Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Vulcan 750 that was pretty cherry until a few weeks ago. I took a slide recently on the bike and scuffed the headlight rim. When I opened the headlight housing I found the regular connector attached and in place but there were also two additional multi-wire connectors there that were unused. I believe these to be for additional accessory add-ons but would like to know exactly what they are for. I have been thinking of adding driving lights in the future and would like to know if some of the necessary wiring is already in place. Can anyone shed some light here so I can avoid removing all the black tape and tracing the wires back to their origin? I appreciate any help and insight on this matter.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
There are 2 sets of accessory wires on the vn that I know of, one outside the headlight bucket and another by the right (I think?) side cover, under the seat.

Never been inside the headlight bucket yet, and the wiring diagram doesn`t reveal anything to me about unused connections in there.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Gordon and Slim are right but be aware that the accessory connectors are live all the time. So if you connect an appliance to them you have to remember to shut it off when you turn the motor off or hook up relay to do it for you.

·
Banned
431 Posts
How do using these accessory connectors affect the stator issue? Do more accessories increase your chances of burning up a stator?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
From what I understand, from info from here, is that the stator is at full force at all times. The voltage varience comes from the engine rpms. The excess volts are shunted to ground by the regulator. So the problem to burning the stator comes from not being able to cool it enough. City driving seems to be the biggest problem. The extra lights should not cause a problem. I did use lower volts light than the 55 watts that I had bought originally.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to everyone for the information so far. Does anyone know what accessories these wires were originally meant for? On a pure guess I would think possibly driving lights as one possibility which I do want to add now or very soon. I also want to add a meter for the charging system and an accessory outlet.

I really appreciate all the help.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thank you to everyone for the information so far. Does anyone know what accessories these wires were originally meant for? On a pure guess I would think possibly driving lights as one possibility which I do want to add now or very soon. I also want to add a meter for the charging system and an accessory outlet.

I really appreciate all the help.
I think those wires are only 18 gauge or smaller, and do not think they are heavy enough to run any serious driving lights. I would run driving lights off a relay triggered by the ignition switched wire to the light on the licence plate. This is a safety as well as a convenience issue to me. If the licence plate light fails you have not lost any head, tail, running or turn signal lights. Having the driving lights and headlight on separate circuits lets you get home in the dark, if one or the other fails.

IMHO the accessory wire sets were put there just for convienience in hooking up what ever an owner might desire, not for any specific factory accessorys.

You could use the set in front as a source for a dash mounted voltage meter, but the reading may be be 0.3-0.5 volts lower than a relay controlled direct connection to the battery with heavier wire. The side set could be used to install a cigar lighter for charging a cell phone or other electronic gear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts