Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on Sylvania Silverstar headlights and didn't get too many hits. Are most of you just using the stock headlights or are you getting the Sylvania's or PIAAs? How many have you blown a headlight while actually riding? Does the automatic switch to the other beam (high/low) really work? I live in the country and I really hate to blow a light while doing 60 mph! :(

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
I think for the most part it's a mix--some of us are using the Sylvania's....and some others are using the PIAA's. Both are easily better than the stock replacement bulbs.

If memory serves me right, the PIAAs are generally pricier.

You would probably be just as well off with the Sylvania's, in truth.

Stay away from bulbs with a blue tint. Yeah, they look cool, but they're actually don't perform as well at night or in other low-visibility conditions.

From my experience, the automatic switch definitely works. And blowing a headlight bulb while riding seems to be a pretty rare occurrence. Most halogens slowly fade with time, so after a while it's a good practice to replace them, rather than waiting for them to go out.

It's not a bad idea to keep a spare bulb with you when you ride, and the tools needed to do a replacement, just in case.

You might also seriously consider a headlamp modulator for your bike. A strobing headlamp is several times more eye-catching than an always-on beam, and will really help distinguish you from the other vehicles with daytime running lamps. Headlamp modulators are now legal in all 50 states, and Canada. Think of it as another "layer of defense" against a crash from a non-attentive cager.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Has there been any testing to determine if any aftermarket headlamp bulb pulls LESS current than the OEM bulbs? Reading all the posts about our charging system, I was just wondering if any benefit can be gained with any other bulbs available for the headlight.

Thanks!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The wattage is what will make the light brighter.
I use the 100 watt high beam with 80 watt low beam. 100/80W
there is one that is 130 high beam and 90 watt low beam. 130/90W
Standard bulb on most bikes is 60/55W.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Uh oh....
I did a search on H4s and came up with the following link that is a potpourri of bulbs types and manufacturers;
http://www.nextag.com/headlight-bulb-h4/search-html

Not sure which one would work best in our bikes for less current draw and same (or better) illumination.

For what its worth, I very rarely ride at night, so total illumination is not a huge concern. But being seen by cagers is!

Any suggestions on which one is best?

Thanks!

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
I use the Silverstars in the bikes and vehicles.
I also have come to like the Xenon bulbs.
Either way the white lights are far better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are 2 silverstar bulbs out there Silverstar and Silverstar Ultar, I recommend the Silverstar ultra as it lasts slightly longer. I haven't popped them into the bike yet, but have been using Silverstar in my cars since last 3-4 years...Once you see how they light up at night you definitely can't go back to OEM after using them. Infact that is the first upgrade that happens when a new car reaches home... usually within 30 mins of reaching home..

Now need to read up on how to replace the bulb in the bike...Since I ride mostly in day I haven't pressed my self to get it done...but with the available day light reducing each day I need to get that done sooner...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just put in a PIAA Xtreme White Plus H4 and it rocks. 60/55w = 110/100w, very bright. It does have the blue tint but the light is very white, 4000K. You'll pay more for it, maybe $35 or so, but I think it's worth it. I like to see those deer eyes light up as early as possible!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts