Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a progressive 412 from a HD motorcycle.(see link) I am not convinced that it is. I received it yesterday and it definetely looks used to me. The seller claims it is brand new from the description of the ad. Can someone chime in and confirm the validity of the shocks? I have no clue on what to look for to confirm whether it is a progressive shocks. Thanks. I am currently at work and will come back to post some pictures of the shocks when I get home.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=120922438128&nma=true&rt=nc&si=%252B53adJEFsIcruAGvM8wFsEAvfRE%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I have a set of those in the garage. I'll take a pic to cross-reference. I think mine had a progressive label on each shock, though.

Great price if they are legit. I think that is what I paid for my used set.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
They look like the ones I bought too.Mine also have the progressive label on the top chrome piece.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Based on the pics, the shocks look used to me. I can see water spots on the chrome and the grommets around the mounting holes do not have that new black look. Like others have said, the shocks should have a progressive sticker on them. I would also think that the shocks would have been housed in their own plastic bag for protection. Seems like a shady seller to me.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
The shocks do look like they were installed for a bit.

My progressive shocks have stickers on them as well but my notches for the spanner wrench look like bow ties.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i thought, what do you guys think? Should I settle and keep or dispute? The ad outright claimed brand new in box but not new when I received it. See below for images I took with my Iphone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
They're used; no doubt about that.

Will you find 412's for $125 again? Probably not. Maybe some low feedback is required, but they're almost worth keeping. There is a kit you need from progressive with the right bushings, I think. PN 5011-008

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I don't know what shocks those are, but they don't look like progressive suspension to me. PS shocks have "bow ties" for adjustment.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
does the spanner wrench that came in the package even match up to the holes in the shocks?

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I would dispute this 100%! I would take the shock to a HD dealer and see if they can match it to one of their own. If a match is found, have them print the reference. This way, you will have some solid ammo to shoot back at the seller and win your dispute with them.

BTW, the pic you took, that rubbed spot would not be on a new shock.

DISPUTE IT! DISPUTE IT! Good luck!

EDIT: Is there a serial #, model #, or any other #'s on the shock itself? This will help in ID'ing the shock.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I checked mine, and they are not the same. The lack of bow-ties is the give away.

Dispute!

·
Registered
191 Posts
It looks like someone put some 412's on a HD (I'm thinking Dyna) and put the old shocks in the box.. I've been looking for a set and see then selling from $25 to 65 locally depending on the seller.. But 125.. no way! Do you see a part number? or logo at all?

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
You were scammed. Dispute it immediately through eBay! Do not wait!

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I sent the seller a generic message that the shocks they sold were NOT Progressive but rather stock Harley Davidsons. DISPUTE IT NOW!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Should I send the seller a message first or file directly with ebay?

EDIT: Ok first step is to contact the seller. I did and if he doesnt make things right Im going to open an Ebay Buyer Protection case. Anything else I'm omitting? Can anyone suggest to dispute with PayPal as well?

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I sent the seller a generic message that the shocks they sold were NOT Progressive but rather stock Harley Davidsons. DISPUTE IT NOW!
My message to the seller:

Dear dee5998,

I hate to say it but those are NOT Progressive shocks. Progressive shocks have "Bow Tie" holes for the spanner wrench. Those are stock Harley Davidson shocks that you just sold.

- cunnilingist

Sellers Response:

Dear cunnilingist,

Hi, That is how I got them, just assumed they were what the box advertised as being Progressive. Is there a problem with them being Stock Harley shocks? I really don't know anything about this type of item. Please let me know. Dee

- dee5998

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Should I send the seller a message first or file directly with ebay?

EDIT: Ok first step is to contact the seller. I did and if he doesnt make things right Im going to open an Ebay Buyer Protection case. Anything else I'm omitting? Can anyone suggest to dispute with PayPal as well?
Give the seller a chance to make things right. You have two options:
1. Request a FULL refund including they pay for shipping of shocks back to them.
2. Keep the shocks and get a partial refund.

BTW, here was my response back to the seller:

Dear dee5998

The shocks you sold were USED and from a Harley Davidson Dyna. I would expect the buyer to contact you and dispute the sale. Also, these shocks are selling for as little as $40 shipped on eBay.

- cunnilingist

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Deuce:

Thanks for giving the seller a heads up. I contacted him and promptly received a reply. He will give me a full refund but I have to pay to ship the shocks back to him.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Deuce:

Thanks for giving the seller a heads up. I contacted him and promptly received a reply. He will give me a full refund but I have to pay to ship the shocks back to him.
No, you do not.

Request they generate a shipping label or submit a complaint to PayPal immediately. You do not have to pay anything to return a fraudulently presented item.

Edit: Even if the seller claims to know nothing about motorcycle items, the shocks were clearly used, but sold as new. They're in the wrong on so many levels.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts