Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace my battery today. After replacing it I noticed that when I turned the bike "on" the headlight didn't come on. I then turned the bike "off" and the headlight came "on" and the hi beam worked as well. I then turned the bike "on" again the the headlight turned "off". I try using the hi beam and nothing. Once again I turned the bike "off" and both headlight and hi beam worked. I checked the fuse and it's all good.

For some reason the headlight is working opposite to the way it should work.

Help please!!!

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You didn't mention if you tried starting the bike.
Did you double check the polarity of the battery?
I did turn the bike on. That's when I noticed the issue. And when I state I turn the bike off I mean use the kill switch.

I checked to make sure negative is with negative and positive is with positive if that's what you are referring too?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
This is very odd indeed!

Are you sure you didn't touch anything else other than replace the battery?

Was there any mods or work done prior to replacing the battery?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Didnt you mess around with a voltmeter and a Wolo horn awhile back ?...could be related to that....

...originally, was gonna make a joke and tell ya to put the taillight back on the rear fender, and headlight up by the bars, but a brokedown bike aint funny...sorry...

Methinks you need a really good wiring diagram...PM me your email, and I'll send ya. (scanned myself btw at 600p)...theyre big and readable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did have a few mods. Installed air horn, volt meter and clear alternative driving lights. They have been on over a month and everything has been working well including the headlight. Just this morning I replaced the battery and then when I started the bike it's when I noticed the issue.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I did have a few mods. Installed air horn, volt meter and clear alternative driving lights. They have been on over a month and everything has been working well including the headlight. Just this morning I replaced the battery and then when I started the bike it's when I noticed the issue.
I need to ask, what brand battery did you purchase/install ?
This one ?
EverStart ES14AHBS 210 Walmart Terminals are swapped, so install backwards and remove bottom spacer.

WilliamTech :smiley_th:smiley_th

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to ask, what brand battery did you purchase/install ?
This one ?
EverStart ES14AHBS 210 Walmart Terminals are swapped, so install backwards and remove bottom spacer.

WilliamTech :smiley_th:smiley_th
The battery is from advance auto parts ETX MGPWR ETX15L. It's an AGM

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
The battery is from advance auto parts ETX MGPWR ETX15L. It's an AGM
I gotta' Ask...
Are You SURE, absolutely SURE, the + Positive terminal is attached to to Starting Solenoid on the right side of bike (outside the battery box/behind the right side-cover) ?

WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gotta' Ask...
Are You SURE, absolutely SURE, the + Positive terminal is attached to to Starting Solenoid on the right side of bike (outside the battery box/behind the right side-cover) ?

WilliamTech :smiley_th
Yes.

Could the bike start if it was opposite by any chance? Or if I left a wire not connected?

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I did turn the bike on. That's when I noticed the issue. And when I state I turn the bike off I mean use the kill switch.

I checked to make sure negative is with negative and positive is with positive if that's what you are referring too?
Ahh, I assumed you ment the ignition switch.
Have you done the headlight relay bypass? Maybe something funky there...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahh, I assumed you ment the ignition switch.
Have you done the headlight relay bypass? Maybe something funky there...
No headlight relay pass. The only relays I have installed are two. One for the air horn and the other for the clear alternative driving lights. With the driving lights I tapped into the blue wire from the turn signal light. And with the air Ron it came from the EOM horn.

Like I stated, the one tigons have been done over a month and half ago and they have been working fine till this morning :-(

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
No headlight relay pass. The only relays I have installed are two. One for the air horn and the other for the clear alternative driving lights. With the driving lights I tapped into the blue wire from the turn signal light. And with the air Ron it came from the EOM horn.

Like I stated, the one tigons have been done over a month and half ago and they have been working fine till this morning :-(
What I mean is if you haven't done the relay by-pass mod, you may want to try it. Only takes 5 mins to move the wire on the JB.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I mean is if you haven't done the relay by-pass mod, you may want to try it. Only takes 5 mins to move the wire on the JB.
I am not electrical friendly. Can you please provide me with a step by step of how to?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
Just to be clear here....

The headlights only come on after you turn the ignition switch to on and start (or try to start) the bike. If you turn off the engine by using the kill switch....I believe this just kills the motor and NOT the lights.

I don't want to start another debate on this, but the bike should be turned "off" with the ignition key, not the kill switch.

If I understand what you mean by on and off here.....It sounds to me that your headlight relay is messed up. The suggestion to bypass it seems to be your best bet.

You might try doing a search for the proceedure ......

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to be clear here....

The headlights only come on after you turn the ignition switch to on and start (or try to start) the bike. If you turn off the engine by using the kill switch....I believe this just kills the motor and NOT the lights.

I don't want to start another debate on this, but the bike should be turned "off" with the ignition key, not the kill switch.

If I understand what you mean by on and off here.....It sounds to me that your headlight relay is messed up. The suggestion to bypass it seems to be your best bet.

You might try doing a search for the proceedure ......
I didn't know you shouldn't turn your bike off with the kill switch. I have never owned a motorcycle and when I took my motorcycle license class they had taught us to turn it off from there and then turn the key. I learned something today.

As for the headlight, when I turn the key on and press the start button and the bike starts, the headlight doesn't come on at all. When I flip the hi lo switch nothing happens the blue hi beam indicator doesn't come on either. Then when I turn the bike off, using the kill switch, then he headlight comes on and the hi lo switch works and even the blue indicator light works. When I turn the key to off everything turns off.

Help:doh::doh:please lol

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
As I said, don't want to start a debate on this, as there are many riders thàt do use the kill switch. I'll just point out that every owners manual I have looked at (and this be alot) ALL say to turn the bike off with the key. The section on the kill switch always seems to indicate they it is to be used in an emergency situation...

Regardless of all that, it does sound like your relay is, for lack of a better word, wacky. Hopefully the bypass will fix it.

And if I understand this, it will mean that your headlight will go on when you turn the ignition key to "on" .

Some folks have installed cut off switches so they can turn the headlight off manually when starting the bike, as it does take power away from the starter. (The exact reason they installed the relay)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As I said, don't want to start a debate on this, as there are many riders thàt do use the kill switch. I'll just point out that every owners manual I have looked at (and this be alot) ALL say to turn the bike off with the key. The section on the kill switch always seems to indicate they it is to be used in an emergency situation...

Regardless of all that, it does sound like your relay is, for lack of a better word, wacky. Hopefully the bypass will fix it.

And if I understand this, it will mean that your headlight will go on when you turn the ignition key to "on" .

Some folks have installed cut off switches so they can turn the headlight off manually when starting the bike, as it does take power away from the starter. (The exact reason they installed the relay)

When I put the key on the bike and turn to ON position, the gauge lights and the side lights come ON. at this point the headlight is still OFF. I then push the start button and the bike starts up. At this point the head light is OFF. The hi lo switch doesn't do anything. I then turn the bike OFF, at this point the headlight comes ON. And the hi lo switch button works, when i push the hi on the hi beam comes on and the blue indicator light comes on indicating the hi beam is on. when the button is switch to lo then the headlight goes back to lo and the blue indicators turns off. Please keep in mind the key is on the ON position. I then push the start button and the bike starts right up however the headlight then turns OFF. And the hi lo switch doesn't work again.

Like I stated it is so opposite I am lost. When it needs to be on its off and when it needs to be off its on..

1 - 20 of 106 Posts