Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Y'all,

I'm a teacher and I plan on using my bike to commute to work. I would like to be able to save my shoes from damage so does anyone make a heel-toe shifter for our bikes? If so, will I need a larger floor board for my bike?

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Hey Y'all,

I'm a teacher and I plan on using my bike to commute to work. I would like to be able to save my shoes from damage so does anyone make a heel-toe shifter for our bikes? If so, will I need a larger floor board for my bike?
Can we not use anymore Raiders things. We got like fifty raiders people. I can't keep people straight by names. I need pitchers :loser1:

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
His question isn't about the transmission and it isn't really about equipment which I would say is stuff you hang off yourself or your bike. This is a perfect place for his question IMHO. I have issues with the Raiders however :rockon:

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
Actually a heal/toe shifter would be considered "aftermarket equipment" and is a much better fit under "Equipmemt" than "General Discussion" ....which specficlly states its for stuff that "isn't specific to one of the other forums".

And as its part of the system that changes the gears, it's technically part of the transmission...so it could have been placed there. My point here is you can argue on the concept of how "specific" something might be, but common sence points to other headings simply as a "better fit".....and the OP has been guilty of not at least trying for that better fit for his posts.

And I am guessing you have no problems with my avatar? ;)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Who cares. Maybe we can try and help the guy...

Heal toe shifter will not save your shoes much bro.

If you want a heal shifter look online. My bike has one it's an 800 drifter. But I hardly use it. Only use it to find n when stopped

Kenny

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
^ LOL!!!!! Nice Merc!

I don't see any heel-toe shifters for the VN750 online. What I do see are several extra shift levers for sale. If you can tack weld (or any other kind), it would be easy enough to flip one over and tack it going in the opposite direction of the shifter you have now. Voila, heel-toe shifter for a VN750...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciate the help Merc, Slim, and Liberty.

I wanted to post it under a specific forum. I was tempted to put it under safety, but I don't know too much about motorcycles yet so I decided to post it under general.

I apologize for the hurt feelings.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
IF you hurt anybody's feelings they need to reconsider their purpose, you are fine.

what is happening to the shoes that cause concern, I wonder cause I never met a shoe that goes bad by shifting, maybe your transmission is stiff or something?

Or do you not want to pull up on the shifter on dress shoes?

You can prolly rig a hand shifter knob.

kenny

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I appreciate the response Merc.

My father has a Vulcan 1600 with a heel-toe shifter and he kept telling me that I would tear up my work shoes with the regular shifter. I'll probably just leave my work shoes at work and ride to work in some boots.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
A lotta Jappers had heal-toe shifters...I got one on my Bessie....dunno what it cam from though....90% of the splines are the same....I believe a Honda CL 70 had a heal-toe...I bet most of the Jap "Classics" have en too...

Just search japanese shift levers on ebay....I bet ya can get one fer like $15 plus shipping....ORRRrrr...order a set of my FWD controls, lol....I reversed the shift pattern on my FWDs too, so I can use Redwing logger boots, or sneakers....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HONDA-S65-SS50-CL70-S90-CL90-SHIFT-LEVER-BRAND-NEW-/360974037748?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540bbab2f4&vxp=mtr#ht_114wt_1125

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
The one thing that makes the whole idea of shifting with your heel silly to me is you have to raise your whole leg to do so. With just your toe, you only have to move your foot.

If you're concerned about marking up your shoes by shifting, my guess here is you're wearing the wrong shoes. Not saying only wearing dress shoes is wrong, but is kinda nerdy.......

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I don't have to lift the whole leg to shift with the heel clicker. If it is setup right it's just a quick tap to up shift.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
you have to raise your whole leg to do so
Huhhhh ???....Not on my Bessie....all I need to do is pivot my foot arch on the peg....no lifting involved.....toe to upshift, heal to down....my foot stays on the peg....

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's exactly what I do currently. I have to have shined black shoes for my current job and can't walk around with scuffs in top of the left. I just throw my dress shoes into one of my bags and ride in with my old boots. Much easier (and cheaper) than trying to rig something up.

·
Registered
468 Posts
the forwards let you stretch your legs a little more and will also save on your shoes. the heel toe is hard on the shaft. maybe not as bad on the newer bikes. the forwards would be a better option.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
If yer 5'10" and over, forward controls move your pegs and shift/brake pedals forward....mine move them approx 7.5 inches fwd, and about 2 inches up....its usually just enough, especially when combined with a seat mod, to keep yer knees below rthe top of the tank....and ya want em below, for proper control....remember, these bikes were designed by Jap engineers that average 5'2", lol......even the new Harleys are too small fer me.....Id need FWDs....

I got a thread on mine someplace....search "Wolfies FWDs'....I got like 12 sets waitin to go.....both Goofin and NewRider got em, and i aint heard a bad word.....a few suggestions, but no bad words....Im sellin fer like 1/3 the goin rate.....$225 vs $639.....

PM me with yer email if interested....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts