head instead of absorbing it..... To hell with all this exact science.... lets just put a bowling ball in the helmet and drop it 3 stories.... so long as the bowling ball doesnt hit dirt it passes :p

I own a vega altura (passed on to the g/f) and an HJC ac-11. I find the vega helmet cools better then my HJC, but at the cost of wind noise and bad wind buffeting. HJC doesnt cool as well, but on the flip side is much quieter. My ears tell me its roughly 1/3 less wind noise. My neck tells me the helmet also has less drag. Its also a tad lighter too! Also the vega has a breath sheild i really like. My HJC seems to be more of an afterthought and is good in theory only.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that Snell wouldn't certify a modular helmet as the locking mechanism didn't pass their tests. My SyMax is DOT but not Snell. The bottom line to helmets is as stated earlier--by the best you can afford and make sure it fits comfortably. Each individual must make up their own mind about wearing a lid but for me it has become a habit and I feel naked without one on.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Helmet guru

In the past 6 months I have bought 9 helmets and find my Shoei Z-II to
be the State of the Art with my Walmart Bell Zephyr coming in second and the helmet I wear most of the time. Others listed in order of preference:

3. Vega half helmet, Red Wine.
4. Chinese Aviator, Black with Gold Star, very comfortable.
5. Chinese Aviator, White with Blue Star, "
6. Nolan, a very high quality helmet and comfy.
7. EXL, modular, yellow.
8. CKX Snowmobile or MC, Red Wine.
9. Harley type German WWII half helmet, white, very little protection.:BLAM:

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
9. Harley type German WWII half helmet, white, very little protection.:BLAM:

why not the wwI german helmet with the spade on top?!?!

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
head first

I've only had the HJC CL12 Full Face.
I wear a white HJC CL12 (full face) and have really liked it. It fits perfectly. The visibility is excellent. The visor works very well. The ventilation is adequate. The liner/cheek pads can be removed and washed. It's both DOT and Snell approved. And it's relatively inexpensive. I'll probably get a yellow one (see link below) next for better daytime visibility.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=21609&department=101&division=1

For a long time I wore an open-face helmet. But after Ben Roethlisberger's well-publicized accident, I tried the full-face. It felt a little confining at first. But now that I've adjusted, I'll never go back!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts