Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 vn750 with which the headlight does not work. I have just replaced the stator with a Tim Parrot rewound one and have also replaced the regulator with a mosfet one. I believe I have hooked everything back up and done the rewiring like the instructions for the mosfet regulator said but there is still no headlight. I have also checked the junction box and I could hear it clicking when power was run through the certain connectors as shown in the manual. Does anyone have any idea what else it could be? I know it could still possibly be the junction box or the reserve lighting device but I have no idea which one would be the most likely culprit.

·
Registered
856 Posts
when you hooked up the mofset R/R did you add the yellow jumper wire back to the Junction Box?
x2.

sounds like the small yellow wire from the junction box isn't connected to one of the output wires from the stator. This is how the headlight relay gets tripped/activated when the engine is started. Alternatively, you can do the headlight relay bypass, but this will activate the headlight as soon as the ignition is turned on rather then only turning on after attempting to start the engine.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22632&page=4
take a look at post #39 and #40

If I recall correctly, the solid yellow wire in the small 10 pin connector is the jumper wire that needs to be connected to one of the stator output wires for normal functionality of the headlight relay.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have checked both headlight and fuse and both are still good. I also added a jumper from the regulator to the junction box to supply power to it but from what I read when installing it I spliced it into a brown wire that seems to power the park lights and the tail light. Is the headlight wire a different one?

I will also check into using a jumper to bypass the headlight relay in the meantime. Thanks!

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have checked both headlight and fuse and both are still good. I also added a jumper from the regulator to the junction box to supply power to it but from what I read when installing it I spliced it into a brown wire that seems to power the park lights and the tail light. Is the headlight wire a different one?

I will also check into using a jumper to bypass the headlight relay in the meantime. Thanks!
The brown wire is pretty much useless when you upgrade to the Mosfet and can be taped off and left unconnected.
The jumper wire from the Junction box should be tied directly to any one of the 3 (originally yellow) wires from the stator.

The way its supposed to work (as I understand it) is that as the stator spins up and pushes out voltage, the jumper wire picks this up and activates the headlight relay in the junction box allowing the headlights to come on and stay on until you turn the key off.

If you do the headlight relay bypass, you don't need to hook the jumper wire up. I just pulled min out of the harness connector.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...Ive always hated them brown wires....ask Merc and KC....they were designed into this machine by satan hisself....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts