Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you turn the bike on the headlight flashes and you can hear the flasher relay clicking. All turn signals are disconnected. What is hooked up incorrectly?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is it a steady flash? Could be a headlight modulator? I believe thats what they are called. Causes the headlight to flash. Is it stock?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The headlight is stock. Last year I replaced the wire harness with a used one on ebay and since then the headlight flashes. I think the harness is newer then my bike so I was wondering if maybe wires are different? I don't think this harness has the headlight modulation, if it does I haven't found it. Its a steady flash looks just like if ur turn singal was on, but your headlight is flashing instead. Doesn't change if I put the high beam on or put one of the turn signals on.

·
Registered
458 Posts
There is a yellow wire that goes to the 10 pin connector of the junction box. It would be a good thing to know what that voltage is doing, if its steady or pulsing. See if you could start the bike and check that voltage, im not sure if you could do it with the connector off or not. Maybe you could probe the back of the connector, just be careful. It would be VAC. This wire comes from your stator and is used to control the headlight relay. Just read the post again, is it the flasher relay or the headlight relay thats clicking. the headlight relay is inside the JB and from what i can tell the turn signal relay is just behind that.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its definitely the flasher relay. Disconnect it and the light turns off. Reconnect it and turns on and starts again.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Do you have a wiring diagram of the headlight circuit? The schematic im looking at has 3 wires for the turn signal relay.
orange/grn = Power coming from the junction box via the ignition switch, Black/yel = Ground & orange = goes to the turn signal switch (splice with a Orange/grn that goes to the hazzard switch). Speaking of that is your hazard switch depressed? not sure if that matters or not. Also there is a 8 pin connector on the JB, from what i can see there should be a blue wire going to pin #8, if you take the connector off with the lock facing up its the 3rd pin from the left on the bottom row. This wire comes from the headlight relay and goes to the reserve lighting device. Hope this info helps out some. I am assuming you didnt have this problem untill you replaced the harness, or is that incorrect? Or was everything working fine and all of a sudden this started happening.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not following what you telling me to do. And this just happened when I replaced the harness. What would my hazard button have to with the headlight?

·
Registered
458 Posts
The hazards should have nothing to do with the headlight, its just when the hazard are on the turn signal lights flash also. So I was curious how the head light was flashing, is the turn signal switch off and the hazard switch off and it still flashes? I guess i didnt explain that very well. The other things I mentioned is just so you could see if the correct color wires are going to the right connectors. I also noticed looking at the headlight schematic there are some differences between u.s/canada models and non u.s/canada. Not sure where you bought the used harness from, maybe its not an issue.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Headlight flashes all the time doesn't stop if the turn signal is off or on, only if you remove the relay. I guess I could try and disconnect the left switch and see. I'm pretty sure it was a US location. I will double check.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Just a silly thought .... change out the relay and eliminate the painfully simple. It almost sounds like the relay has turned into a flasher .....

But then I haven't finished my first coffee of the day yet.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Just a silly thought .... change out the relay and eliminate the painfully simple. It almost sounds like the relay has turned into a flasher .....

But then I haven't finished my first coffee of the day yet.
The thing is, if the relay is faulty or weak, it wouldn't be so consistent. It would either not work at all or flicker randomly like a loose bulb in a socket and you'd hear it chatter. Has to be some difference in the harness that feeds the HL relay. Does the HL flash right away without hitting the starter button? It shouldn't until the starter circuit is activated. Just trying to piece things together..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you get them cheap for a parts store or do you have to get one from kawi?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right now the motor is off the bike. In the process of finishing up my stator replacement. So it happens when the bike is in the "on" position. It did it last year right after putting the harness in but haven't had time till now to work on it. I think with just the frame and wire I can play with it more before putting the motor in.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think the other two guys are getting the flasher and the headlight relay confused, Just like I had thought you may have done in the begining. But that wasnt the case. Since we know that the headlight relay is inside the junction box.
Im curious, what are the wire colors attatched to the flashers connector? Im also wondering if there could be a short inside the harness somewhere or the person you bought it from may have done a repair that wasnt correct.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When my kid leaves @ 5 Ill run out and check the wires on the bike. I will also try disconnecting the left switch.

·
1,100 Posts
No confusion about a flasher versus a relay. My point was that it doesn't seem to be a problem with either, but with the wiring, and not to waste money on a flasher or relay. Didn't know your engine was out. I'll observe quietly now. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sorry about that dave, I mis read what you said. I think were on the same page. It just I was confused at first thinking it was the headlight relay that was clicking.

·
1,100 Posts
No problem at all ifix. I'll tell ya I'll definitely be watching to see what is the outcome. I wouldn't wish harness problems on anyone :-/ . Take care.
Dave

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The flasher connector, are you referring to the turn signal flasher? From what I recall it has a org/green, black/yellow, and I think a solid org.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts