Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, I found the 3 yellow wires from the stator had gotten very hot at the bullet connectors, turned brown, and were very brittle. The isulation was so brittle close to the ends that you could actually break it, like a toothpick. I trimmed some off both sides, and soldered and shrink wrapped them back together. I blamed it on high resistance at the bullet connectors. Everything worked fine for a few years. Then the stator failed. Not only was the stator burned black, but the yellow wires were so brittle that you could not bend them without breaking the insulation.

I also noticed the balancer dampers were hard as a rock, and while they were all still in one piece, they did crumble when I removed them.

So, stator replaced, damper rubbers replaced, started to put it back together, when I noticed that the wires that go to the pickup coils were also brittle and cracked under the cover, and 3"-4" past the grommet on the outside. The insulation is so bad that I am not going to risk it. Now I have to order a whole new wire harness complete with pickup coils for $160. I decided not to make my own harness, I don't know how the insulation or regular wire would hold up inside the engine. This is getting expensive.

But it also brings up some possible answers. I believe the main cause of stator failure, as well as balancer damper failure, and failure of the stator and pickup coil wires is directly related to heat. It must get AWFULLY hot in there. I always thought the stator got hot because it was overloaded or shorted somewhere. Now I believe it is engine heat that is responsible for most of the damage. Oh, that large o-ring that goes on the flat outer cover (the one with 3 screws) was also brittle, and came off in pieces.

·
200% senile
164 Posts
Plus you live in hot Arizona. LOL Not taking anything away from all the other possible and sometimes evident sources of failure, but I agree with you about the heat deterioration. Living in sizzling hot south Texas, I know firsthand the effects of heat damage to everything, including me. LOL

·
200% senile
164 Posts
How old is the bike?
Jerry has a 2002, but it has 92,000 miles on it. Mine is a 1996, my wires looked to still be in ok shape recently, but I have less that 20K on mine.

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
Heat? Yeah, that goes without saying. Especially in Arizona, or with that many miles.

Don't forget the pickup coil wires. They seem to get brittle even before the aforementioned parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts