Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. Just picked up my first bike about a month ago. Happened to be a 01 vulcan 750. I gotta say it's great riding a bike around for a change. I'm used to riding motorized bicycles when I was younger. I come from the world of automotive mechanics, so it kinda gave me a leg up on bike mechanics. Definitely was a smooth transition. I got the bike with 20k miles on it. Put about 2k on it so far.

Recently I did the so called "Grambo" trick, thanks to all you guys from the forums making that info available for me, my timing chains are no longer slapping. Although I plan on buying the 20$ toc springs for them soon. I will be posting a video of how to do so when I do to help everyone out.

I've also done 2 oil changes using that rotella t6 synthetic 15w40 diesel oil. I have no complaints using it so far, however I have no experience to compare this to. Of course I also got that bit of info from this forum, thanks again.

Next up was the final drive oil. I went with some synthetic Walmart 75w90 gear oil. I'm not sure if the noise was there before, but I hear some noise from the rear area, kinda sounds like a off road mud tire on a jeep going at highway speeds when I'm going around maybe 30 to 40mph. Not sure if that's because of the oil or if the noise was there before. I do a lot of highway driving.

Then we have a coolant flush. Man was that stuff nasty in the reservoir. When I bought the bike the reservoir was empty and had sludge in the bottom. I cleaned all that out and did 2 flushes with distilled water and vinegar. Idk why my friend said it works good. He has a bike to and that's what he used so idk. Seemed to work fine for me. I will say for the record that no fluid was draining from the bottom of the pan when I removed the bolt. It was clogged with debris. I used the ink stick from a pen and shoved it up the drain bolt hole. A ton of crap came out.

Next I did the front brake pads. They were low and the rotors were scored. Not sure how old they were. Pads were only 20 bucks. I found the installation very simple. Interestingly enough, the passenger side plastic piston insert for the caliper fell out while I was compressing the piston. It kinda scared me because I thought the piston broke or something. Turns out it's just and insert. Slid right back in.

Today i actually did front wheel bearings. I had some lateral play in the front wheel and I suspected it to be the cause of the grooved rotors. I did not use the slide hammer kit that i rented, ironically. I only had to use a seal/bearing driver kit. I will say it was a bit of a pain to get the old bearings out. I ended up breaking the right side snap ring, but I was able to weld one of the tangs back on and reuse for now. I actually forgot to take that snap ring off the first few minutes when I was pounding on the bearing lol. Just to let everyone know, take off both snap rings from the wheel, bang on the speedo side wheel bearing with your properly sized bearing race adapter using a small sledgehammer (worked for me) and do this until you hear a change in the pitch of the sound (if you do this kinda work you develop an ear for it). Then there's a cylindrical spacer in between the 2 bearings. You can actually stick a screwdriver and push it off center and use a BRASS drift/punch to tap on it until the right side bearing comes out. I was dumb/desperate enough to use a thin deep socket to do this but it damaged the end of the spacer and I had to file it down on the end, outside, and a bit on the inside. After I got the other side out (easy) reinstallation was easy. I went ahead and disassembled the speedometer drive gear and cleaned/greased it. The wheel bearing kit was only 20 bucks and came with the seals for the right side wheel bearing, the speedo drive gear, and an extra, wider seal that I did not use (maybe for another model?). The speedo seal I suppose serves as the seal for the left side wheel bearing. Anyways the wheel end play is gone so I'm a happy camper.

Lastly, I bought one of those Ebay LED headlights. It's a 7" round headlight. I will say it required some hacking to make fit. I had to cut the headlight bezel ring down the middle on one side to fit the headlight into the ring, then I welded the ring back together so it would keep the headlight in place. Since this thing is universal, it did not have any type of bolt holes or mounting points, so I bent 2 of the original tabs on the bezel ring and used 2 screws thru the tabs and tightened them up against the back of the headlight to keep it from moving. It has slight end play left to right but I can live with it for now. It looks terrific though. I have yet to wire up the halo LED in the headlight (yes it has one) because I do not have a auxiliary handlebar switch.

Oh and I put in an Ebay windshield. 19x17. Looks good but tends to vibrate down and rattles on the headlight housing.

That concludes my intro. Happy riding.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Welcome to the machine!

Holy ....! You welded a snap ring together?!! Here, I have an exhaust pipe our local pro failed on.

Save your money on the replacement springs for the ACCTs. You have three better choices, since the replacement springs are known to fail in a short time.

Build your own MCCTs, about $8. Ebay MCCTs at about $24 each. Or the TOC MCCTs at $50-75 each. Many posts about all the above.

The noise you're hearing could be normal, depending how loud it is. The rear drive has a bit of harmonics in it, I hear it on mine and in some ride videos posted by others. Never hurts to know if the rear splines are lubed with the required high moly paste. Some bikes left the factory with no lube, my 2003 did. The later years are the most likely to have suffered this. Say 2000 up, but it should be looked at with every rear tire replaced.

Hope you didn't use the Dexcool for your coolant. It's in the Vulcan Verses, but it's just no bueno. I flush it when I find it.

Read, read, read here in the forum. Much great info from the past.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
We used to have a member or two from the Reading area, maybe we still do.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Welcome to the nucking futhouse

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts