Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my second post. I currently own a 2002 Vulcan 750. I am hoping this board provides me some insight into maintaining and modifying my bike. I was on here years ago.. and then dropped off as did my bike riding. Well i got my Vulcan 750 in the shop and running again.
I am hoping after all the life events that I have had,, I am ready with time and determination to ride again and put some miles on this beauty!

Also was wondering about rear splines? I saw some posts years ago about lubing these but not familiar with this.. Any one have any information on that? Would it be something the shop I took it to would check ?

I am from Richboro, Pa. Let me know if anyone else lives close to me.

Steve

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Welcome back to the machine!

Spline lube isn't something a shop would check unless you tell them to. It's not a bad job if you're mechanically inclined. A lot easier than repairing stripped splines. Your bike is in the years that left the factory with no lube. My 2003 was bone dry.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hey man,
I just did this recently and it's not too bad, but there are a couple tricks in the relevant threads that go a long ways to making it easier.
What helped me most was getting the rear wheel to drop past the exhaust pipes. Pop the bike onto the center stand, and pull the shocks off. I backed my bike up to the edge of my front walkway where there was a slight drop-off so the rear wheel would hang over the edge so the swing-arm would drop the bottom of the rear wheel below the level that the center stand was on. I did it once by putting a 1" thick piece of wood under the centerstand instead, but that was a real PITA and I was worried that I'd drop the bike.
Once the wheel is hanging, the housing around the rear splines unbolts, the axel comes out, and the whole thing comes out easily. (oh, there's the brake rod too. I guess nothing is ever truly easy)

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I was thinking of picking this up so I can get brave and check the splines. I’ve dropped my bike and picked it up with one arm out of anger but have yet to get the damn thing on the center stand successfully.

1100 lbs. Wide Deck Scissor Lift Jack Motorcycle Center Hoist Stand for Bike ATV in Blue

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/9910311823992681132?q=motorcycle+jack&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS708US708&hl=en-US&biw=414&bih=724&tbs=cat:503771,pdtr0:3209981|3209983,vw:l,init_ar:SgeyBAQI4-kg,ss:44&prmd=svin&sxsrf=ALeKk03j0A4GDSUExN1Nt3DvGpVIN2nxlw:1592937525672&prds=epd:10208591178618629419,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I used two 2x6's x 8" long to get the bike up higher. 2x4s don't allow enough safety wiggle room.

Leave side stand out temporarily with center stand down.
Tie the center stand to front wheel or frame with strap so bike doesn't accidentally roll off of center stand.

Best to start on right side of bike so side stand will stop bike from falling over if loosing it.
Stand on right side of bike and tilt bike toward side stand and slide 2x6 with foot under right leg of center stand.
Then go to left side and tilt bike towards right side and slide other 2x6 under left leg of center stand.
It's not difficult but if uncertain, have a friend hold the opposite side of the bike.

Use various thicknesses of plywood to slip under rear tire to adjust optimum height for removal.

The most aggravating part of the process was the internal cir-clip.
I used a circlip plier with removable pins.
Took two allen wrenches, cut them and made extra long pins and clamped them in the plier after grinding some grooves at the ends of the pins.
It worked but was still a tussle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cost for Spline lube?

If I took it to a shop, what do they usually charge for a spline lube? I am not super mechanically inclined and I love that I have this running again. I dont want to break it with my lack of mechanical knowledge. The instructions on that link though are very detailed!

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
If I took it to a shop, what do they usually charge for a spline lube? I am not super mechanically inclined and I love that I have this running again. I dont want to break it with my lack of mechanical knowledge. The instructions on that link though are very detailed!
That’s tough question. The local mechanic around me is a “Harley guy”, he’s good for oil changes and swapping tires and what not but things like this (although not super complicated) I just don’t think he’s the guy for that, so at least in my mind it would be something I’d have a dealer do and that comes with dealer prices.
Doesn’t hurt to make some calls

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
I'll guess $100-150 at a dealership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many miles before that spline lube issue becomes an issue if it isn't lubed correctly?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It's not something you want to postpone since it's cumulative damage. There's no "it'll be ok" amount of time, just accelerated wear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts