Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Really want to ride in colder weather, but my hands can't take it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a pair of heated gloves. I'd really like a pair that have their own power source, like rechargable batteries.

They don't have to be fancy, the cheaper the better, just need a little extra warmth for the cold mornings up here in New York.....

Thanks!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Hi All,

Really want to ride in colder weather, but my hands can't take it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a pair of heated gloves. I'd really like a pair that have their own power source, like rechargable batteries.

They don't have to be fancy, the cheaper the better, just need a little extra warmth for the cold mornings up here in New York.....

Thanks!
Do such Gloves/Mittens exist ?
If so, I would think the rechargeable batteries would keep up for only a very short time.....

:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I've done some homework on this topic. I hope it helps.

I've ridden all last year and this year as well. I have a pair of heated gloves I may use in the future. they were on sale and came with a dual port controller. They just came out with the new independent power source gloves. Great for short rides, You're right it comes down to your application. I can't help you there but I will tell you that mittens are a much much cheaper alternative and THESE FUUUKEN THINGS WORK:

http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Hand-Mitts-Black-65-025-010402-11/dp/B009XIRD00/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CPQV6E2H7MAKJSEY2QC

you can wear a pair of normal gloves for safety inside these mitts. I did realize that one of the main reasons why my fingers were getting cold was the fact I was squeezing the grips so hard I was restricting blood flow to my fingers.

So forget about the heated gloves. way too expensive. Just my OP. You may think the mittens aren't so perrrrrrty but what is a bike anyway? It's transportation. The fact you are riding during such cold weather makes you a warrior! Welcome!

·
Banned
431 Posts
I've got some 12v widders that work well...

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I have stepped in. Those matters should have been handled via private messages, not how they were. All involved parties have been messages and I'm doing my best to resolve the situation. Nothing personal to anyone and no disrespect intended in anything I do as a mod.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, look at those.. So they fit over any style handle bar? My commute is about an hour, almost 40 miles. I rode in 38 degrees last year, with what I thought were good winter gloves, and my hands hurt so bad from the cold I had to stop 3 times on the way in to work to warm them up, it was hell.

So do you wear gloves under those mittens??

And you're right, just the fact that I'll be out on a bike at 7am in 35 degrees makes me cool, I dont' care what I look like. Thanks for the info!!

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Wow, look at those.. So they fit over any style handle bar? My commute is about an hour, almost 40 miles. I rode in 38 degrees last year, with what I thought were good winter gloves, and my hands hurt so bad from the cold I had to stop 3 times on the way in to work to warm them up, it was hell.

And you're right, just the fact that I'll be out on a bike at 7am in 35 degrees makes me cool, I dont' care what I look like. Thanks for the info!!
you need to keep them on the bike until the weather breaks. I have a lot of things on my handlebars so taking them off is not problem. Putting them on would take too long each day. I've ridden in single digit temps with them on and they are great. Yes, you can wear gloves under them. Good luck.

Oh yea, The reason these work so well is they have velcro. I'm not sure the other have it. I've seen other brands which were fur lined. you may go with those. However, my bike was in the rain on more than one occasion and in the morning it was so cold the gloves were frozen crispy but still kept my hands in gloves warm.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

I love that last line and understand completely.I'm a winter rider and it gets cold.I'm a little farther north.I'm about 45 minutes north of Binghamton

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
I recently went on a cruise in 28 degree weather and of course my fingers froze, I then put on a pair of the those disposable black rubber gloves I use to work on my bike, in my riding gloves. Worked great! Fingers did not feel like someone was hitting them with a hammer. Try it!

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I recently went on a cruise in 28 degree weather and of course my fingers froze, I then put on a pair of the those disposable black rubber gloves I use to work on my bike, in my riding gloves. Worked great! Fingers did not feel like someone was hitting them with a hammer. Try it!
Good point. I didn't have much luck but I tried them at at temperatures in the single digits. I had a whole bucket of those gloves. I think you can also spray your hands with an antiperspirant and that will do the same. I've been told to spray your feet with antiperspirant and it keeps your feet warm inside your socks.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I love that last line and understand completely.I'm a winter rider and it gets cold.I'm a little farther north.I'm about 45 minutes north of Binghamton
Ole Dirty Doc, I think I saw you out riding or resting. Anywho, bike must have frozen right under you you're so far north. Keep riding in the cold!

:rockon:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Ole Dirty Doc, I think I saw you out riding or resting. Anywho, bike must have frozen right under you you're so far north. Keep riding in the cold!

:rockon:
Lol.the secret is to keep moving so you don't freeze solid.and don't think that pissing yourself will keep ya warm.it doesn't.lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Good point. I didn't have much luck but I tried them at at temperatures in the single digits. I had a whole bucket of those gloves. I think you can also spray your hands with an antiperspirant and that will do the same. I've been told to spray your feet with antiperspirant and it keeps your feet warm inside your socks.
Interesting concept. Kinda like wearing eggs knee highs when I go hiking on the Appalachian trail to ward off blisters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts