56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone reccomend a replacement bulb for the headlight???:motorcycl

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Bartman said:
Can anyone reccomend a replacement bulb for the headlight???:motorcycl
they silvania sliver star is a mild improvment. not more light, just works better with the human eye. I am currently working on a HID drop in module. still trying to get everything to work right in the additional system on it to help keep the light level at all times. if you dont care that much about that, i do recomend a HID retrofit with a HID projector. cost is around 110-170 bucks off ebay. any questions just drop me a message on here and i'll answer it

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
hummmm....hid over rated? humm @2800 lumens for 35 watts? oh ok, you like your 900 lumens for 55/60 :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you've never installed HIDs or driven with them before, you should not comment on this. First off, HID is not a dual filament system, therefore it requires separate circuits to implement high and low beam functionality. It is an extensive amount of electrical circuitry to add on and quite simply stated, not worth the cost. Not all HIDs are created equally either, so if you're not paying for the best ballasts that money can buy, you're buying a system that's going to fail you in the near future. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that all electrical equipment is relatively unsealed on a motorcycle due to its "open air" nature. A car is a much more conducive platform for an HID lighting system, but in most cases, quite overkill.

That being said, if you spend top dollar on halogen technology, you won't be disappointed by its performance and durability. A lot of people are into HIDs for the namesake, the look, and the bragging rights - if you're into the subjectivity of the matter, go for it.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Holy light bulbs Batman?!?!? $$50+ shipping$$ you do realize that is 1/3-1/4 of a hid system right. 400 bucks on hid planet gets u full set for a car (that means 2 of them). You can use a TSX, S2000 or any other Bixenon projector and you get highs off your single filament. Did i mention u just wire that into you high beam switch, no special wiring. Oh and did i mention that the bulbs last a lot longer then ur normal bulbs. 200-400 hours is great for a halogen bulb in automotive. HID's burn in the thousands. hell takes 150 hours just to burn them in, lol. Once i get mine all bought and installed, i'll post pics. still working on an additional system to make them even better for motorcycles (the whole leaning thing)

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I've had bad results from PIAA bulbs. They are nice and bright, but they don't last long in my experience. Several friends have had the same experience with them. The Silverstars are good bulbs and seem to last. Phillips are also very good. I have a great source for bulbs if you can wait a few days to receive them. http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/default.asp has great prices, very good bulbs, and free shipping. They're in the UK so no tax for US purchases. Osram is the company who owns Sylvania, so the Osram bulbs are the same as Sylvania. I got my order in about 5 business days. So, if you have a burned out bulb, you might want to try the silverstars at Walmart.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
its cause piaa makes them for lower voltage, therefore overdriving them.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts