Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I purchased a 2000 Vulcan 750, got a smokin deal on it, everything works but the headlight. I have changed the bulb, and the fuse... all other lights work. I have put a multimeter on the connector and I get nothing... I have tried to trace the wires using a wiring diagram I found on here and everything looks to be wired right, but some of the colors seem off. I don't think the Reserve Lighting unit is bad since all the other lights work. any help or direction would be great.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hi GW,
Welcome!

The headlight (when stock wiring is in place) runs off of a relay that gets triggered by one of the three legs of the stator. If the stator is bad or if the relay is shot (both very possible), then you won't get headlight.

Look up the 'blue wire mod', which involves swapping some of the wires around in order to bypass the relay in the junction box. It could be that someone already tried that, which is why the wires on the bike don't match what you're expecting from the schematic.

The Reserve lighting unit only controls the headlight, other lights working are no guarantee. There is a simple bypass mod for the RLU as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@Thorn thank you for the info, I saw the RLU bypass post... the only wire I see that is different from the schema was one from the headlight connector... I have a black/red and the schema shows a Blue/Red (but the label says B/R?)

The Blue Wire bypass worked... my Hi and Low beams are switched around but i'm pretty sure that's my fault from what I was doing earlier to try and diagnose my issue. so again, Thank you @Thorn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts