Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, had a problem on my way home from a day's ride yesterday. My
headlight light came on. When I switched to high beam it went off &
the high beam worked fine. I thought my low beam burned out. When I
pulled over to check the low beam seemed to working ok, but it looked
a little weak. When I arrived home switching between the high & low
beam sometimes the high beam & headlight lights would both come on.
My question is; could there be a problem with the low beam even
though it still lights? I didn't have any time last night to pull the
headlight & check the connections. Battery is an up to date Wesco. TIA

Rich DeFiore
Vroc 4660
00 vn750
Bensalem, PA

·
Registered
200 Posts
Could be the bulb. I don't think our bulb indicator is anything more than a continuity test...bad or weak filament would indicate 'bulb out'. I use high beams almost exclusively...for better conspicuity (?). That's what I would do if I were you...ride w/ the high beams until you get around to buying & trying a new bulb.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't know, but I've been told there's some kind of reserve lighting circuit that, when one filament burns out, automatically switches to the other. It also activates the headlight warning on the dash. But I thought the warning lamp would stay lit.

Spitballing here but maybe check the junction box and make sure the headlight relay is good?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had my high beam filament burn out. I normally ran with high beam on all the time. When it went out, the reserve unit turned on the low beam and turned on headlight indicator only when I was switched to high beam. It can't sense an open circuit if it is not selected. Now I have my low beam adjusted almost as high as the high beam would be, and run with low beam, then switch to high beam when approaching busy intersections.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey Dennis, wouldn't adjusting your low beam to nearly the high beam make night driving more dangerous?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't ride at night unless it's an emergency. My night vision is so bad that I don't even drive my cage at night unless I don't have a choice. If I have to ride at night, adjusting the headlight lower is a minor adjustment of just pushing down on the front of the housing. The anti-glare coating on my bifocals helps some, but the halos and reflections are still pretty bad. You will understand when you get to be where I am now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts