Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know the riding season is slowing for some riders in different parts of the good 'Ol U.S.A. But we still need to remember that safety is numero uno. Any who, check this link out and click through the 28 pictures taking by a photographer at the Dragon. Guy made it but was in critical condition. This was written by a rider on another forum who knows him. "Jeff is now stable but still in critical condition. Injuries he has sustained include fractured skull at frontal lobe and orbital area, missing four front teeth with torn lip, facial reconstruction in the future, broken C1,C2,T3,L2,L3 and L4, broken ribs on both sides and collapsed lungs with lacerations to liver and kidney. Thank you for all your love, prayers, and support."

http://xtremesportsphotography.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK01AY080000&po=0&pc=28

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
with the pics moving so slow you dont really realize how fast he was going until it shows the impact glad the guy is ok

·
Youngster
154 Posts
Yowza. This was eye-opening. What an awesome thing to capture pictures of, however, the accident would not have happened if the camera man wasn't there clearly. Hope the guy comes out of it okay.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Yowza. This was eye-opening. What an awesome thing to capture pictures of, however, the accident would not have happened if the camera man wasn't there clearly. Hope the guy comes out of it okay.
The fault lies not with the camera man but with the rider. You can see instead of countersteering more to sharpen his turn, he stood the bike up (likely by hitting the brakes) and rode right towards the car.

And from the list of injuries.... Makes me like my full face helmet even more.....

Hope the guy comes out OK.....

·
Youngster
154 Posts
Yes I noticed the way he straightened up. He panicked and made the wrong decision. I'm glad I got a full face helmet also, that's my money maker haha

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I think there are literally a thousand better ways you could have said that.

The fault lies not with the camera man but with the rider. You can see instead of countersteering more to sharpen his turn, he stood the bike up (likely by hitting the brakes) and rode right towards the car.

And from the list of injuries.... Makes me like my full face helmet even more.....

Hope the guy comes out OK.....
I agree 100%. I'm of the mind; if you lose focus, it's your fault. I lost focus recently and it took all of a nanosecond for me to be on the ground. Besides, I'm not convinced there was even a camera man present. Doesn't the Tail have those camera posts all along it? Like those things roller coasters have where you can purchase your picture afterward?

Well anyway, I hope the guy makes a speedy and full recovery.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Not disputing the fact that a full face helmet would likely reduced the seriousness of his injuries.I am aware of several mistakes he made .The first one, he was not paying attention to what he was doing.He was waving at the camera,Then when he did look back where he should have been going he saw the Vette and gave it his attention, "target fixation"?We all know you go where you are looking at when on a bike .He didn't stay in his turn for whatever reason,That curve was easily taken, he either got on the brakes hard and stood the bike up or just naturally drifted toward what he was looking at.

The number one piece of safety equipment you have, came installed in your head,your brain.Keep it in the game at all times and most of these types of accidents won't happen,and You won't have to see how well your helmet performs in a crash.

I pray this guy is alright and others learn a lesson from these photos.
Ya'll be safe out there!!!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
There are at least 2, but I think more now besides the ones that took that picture, they set up on different curves and sell your pictures on site...
As to the accident, one of those deals that you go where you look (Target fixation) could have had a bit to do with it as it seems to almost play mind tricks when you get in a spot, as he was, probably did see the photographer and let his mind go flat for an instant...
He also looks like he may have scraped a bit just before he streightened up, that scares the crap outa some riders...
Not goin against what was said earlier, just offerin another thought...
One reason that I like ridin sorta fast is that it keeps my mind locked into what I'm doin... And, I still like my Full Face helmet...
Glad he is still with us, and wish for a speedy recovery...
PS-Denny you beat me by one minute, target fixation, couldn't think of the words (CRS)...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Looks like to me that he was focused on that camera and was going too fast for the turn, leaned it over and dragged a peg then hit the brake and straightened up. After that it was game over.

When I make my little trip to Ohio in Aug. I road the Dragon 3 times. The last time I took a break going north bound and was eating lunch near the top Four bikes and a small car I guess were racing, bikes in the lead and car behind, came screaming by. Once I finished eating and got on up the road about a mile or so I came upon the accident. A crotch rocket and the car both off the road and down the side of the mountain. I didn't stop as there were about 15 people there already. The cops and an ambulance passed me 10 or 15 minutes later at the bottom of the run headed for those guys.

In both cases, I wish the best for all involved.

Later in the week as I was tagging along with Denny and the boys, I rode trail and was always a bit behind when coming out of the twists and turns. But remember ride within your limits and keep alert. It's not how fast you make it thru a turn, it's that you make it thru safely that matters.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Looks like to me that he was focused on that camera and was going too fast for the turn, leaned it over and dragged a peg then hit the brake and straightened up. After that it was game over.

When I make my little trip to Ohio in Aug. I road the Dragon 3 times. The last time I took a break going north bound and was eating lunch near the top Four bikes and a small car I guess were racing, bikes in the lead and car behind, came screaming by. Once I finished eating and got on up the road about a mile or so I came upon the accident. A crotch rocket and the car both off the road and down the side of the mountain. I didn't stop as there were about 15 people there already. The cops and an ambulance passed me 10 or 15 minutes later at the bottom of the run headed for those guys.

In both cases, I wish the best for all involved.

Later in the week as I was tagging along with Denny and the boys, I rode trail and was always a bit behind when coming out of the twists and turns. But remember ride within your limits and keep alert. It's not how fast you make it thru a turn, it's that you make it thru safely that matters.
Dave makes a a good point here,ride within your personal limits.

I do ride a bit more aggressive than some but less than others ,I know my personal limits and sometimes push to the edge of them and the scraping sound does scare some people .

I enjoyed our trip to OH with Dave and made it down to the Smoky mountains last month and rode the Dragon once while I was down there,but it is too crowded.I met my goal of not being caught or passed by another rider and heard some scarping sounds most every turn.I think it was a matter of timing more than me being fast,But that is one more crossed off the list.

I am getting out of here and headed to The Red River Gorge to meet some Friends from Central KY,you all have a good one and see you on the highway.:smiley_th

BTW ,riding with Dave has it's advantages ,It is the only time I ever got over 50 MPG,Come on back up when you can Dave! You are good people:)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Denny, already thinking about my trip for next summer. Who knows, might just head up that way again. And as for the Dragon, off my bucket list, done that 4 times so there are other places to go and check out.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Dave, you could pick up Chuck in Hartselle and come on up and maybe I could jump in, I know a couple of good rides up in that area that are not crowded at all...lol...
Ole Chuck is a goodern to ride with also, and I would like to meet you and Denny sometime...
Denny sayin he didn't get passed on the dragon makes me think of the last time I rode it... Me and my ridin buddy were doin pretty good I thought, the crowd was off durin the week, and we were just havin fun in the curves, well I didn't know there was anyone within a mile when I looked up and saw this sign that said no passin, well about that time this crotch rocket passed me so fast that it only seemed like ping and he was gone, I told my buddy later that I would have shot the SOB except he was gone before I could draw...lol...
I do not like ridin the dragon either, too many idiots, takin too many chances...

·
Registered
458 Posts
No big exploitation for me, however I did notice the brake light at photo #17. The bike straight for a bit maybe he could have braked sooner. But like it was said befor hard to tell how fast he was going. Looked like it shattered the fender of the vet. Prayers for his recovery.

·
Registered
445 Posts
May have to do that Old Dog. Come next May I'll start getting a serious itch again. But also have been thinking a bit about going to Calif. and see my family that is out there. That would be a nice 6,000+ mile ride for me but the wife would rather go on a cruise. So east of the Mississippi is a better option.

Here's me going thru the same curve.... Loaded and riding... Don't get any better, does it? Dave on the Dragon

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Can't figure out to get stuff to link up yet on this new puter. Go to youtube and type in 'Dragon Time lapse' and it puts the pictures in a slowmo movie. Just before the bike upright it appears sparks come from under the bikes belly,Appears the rear tire jumps over to the left. Could be the pipes draging from the lean to the right. Comments say that another biker was hurt even worse later from hitting the oil left on the roadway.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dave, you could pick up Chuck in Hartselle and come on up and maybe I could jump in, I know a couple of good rides up in that area that are not crowded at all...lol...
Ole Chuck is a goodern to ride with also, and I would like to meet you and Denny sometime...Old Dog...
Sounds like a plan to me! And I can garrantee you Old Dog can put you on some good roads!:notworthy

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Dave, is this the same curve I'm on, but goin the other way...??? It sure looks like it could be...lol...

What do you think...???

PS-Chuck, we need to take a ride up into E. Tn., E. Ky., on N.C. and get togather next year (Spring/Summer/Fall) with Dave or Denny...
I'm tellin you, there are some great roads up in that Gen. area that are not eat up with other riders like the Dragon...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Hey OD and Dave,I think this is the same one too

You and Chuck do need to meet up with me down that way,I found a few of the "other roads"while I was down there.28 around Fontana Lake was a pretty good one.I'll make sure to slide further south this year and meet up with you boys.I'm in ,we have all winter to plan it ,Anything down around the Big South Fork area worth looking into?

PS,my photo was taken from Killboy's website and I just noticed that not only our custom container from Wally world is the same ,I have the same camo case Logic Camera case that you have on your side.Great minds think alike..but so do morons ,lol.

Back on topic, I still think what failed on this old boy was between his ears.Pay attention out there folks!!!!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Wow...I been avoiding this thread due to the title, but glad I read it...ya know, I used to do roads like this all the time years ago...on the edge...well...I dont need that adrenalin rush no more...been dead twice, shouldda been 4 times...I wanna see at least one grandchild....nowadays, I normally "PUTT"...and I aint talkin golf...
I mostly do group rides now, unless Im riding local to do laundry or get beer and such...and on the group rides, I slow it down thry nasties...KC2 even yelled at me once that I was goin too slow...well, when I lead a ride, I feel responsible for every bike behind me. So, I crank it down. Id rather end a ride at a pub with some good food and smiling brothers, than need to be visiting one in the hospital. But this is just my mindset. Id be happy at 50mph on an old 45cu in VL...ya takes the risks, ya gotta learn to pay....
There's and old Russian saying..."If you like to sleigh down the hill, you better learn to like pulling the sleigh back up"...and so goes it with gonzo riding.

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
BTW, my understanding is that the cameraman should be at least partly at fault, because he sits there and waves at people to get their attention. He was an intentional distraction. Obviously he didn't want this to happen, but he was trying to get "that" shot of some guy riding by and IMO contributed to the accident.

It's like if there were some big breasted woman on the side of the road flashing riders. Wouldn't she be partly at fault if she caused someone to be distracted enough to crash? How is that different from a cameraman on the side of the road trying to get riders' attention for a photo?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts