Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this kid almost ran me over the other day.... I had to let the bike go slid for about 4 feet.. anyway not too much damage a blinker a mirror and a quarter size ding in the tank... this happened on a gravel county road thank god there was a ditch.

Anyway I notice the headlight wasn't coming on so I check all the wiring and connectors its all good..... after I press the starter button SOMETIMES the headlight will come on but not all the time...... It was a pretty scary ride home last night....I was using my droid flashlight app as a headlight for 30 miles:doh:

so anyone else ever had this problem I think it may either be the headlight relay or something to do with the starter button cause sometimes if I turn off on off on off on ...ill get lucky and the headlight will come on but not always........have any of you just wired the headlight to an On Off Switch to bypass the whole starter button deal?

Thanks,
Harold

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I believe you r looking in the right area with the "headlight relay or something to do with the starter button". As far as "On Off Switch to bypass the whole starter button deal" ... only as a temporary measure until repair parts are obtained.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
common problem.. the relay inside the junction/fuse box is sticking.. three known fixes... most exspensive is to build a new fuse/relay box, replace the Junction/fuse box, or lastly.. easiest and cheapest.. run a jumper wire from blue wire on the junction box to the unused pin location... if you have problems understanding what I am saying, I can post up the wiring diagrams

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
common problem.. the relay inside the junction/fuse box is sticking.. three known fixes... most exspensive is to build a new fuse/relay box, replace the Junction/fuse box, or lastly.. easiest and cheapest.. run a jumper wire from blue wire on the junction box to the unused pin location... if you have problems understanding what I am saying, I can post up the wiring diagrams
damn so your telling me my junction box is jacked? relay not replaceable? would you mind posting that diagram?

Thanks slim:smiley_th

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx slim that will hold me off until i can afford a new junction box.....there is one thing though the headlight comes on with the ignition off is there another pin I can stick it in where its switched?...... I dont ride much at night but still will be a little PITA to take that side cover off every time i need to... Thats such crap that they didnt make the relays and diodes interchangeable......

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
also it is possible to get rid of the junction box, and/or adding automotive relays in the place of the non interchangeable relays. you have to take apart the JB, and unsolder the old relays, then use the same schematic to wire in standard 5 pole automotive relays.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
My Headlight Woes are GONE!

Damn, I love this sight.

·
Banned
431 Posts
no headlights may also be a symptom of ignition switch problems. Also, I have a good junction box if anyone needs one

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
This just gets more confusing. I've seen replies here that say use pin 10, 11 and now 14. *boggle*

Which one is on the same circuit as the key? So that when I turn the key to the ON position, the headlight comes on with the rest of the running lights?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
use the open slot in the 10 pin connector, its not labeled in the picture with a pin number because there is no wire going to it. I am heading outside to see if I have the old 10 pin connector from my bike.. although I think that I junked my wiring harness a long time ago.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
This just gets more confusing. I've seen replies here that say use pin 10, 11 and now 14. *boggle*

Which one is on the same circuit as the key? So that when I turn the key to the ON position, the headlight comes on with the rest of the running lights?
Why would you want the HL on before starting the bike? That would leave less juice available for cranking, which the bike really needs.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What about the reserve lighting unit. Could it be bad? The ignition switch could be the culprit as well. I don't know a lot about the wiring aspect of the bikes.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
ok everyone dont take this the wrong way but y'all are over complicating things

follow me on this word for word step for step
on the 8-pin connector of the junction box there is a blue wire in the #8 position of slims diagram

there is an empty slot right next to location #8 meaning there is only 7 wires in the 8-pin connector

now here is the quickest and easiest temp or permanent fix move the blue wire to the empty slot on the 8-pin connector this will make the headlight come on with the key it bypasses the relay

forget about the 10-pin connector it is not neccessary to jump a wire to it although it may work that way also it is simpler to do it the way i describe

and as niterider said if you got a good charging system this is a permanent fix just dont sit around with your key on engine off or it will drain your batt

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
follow me on this word for word step for step
on the 8-pin connector of the junction box there is a blue wire in the #8 position of slims diagram

there is an empty slot right next to location #8 meaning there is only 7 wires in the 8-pin connector

Unfortunately, there isn't a spade connector in that empty slot on the 8-pin connector. And I ended up destroying the spade connector trying to get it out of the #8 slot. :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts