1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ya'll!!!
First i wish you guys a Happy thankgiving day!!!!:beerchug:
Here is what's going on Kawa:
yesterday i was riding ( daylight ) and everything was doing good....As the sun went down, i've noticed that my Headlight wasn't working at all. Glad i was only a couple miles from home.
First i thought it was the bulbe, so i replaced it and still nothing.
So i started to check thing step by step so i can solve this issue.
Stator is Good
Batterie is Good
Fuse for Headlight is Good
Headlight switch is clean
Connectivity is Good
Only thing wrong is that there is no "juice" going to the bulbe.:(
PLEASE can someone help or have any advice.......
Thanks in advance.....

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Did you check that you have power at the fuse, if so do you have power going into the light controler?
If so do you have power coming out and at the bulb socket.
If Yes to all the above start checking your ground.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Spinner,
I do have power at the fuse.
I don't have power going to the light controler.
I don't have power coming out at the bulb socket.

thanks for being so prompt man.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
When my headlight wasn't working, checking the stator showed the problem.
Fried stator! But you say that the stator is good, which is a good thing!
Did you check the continuity of the fuse, or did it just look alright?
I've had fuses that looked OK, but weren't.
If you have power at the fuse, but not the light controller, I would think the problem has got to be somewhere between those two points.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Hi everybody.....
How can I check the stator?
Unplug and test the three yellow stator wires;
they should be .34 to .52 ohms between any
combination of the yellow wires, with no shorts to
ground.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Check out this post too, might be a bad diode in the junction box
http://vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4057

Other cause may be a pinched wire (under the tank is a likely culprit since sometimes these wires get pinched and worn after putting a seat back on(

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Dianna,
I've checked the three yellow wire like you instruct me to.
I get , for any combination 1 ohms.......
I guess it means that my stator is fried or not????? :(
Thanks everyone for advices...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Before you jump on the bad stator wagon, mine had corosion in the junction box. Might want to check it out

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Picking up this thread again

Hi, All -Looks like leftiflight got his problem solved, but Orleans is still not lit. I'm gonna try the junction box switcheroo mentioned in the thread Dianna has noted, but that may not be the issue - I've got continuity at both plugs on the headlight, and the light works if I just hook it up to the battery. I may still have to check the ground. However, just so I'm not on a complete snipe hunt, can someone tell me - in simple terms - how these lights are wired? I'm tracing the Br/Wh wire off the ignition switch to the junction box...and now assume that some miracle occurs in there that closes the headlight circuit. But how would I test that? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
There's a relay circuit in the juncion box that engages once the engine has started. I don't know of any way to test it but it seems that if the light lights when hooked to the battery, that relay would be the prime suspect. I know that there is another relay in there for the radiator fan and that relay is bad in my junction box. I've managed to live without it but the headlight is a different story.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Thanks, Jim. I did manage to find a wiring diagram that shows what's going on in the junction box - a few diodes, a few fuses, etc. I guess once something's shot in there, though, the whole box has to be replaced?

Here's a dumb question on the wiring, though: I have tried various and sundry teeny-tiny screwdrivers in an effort to close down the female lead on the blue wire so that I can move it to the empty slot...it's not budging. I know when I was pulling stator wires and whatnot, I didn't have any troubles, but this is a bear. Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Cindy,

I did read here somewhere that someone had actually taken the back off the junction box and fixed one of the relays. I can't remember whether is was Edalbris or Ozkaw or someone else. I do know it was someone who had reworked the bike to the point that it wasn't recognizable as a VN750 except for the engine.
As far as the connector goes, I haven't had any problems removing connectors except for the RR which I destroyed and then replaced with individual blade connectors. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
As far as the connector goes, I haven't had any problems removing connectors except for the RR which I destroyed and then replaced with individual blade connectors. Sorry.
LOL
I'm well on my way to doing that, but I have an old wiring harness (well, bits and pieces) sitting in the garage as a back-up. I think I'll switch out junction boxes (McK to O) and see if that indeed is the problem. If that is the problem, I may end up cutting the blue wire off of the blade/female/connector thing, soldering a new piece of wire onto it, and attaching a new connector. I don't know why that one's being so stubborn, but it's cranky on my back-up harness, too. :hitanykey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts