Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight will not come on until the bike is hot. I checked all the fuses and all the connections and everything seems to be good. Need help please!!

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Are you saying that it dosn't come on until the bike gets up to operating temp?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to drive around for quite a bit for it to actually pop on.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Sounds like you have a faulty delay switch, sorry don't know the teck name for it.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Sounds like you have a faulty delay switch, sorry don't know the teck name for it.
kemen3:

It ist a switch of sorts, it is a (delay) relay.
The relay does not allow the headlight to turn on until energized.
The relay is energized with an output (one leg of) from the stator, (w/engine running) energizing relay, allowing (turning on) power to your headlight.
Obviously, if your stator is is not 100 %...you have a problem.
To resolve your problem, I would check/re-solder/replace connectors (3 stator legs) as necessary concerned with Stator.
If the above does not resolve the problem, replace the relay. I believe a replacement of the Junction Box would resolve the defective relay problem.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
My headlight will not come on until the bike is hot. I checked all the fuses and all the connections and everything seems to be good. Need help please!!
Bypass the headlight relay. In the junction box there is a 10 pin connector. Take the blue wire out of slot #8 and put it in the empty slot next to it, # 10 I believe. This should solve your problem. The headlight will turn on as soon as the ignition switch is turned on.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Ok, here's what you do:

1.) Tilt head back
2.) Apply some eye drops in each headlamp
3.) Blink a few times
4.) ???
5.) Profit!

Hope this helps

;)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
it sounds to me like the relay is working, but has dirty contacts that won't allow a good connection until vibrations force it to make contact.

I would check your stator wires and make sure you have a good signal out put on all three legs (yellow wires) that WilliamTech metioned...just to be sure your stator is fine.

If that checks out OK, you can bypass the relay like Jm2001 mentioned. that is a good no cost fix, but the downside is that the light would be drawing current when you turn the key. This might drain the battery a little faster when you are cranking the starter.

.....OR you could replace either the Junction Box or have it repaired by replacing the relay inside.

I think NewRider was offering to replace the relays for a fee.

I also have a spare JB that I can send you for the cost of the shipping and the relay if you are willing to send me yours in return. I will just fix the bad one and keep it as my spare.

You have a few options....hope this helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will definitely try all those steps. Thanks everyone for the advice. If those don't work I will get with you kc2dgq to get 1 of those boards. Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kc2dgq what is the best way to test those 3 wires? Does the bike have to be running or off?

·
Registered
458 Posts
one way you could check to see what your stator is doing is to remove your seat to give you access to the battery. start the bike and check the voltage across the battery it sould be between 14-15 volts DC (RPM`s 3000-4000). If its not let the bike warm up untill your headlight comes on and check the voltage again. do this after you check the 3 bullet conections as mentioned before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts