Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Headlight wiring through a switch

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  wmsonta 
#1 ·
Has anyone wired their headlamp through a switch so the headlight could be shut off when not needed?

#4 ·
I am having a issue that with the headlamp on the voltmeter shows a discharge. I disconnected the yellow trigger wire from junction box and did the relay bypass still same problem. Stator test good 51-53 volts ac across all 3 legs. I was thinking a problem with the reserve lighting unit.

#5 ·
I have. It is the law to have a daytime running lights since the 70's on motorcycles. I have a very low watt led as daytime running light in original location to meet the law aspect. I then have primary lights added and used only when I need them on a completely different switch.

The other thing is the parking position but that is only while engine is off.

#7 ·
I know the blue wire from the JB powers the RLU. I have already done the headlamp relay by pass. I want to run a new power lead to the headlamp and bypass the RLU. I got a color wiring diagram and blew it up but even with my glasses I cannot read it well. What color wire from the RLU powers the headlamp?

#8 ·
Yes, the BL wire from the headlight relay is the power for the HL.

To wire around the RLD, connect BL,BL/Y and BL/O. If you do wire around the RLD, I did it on the devise side of the connector. I can now simply unplug the rewire and plug in another RLD. Which I will do.

We are all free men here, after my investigation on this forum I would not/will not advise bypassing the RLD.

For the RLD to 'cost' power it would have to go to ground.

#10 ·
Thanks for the info greatly appreciated! I will simply remove the wires from the connector attach them together for testing then I can replace them when I am through. I may wire the headlamp through a switch and wire my 2 led running lamps through the trigger to be "Legal"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.