Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed lately that when getting the RPM's up a little, my headlight (and onboard lights) get very bright. Then, after a little bit, sometimes they will suddenly dim back down. I am just wondering if this might be a first symptom of the R/R going bad?

The battery has been maitaining charge and the bike is running excellent, so I am REALLY hoping it isn't the stator going. I have read all about the headaches with it, and even read through the stator cover mod on here (which sounds like a very cool thing - if only I had the tools and such).

I am just wondering how concerned I ought to be that I might get left on the side of the road anytime soon.

Thanks all :smiley_th

AZ Kev

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
It could be as simple as the voltage monitoring wire (the brown one) not making a good contact to the R/R.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Yeah, before you freak out , check and clean all your connections in the whole charging system. Do a check to for possible shorts, a loose wire can create havoc when trying to diagnose an electrical issue.

Also keep in mind even with a brand new bike , I noticed a increase in headlight brightness when increasing rpms over idle speeds.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on - thanks guys.

I wondered about that KM, as I know that some amount of brightness variation is normal. I'm glad you pointed that out. And the advice about checking all the connections and such is sound indeed.

I remember an old Chevy truck I used to have... thing ran great, and I truly loved the old beast. But every now and then, it would just die - I mean like DEAD. I checked and checked everything I could think of, but it was so random, I just couldn't figure it out.

So my dad came over one day to give me a hand. He had me try to start it while he reached up under the dash and randomly jiggled a bunch of the wires. Sure enough, there was a connection under there that had come just loose enough to break the entire circuit and cause the truck to shut down occasionally. I redid the connector under there, and the problem was solved - for 0$!

You would think that would have learned me good, but apparently, I still need reminders sometimes, as I seem to be getting "Sometimers" in my old age! Lol

Thanks again guys - I won't freak, and if anything changes, I'll surely let you (and everyone else) know : )

AZ Kev

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had the same problem a couple of months ago. Lasted for about 2 weeks, then the engine started "jumping" rpms and cutting out on me. Turns out the Negative battery cable was loose. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Also use a meter to get an accurate reading of how high the voltage is going. If it gets too high is could burn some electical components. 14 to just a bit over is okay.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know Byorec, that sounds like exactly what I am experiencing. I think I will check my battery cable connections, as well as the other wires as everyone suggested.

I noticed last night that it was doing it really bad - headlight and running lights would get extremely bright, then dim down, then get bright again. I think I even noticed a little cutting out last night too.

I guess I am a little scared about the possibility of the stator or r/r going out, from all the horror stories I read about that on here. I don't have the tools or the talent to do the stator cover mod that is detailed here on the site, and I sure don't want to sink a bunch of $ into it. So I guess what I am saying in short is, please, please, PLEASE let it be the battery connections! Lol

AZ Kev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts