Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little help please. I will install a Diamond Star Headlight Modulator from www.signaldynamics.com as soon as I get it via UPS. The wiring instructions are pretty simple, until you get beyond the last step. In the special instructions. It states "For bikes that have headlight(s) that stay on any time the key switch is on regardless of the/low beam selector: ( Such as the Honda GL 1800)

1. Connect the headlight modules red wire to the positive source for the headlight(s) that stay on all the time.

2. Connect the headlight modules red wire with white stripe to the headlight(s) that stay on all the time.

3. Cap off and do not use the blue or blue with white stripe wires.

This will only allow the lights that are on all the time to flash. This is necessary because connecting all lights would overload the module, and cause both sets to flash out of sequence with each other which would be illegal.

Question: Do these instructions apply to a 2005 VN 750 since the headlight high/low beams are on all the time with the key switch?

Would you know which wire(color) I would have to use if these instructions apply?

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Not laughing, good question. A headlight modulator makes your low beams flash during the daytime so you stand out better in traffic. A tail light modulator flashes your tail light for you when you break. There are seveal different MFGs for both.

Here is one with more detailed information.

http://www.kisantech.com/kisanWeb3/frameSample.htm

RB

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
EXACTLY!!!! And for them to be annoyed they have to NOTICE you don't they? Which is the entire point!!!!

I do not use my headlight modulator when I am following other motorcyclist or other vehicles as a rule. However If I am lead bike I do use it, and if I am in heavy traffic or drivers in front of me are getting squirrly, I do turn it on. Sometimes if I am approaching interesections or lots of side roads and I see people trying to get out I also turn it on. It works, they notice you .

The only times I've had people pull in front of me is when I did NOT have it on.

The tail light flashes three times and then steady, then pattern repeats only when you have the rear brake on, just like the riders course suggests you get in the habbit of doing when you brake all the time... To warn the drivers behind you that you are breaking.

RB

nitrofish420 said:
I would think having a flashing headlight or taillight would be a distraction to other drivers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, my point is it would be a distraction, possibly causing another accident entirely. Better others than yourself though, I guess.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nitrofish420 said:
Well, my point is it would be a distraction, possibly causing another accident entirely. Better others than yourself though, I guess.
If drivers are distracted by a modulated headlight they shouldn't in the drivers seat. Annoyed? Perhaps, but I don't care about that. Notice we're there, I hope so, and I do care about that. I don't wish anyone to get in a accident, but you're right nitrofish, if it is someone, I hope that it's the one in the cage.

·
Registered
160 Posts
nitrofish420 said:
No more of a "distraction" than flashing lights from emergency vehicles I wouldn't think. Now that 90%+ of cars and truck have driving lights we need something to make us stand out.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Right. Actully it is less of a distraction than emergency vehicle lights with their strobes, etc... It is enough to help get you noticed, as you don't blend in with the other vehicle and street lights. It is different and stands out.

However I don't use it riding behind other MC riders as it can be a distraction to them.

RB

Fallguy said:
No more of a "distraction" than flashing lights from emergency vehicles I wouldn't think. Now that 90%+ of cars and truck have driving lights we need something to make us stand out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i installed a headlight modulator today from www.comagination.com got a combo deal includes modulator plus a four flash brake light modulator ,$90. including shipping has a one year warrantee. was dark when completed installation ,but tested in driveway,with flashlight,tomorrow will connect the brake light system. going with the default high beam during the day.i will get back with a follow up on results of being more noticed on the road. regards ken smith

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
The modulator is more for daytime noticeability. I think most states even have regulations about night time usage. What it does is make you more noticeable. Let's you stand out from the norm. It's not a bright blaring flash of light. Works on the same principle as the Back-off modulator for your brake light that does several quick flashes before going steady so people hopefully notice when you are stopping or slowing, only the headlight modulator is constant to let them know you are there and headed their way *L*
I am all for every bit of being noticed so whoever does hit me can't say.. "I never saw the bike" Lights are our best defense.

·
Registered
76 Posts
kas750, Red Baron, Sgt Mike

Any updates from using your modulator over the period of time. Does it shorten the bulb life....Did a policie officer evr pull you over for flasing headlights...

I haven't read the websites yet..so I don't know how these things work...but could tell incase of headlamp does the low beam filament stays on and the high beam filament flashes ...

Also during your research did you find any additional acessory such as an additional lamp for the stop light which could also have the rear modulator ?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have the Diamond Star, Works great and only works in the day. There is a photo optic that turns it off when the light drops to dark.
It really gets peoples attention to see you. The new one only hooks up to the High beam, there is also a override switch to turn it off. I would not ride without one.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
B K R said:
kas750, Red Baron, Sgt Mike

Any updates from using your modulator over the period of time. Does it shorten the bulb life....Did a policie officer evr pull you over for flasing headlights...

Also during your research did you find any additional acessory such as an additional lamp for the stop light which could also have the rear modulator ?
I have used one for 2 years and have not had a bulb go out on me.

The MOdulator is legal for use in the daytime in all 50 states, it will come with a letter stating that from the National safty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts