Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm not exactly sure about your readings regarding ohms however, the voltage seems qute good and what I would expect from that stator. It sounds as though you did well finding out a short in the stator. I must confess the only access I have to my stator is the small opening above the "pickup coil points" and the bit of the grommet where the output leads feed the R/R. Were my stator or the stator (also Electrosport, but older) installed in my son's bike to short out there would be little I could do. Without pulling the stator as I have not done the tuxedo mod either.

His first stator (original) and the Rick's stator that replaced it were both showing as shorted out to the engine case. When they were pulled, although there was some discoloration in one place the coating on the windings looks to be intact. Regardless each of the 3 output leads on both shows a short and the stators needed replaced.

Can't help regarding the horn. The only time I find out if mine is working is when I push the button by accident. About once a week.

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
So while checking the stator I price I was grounded on all three yellow wires so I unwrapped everything and saw nothing then went to where my stator was and noticed the wires inside the stator go caught up and stredded inside it. Unfortunately I don’t have the tuxedo mod for the stator to easily accessible but I did manager to clear it out rewired the stator pull it thru the annoying horrible small pin hole and connect it all back up and looks like it’s reading good. 1.1 ohms between all yellow wires and reading 0.L when doing continuity. It’s staying around 13.2v running and doesn’t go over 13.95v when revving the engine. Surprisingly enough the headlight came back on when I put the blue wire mod back to the original setting. Sadly though the gatt damn horn doesn’t work. Good thing I haven’t taped the wires up yet. What do you think about the readings.
Your testing looks good, you don't mention the AC voltage but it doesn't look like the test is needed with the DC volts nearly 14v.

As long as it stays as it is, doesn't short to ground, it should be good.

Check fuses for the horn?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks fellas, I followed all the wires and looked all good. Finally started just taking the left compartment apart and low and behold the horn cable was no long connected to the actual horn button. Soldered it on. Everything working now.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts