Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a bit about myself and the project I have in my garage... I'm working on a 1991 VN750 and have discovered the shifter does not attach to anything inside... Looks like I'll be tearing this bike down and rebuilding it. I have found out the culprit is likely the rod between the shifter and transmission (I understand it is a common problem) and was wondering if the rod is actually supposed to be straight or bent? (I saw a pic in another thread that showed a broken bent rod) I should also state that I am a retired auto mechanic so wrenching on things doesn't scare me.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Welcome to the machine!

Yep, the internal rod should be be straight. Later models have a slightly larger diameter rod for strength.

·
2,519 Posts
Roach had some YouTube videos of the engine teardown. I watched all of them before I did mine.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Have no idea, been that way since I started looking. One piece at a time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have to wonder about putting a spindly little rod like this deep inside of the engine... Didn't the engineers think some poor schmuck might have to replace it?

·
Registered
736 Posts
This kooky little engine was Kawi's first V-Twin for a cruiser if I recall correctly, and they designed it way back in the early 80's. There are a lot of headscratcher design choices, like the shifter rod you've got an issue with, and the inability to replace the stator without removing the engine, but they were able to squeeze some impressive performance out of a little 750cc engine, and made a pretty unique high-revving and smooth v-twin engine, and us poor saps are still riding them even 35+ years later, so they obviously did a couple things right too. 😁

Welcome to the forum. Your mechanical skills will be a huge asset owning one of these, shops don't like 'em. But once you've got it running it's a blast to ride

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I figured as much but the bike in question is not mine, I'm fixing it for a friend. He inherited it from his grandfather and it sat for about 5 years because of the shifter. I will say that it is a good thing I love wrenching or this would be a pile for a scrap yard. Thanks for the welcome Ubertalldude.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yeah, I've got one with a broken shifter that's been sitting for ... 2 years now. Need to get on that! There's a post out there where someone said they were able to replace the shift linkage without splitting the case by performing a laparoscopic style surgery on it with a skilled helper and some sort of custom-made tool, probably to turn the lock nuts, but that's just a guess. I wish they'd given specific details on how they managed that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd love to see how they were able to get the rod changed without splitting the cases unless they cut the bottom off and made up some kind of new base for the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts