Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dug into my wife's 750 and found a couple of the stator wires melted together in the plug, everything on the bike was still working fine. I repaired the wires. I also noted that there was a 15A fuse in the headlight spot, I changed this to a 10A per the rating. Now when I crank the bike over to start, the headlight comes on dim, and when it starts no headlight?? The electronics control center "Headlight" indicator lamp is not lit.
Any ideas before I dig into this further...I don't really relish putting the 15A fuse back in, I don't want to just band-aid the issue. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.
Thom

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dug into my wife's 750 and found a couple of the stator wires melted together in the plug, everything on the bike was still working fine. I repaired the wires. I also noted that there was a 15A fuse in the headlight spot, I changed this to a 10A per the rating. Now when I crank the bike over to start, the headlight comes on dim, and when it starts no headlight?? The electronics control center "Headlight" indicator lamp is not lit.
Any ideas before I dig into this further...I don't really relish putting the 15A fuse back in, I don't want to just band-aid the issue. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.
Thom
P.S.- I believe I followed forum etiquite and searched the posts for "headlight problems" prior to posting and did not locate anything similar.
THX

·
Registered
476 Posts
It sounds to me like there is a short somewhere. This is one area I hate, mine has a short too and the headlight relay and backup thing is melted on mine.

Try checking the battery, r/r and stator first to make sure you have all the right readings. The volts must be good, if not that is a good indicater of the problem. You may have to trace the wires down to find it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds to me like there is a short somewhere. This is one area I hate, mine has a short too and the headlight relay and backup thing is melted on mine.

Try checking the battery, r/r and stator first to make sure you have all the right readings. The volts must be good, if not that is a good indicater of the problem. You may have to trace the wires down to find it.
Thanks...I have checked the bulb, the plug at the bulb and the associated wiring in the bucket, no VDC. I'll do the basic checks you suggested to ensure all is ok, however testing the idle voltage it is 12.18, drops on the two lighting fuses to 11.75?? All other lights are OK, will go to dimmer next and begin tracing....man I hate this too, wespecially when the wife just got her permit yesterday and now she can't ride her bike.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Check the ground wire on the plug that goes to the regulator; mine was fried--no headlight. Fixed it by replacing the plug with individual terminals, since I couldn't get that one out of the plug to replace it--got headlight. Best check _all_ the R/R plug terminals, for that matter; don't recall for sure, but I believe one of them is the trigger for the reserve lighting device, which holds the headlight off 'til the bike starts...I think...

(It's been a long day...)

Jim

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice all! I dislike electrical troubleshooting!
Found an intermittent open somewhere near the LH side of the neck, after I pulled the neck cover and began to investigate, the light "magically" came back on. Did I mention Electrical is not my fav... So now I'm on the hunt for the elusive open...thanks for all the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts