Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an old vn750 89 to be exact. definitely a work in progress. the headlight is not working at all. I do see a blue wire that looks to be broken but do not see what it goes to I assume it could be related but am unsure of where the wire goes any help would be appreciated.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I don't want to ask a stupid question,but is the bulb good?if so,look into the headlight bypass.is it charging?one of the stator legs might not be good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to be honest I haven't had a chance to check yet. I got it home and noticed it isnt working. there is a blue wire hanging loose in the general area I assume it has something to do with it but it is too dark for me to check it out beyond that. I will check it out more tomorrow after work.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
to be honest I haven't had a chance to check yet. I got it home and noticed it isnt working. there is a blue wire hanging loose in the general area I assume it has something to do with it but it is too dark for me to check it out beyond that. I will check it out more tomorrow after work.
The blue wire is an accessory lead which is always hot. Pull the headlight and using a volt meter see if you have 12.5 volts going into the 3 prong headlight socket ( with engine running). If you do your headlight is bad. If you don't check the fuses. If they look good do a search here and do the " headlight relay bypass". This will supply the headlight with direct power from the battery just by turning on the ignition switch. There have been many problems with the headlight relay circuit, including mine.
One thread :http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69289&highlight=headlight+relay+bypass

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The blue wire is an accessory lead which is always hot. Pull the headlight and using a volt meter see if you have 12.5 volts going into the 3 prong headlight socket ( with engine running). If you do your headlight is bad. If you don't check the fuses. If they look good do a search here and do the " headlight relay bypass". This will supply the headlight with direct power from the battery just by turning on the ignition switch. There have been many problems with the headlight relay circuit, including mine.
Thanks Ill check that out after work. I was just worried about the blue wire that went no where mostly because the two wires that are near it are twisted and taped together which is never a good sign. This weekend I will get some heat shrink tubing and solder the wires. Hopefully I will have the headlight going tomorrow. Ill let you know

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well so far not good news. no power to the plug so i researched the blue wire trick and did that still no power. the fuse is good but I am sort of lost as to where to check for a problem.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Check wires for breaks or shorts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check wires for breaks or shorts
the wiring is not great on this bike it will take me some time I should probably re do the connections as I go. I am really terrible with wiring but Ill have to figure it out. Any idea where exactly the wires for the headlight start? I would rather not pull apart all the looms if I can be pinpointed in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks to me as though the headlight power wire goes to the reserve lighting unit. is this the case? If so shouldnt I at least have power at the red and black wire there? I seem to have no power at that unit?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
figured out the headlight. It is a bad reserve lighting unit if I bypass it the headlight comes on. but now my horn isnt working it was before but I must have knocked something loose any ideas.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
You should check the condition of the charging system if you just bought this. You'll want that piece of mind. Bad & failing stators are common with this bike & there is LOTS of info & help here for it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You should check the condition of the charging system if you just bought this. You'll want that piece of mind. Bad & failing stators are common with this bike & there is LOTS of info & help here for it.
I will look into that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts